Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 59 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Basketball 2020-2021: Uncertainty Galore!

Re: NCAA Basketball 2020-2021: Uncertainty Galore!

Gonzaga is playing Auburn today with two players out after testing positive.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Gonzaga is playing Auburn today with two players out after testing positive.
    I thought the initial report was that the players out were not rotation players?
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I thought the initial report was that the players out were not rotation players?
    Doesn’t look like they are major players but still, it should be a cause for concern given they just played Kansas last night, playing Auburn today, and WVU possibly on Wednesday.

It could be those two players or you could have a Baltimore Ravens situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Doesn’t look like they are major players but still, it should be a cause for concern given they just played Kansas last night, playing Auburn today, and WVU possibly on Wednesday.

It could be those two players or you could have a Baltimore Ravens situation.
    then after WVU, they have #2 Baylor....that has to be the toughest non-con schedule in the country through the first couple weeks of the season...also, if they beat the Top 3 or 3 out of 4 teams in the Big12, that will be a bad look for the conference.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

San Francisco up 51-48 over #4 Virginia with 5 minutes left in game.....
    ― Marcus Aurelius

San Francisco up 51-48 over #4 Virginia with 5 minutes left in game.....
    SF up by 7 points with 2:07 left.....UVA on major upset alert
    ― Marcus Aurelius

- Georgia Tech is down by 11 in the 2nd half to Georgia State....this has to be the Josh Pastner farewell tour this season?
    Doubtful re: Pastner. Long story is that when Radkovich was AD (now at Clemson), GT went on a massive building spree in their athletic facilities. They took on a ton of debt. Since then they have paid an insane amount of buyout money to Paul Hewitt, Brian Gregory, Paul Johnson and to Temple to get their new fb coach.

IOW, they’re broke.

And losing to Georgia State isn’t really a surprise. Ron Hunter did big things and left GSU in great shape for Rob Lanier. Lanier has made an effort to add the size and depth that Hunter teams rarely had. I watched the entire 4ot game. Panthers went 10 deep with little dropoff between starters and reserves, and that’s without 2 rotation players out w/ injuries. It’s a program that ought to be the best in the state even though it isn’t in a P5 conference.

The San Francisco Dons knock off #4 University of Virginia 61-60!
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Doubtful re: Pastner. Long story is that when Radkovich was AD (now at Clemson), GT went on a massive building spree in their athletic facilities. They took on a ton of debt. Since then they have paid an insane amount of buyout money to Paul Hewitt, Brian Gregory, Paul Johnson and to Temple to get their new fb coach.

IOW, they’re broke.

And losing to Georgia State isn’t really a surprise. Ron Hunter did big things and left GSU in great shape for Rob Lanier. Lanier has made an effort to add the size and depth that Hunter teams rarely had. I watched the entire 4ot game. Panthers went 10 deep with little dropoff between starters and reserves, and that’s without 2 rotation players out w/ injuries. It’s a program that ought to be the best in the state even though it isn’t in a P5 conference.
    yes, I am kind of familiar with some of the situation, but after this season they can terminate him and only owe 60% of next year (which is last year of extension). That would be 60% of $2.4 Million which is $1.44 Million. The kicker is if he is retained this summer, he gets a $500K bonus. So they either pay him $2.9 Million to coach or $1.44 Million to no coach.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

UVA reminds us that, well, maybe it's NOT actually that easy to go 18-0 in the WCC.

And it looks like Howard needed to do a bit more recruiting than just picking up Maker. Belmont and Quinnipiac pounded them back to back to start the season.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 11-27-2020 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    UVA reminds us that, well, maybe it's NOT actually that easy to go 18-0 in the WCC.

And it looks like Howard needed to do a bit more recruiting than just picking up Maker. Belmont and Quinnipiac pounded them back to back to start the season.
    I think it was more UVA did not show up to play, and San Francisco did.....and by the time UVA realized they were in trouble, it was too late. I have a hard time believing San Francisco is a good team when they lost to UMass Lowell River a few days ago. Both UVA and San Francisco played Towson this season and UVA won by 35 points and San Francisco beat the same Towson team by 11 points.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I think it was more UVA did not show up to play, and San Francisco did.
    But that's the point, isn't it? To go undefeated you have to show up every night. Because when you're Gonzaga (or a top team like UVA), the other team always shows up.

But that's the point, isn't it? To go undefeated you have to show up every night. Because when you're Gonzaga (or a top team like UVA), the other team always shows up.
    Sure....but there are multiple teams in the ACC, Big10, Big12, SEC, PAC12, Big East and even in some of the very good mid majors like the A10 that would not need UVA to "not show up to play" to win.....they could beat UVA if UVA just had a bad night shooting, got into foul trouble, etc. I think San Francisco just caught a very good team that viewed them as not a threat....probably even a waste of time to a degree, and to San Fran's credit, they took advantage of it. I thought you could almost see it in UVA's eyes when they realized "crap, we could lose this game" but it was hard to just flip the switch at that point....and I would guess if there was 30 more seconds of clock in that game, UVA would have snuck out with the win.

In fairness to UVA, they are not the only very good team I have seen that happen to in recent days. It almost seems to be a theme with there not being any scrimmages, exhibition games this season on top of the early season tournaments being far less prolific compared to most years....good teams are getting caught not understanding they have to play hard to beat some of these non NCAA tournament teams. UVA just realized a little too late.

None of that impacts my thoughts on Gonzaga....they have clearly been the best team I have watched play to this point....and it has not really been close.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Sure....but there are multiple teams in the ACC, Big10, Big12, SEC, PAC12, Big East and even in some of the very good mid majors like the A10 that would not need UVA to "not show up to play" to win.
    That's exactly right. Winning them all isn't easy. No matter which league you play in.

That's exactly right. Winning them all isn't easy. No matter which league you play in.
    I mean, I get it....you are not a fan of a team like the Bad Boy Mowers Crossover Classic 2020 Champion WVU Mountaineers, therefore your expectations probably should be less. As everyone always says, there can only be one Bad Boy Mowers Crossover Classic Champion in 2020, and that is the WVU Mountaineers.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?