Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 59 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Basketball 2020-2021: Uncertainty Galore!

Re: NCAA Basketball 2020-2021: Uncertainty Galore!

St. Joe's started the year 1-14, but they are riding a 4 game winning streak coming into the A-10 quarters this afternoon against UMass. I'm cheering for the mother of all Cinderella stories to play out in Richmond. The Hawk will never die!

It's not QUITE random that the Hawks are seeing a resurgence right now, though. Star guard Ryan Daly, who has scored 1794 career points and averages 19.8 points per game, came back from injury just as the 4 game streak commenced.

2. Turn Off Ads?

At one point Richmond was 6-1 with wins over Kentucky, Loyola Chicago and Vandy and their only loss by 10 at WV. They just ended their season in disgrace losing at home to Duquesne in the A-10 quarters, finishing 13-8. That's a tough fall from grace.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    At one point Richmond was 6-1 with wins over Kentucky, Loyola Chicago and Vandy and their only loss by 10 at WV. They just ended their season in disgrace losing at home to Duquesne in the A-10 quarters, finishing 13-8. That's a tough fall from grace.
    They were the sexy preseason pick as the best mid-major. If I recall, they were ranked when we (WVU) played them.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Too bad UTEP choked it away tonight. Would have been fun to see them win at KU.

The Missouri Valley quarterfinal between Northern Iowa and Drake has been canceled due to a positive Covid test by Northern Iowa. Drake will advance to the semifinals. Ironically the MVC was the only conference without any games that were canceled due to Covid... until now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Pat Kelsey has Winthrop dancing.

Miracle Final Four run aside, Loyola WAS a terrible choice. Granted, it doesn't matter since that league is barely even a low major now that Wichita State and Creighton are gone. Their conference champ was projected to be a 14 or 15 seed if there was a tournament last year.
    Ahem....
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

9. Likes:

BillDoran (03-08-2021),Chip R (03-08-2021)

Zags got what was likely a much needed test from projected 7 seed BYU tonight. Routed the Cougs in the second half to get a deceivingly comfortable looking win.

When was the last year that went wire-to-wire as the #1 team in the country? I did a little, very little, research, and it may have been the 75-76 Indiana squad.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    When was the last year that went wire-to-wire as the #1 team in the country? I did a little, very little, research, and it may have been the 75-76 Indiana squad.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991%E...asketball_team

Looks like the 92 Duke team did it even though they had 2 losses.

13. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-10-2021),texasdave (03-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991%E...asketball_team

Looks like the 92 Duke team did it even though they had 2 losses.
    2014-2015 Kentucky team that lost to Wisconsin in the Final Four.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    2014-2015 Kentucky team that lost to Wisconsin in the Final Four.
    Right but they didn't go wire to wire because of that.

16. Likes:

texasdave (03-10-2021)

This weird season puts an asterisk next to Gonzaga if they are UNDEFEATED national champs IMO. Gonzaga gets plenty of respect from me, but I don't think we can claim this is the same thing as that Indiana team (or as it would have been for UNLV or Kentucky or Wichita State).

This weird season puts an asterisk next to Gonzaga if they are UNDEFEATED national champs IMO. Gonzaga gets plenty of respect from me, but I don't think we can claim this is the same thing as that Indiana team (or as it would have been for UNLV or Kentucky or Wichita State).
    They'd be 32-0 if they did it with some pretty solid wins. I guess Gonzaga would always have a bit of asterisk on the undefeated part just because most of their conference is pretty bad. I'd have a hard time taking anything away from them if they do it. It's hard to win 32 in a row no matter the situation.

There's no asterisk if they do it. They'd finish with the same 32-0 record Indiana had. Indiana beat teams ranked 2, 8, 17 and 20 during their nonconference season. Gonzaga beat teams ranked 3, 6, 11 and 16 in theirs. Indiana clearly would have the better conference schedule, but the Big 10 wasn't exactly a juggernaut that season. Indiana played exactly one ranked opponent in conference play that year. (Polls only went to 20 instead of 25 now so they probably would've had a couple extra games, but the point still stands.) It would certainly count as much as if UNLV had done it considering Gonzaga played a better nonconference schedule and a similar conference one.

20. Likes:

Chip R (03-13-2021)

Turn Off Ads?