Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Basketball 2020-2021: Uncertainty Galore!

Re: NCAA Basketball 2020-2021: Uncertainty Galore!

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Pitino played Indiana.
    I know he did. He did stop the Kansas series though and I think UNC. I meant it as Cal and Pitino both ended series that were popular with fans.

If UK fans had their way, they’d play every blue blood school possible and no cupcakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I know he did. He did stop the Kansas series though and I think UNC. I meant it as Cal and Pitino both ended series that were popular with fans.

If UK fans had their way, they’d play every blue blood school possible and no cupcakes.
    You right about Kansas and UNC. Also ended ND for the most part. I think Cal does it right with such young teams. He knows he could get destroyed early on with big names. It has happened a few times. Pitino also ended the old UKIT. It was mostly cream puffs but I liked going to it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Scheduling is kind of a wild card right now with the NET....it will take a while before coaches really understand how to "manipulate" or "optimize" their scheduling. Many had the RPI down, and the NET even used some elements of the RPI in its calculation last season....but it was removed for this upcoming season. A lot of fans did not really understand why WVU's SOS, NET, and other metrics remained solid last year even as the losses began to add up.....they would look at the schedule and not see anything that really stuck out. If you looked closer, the noncon schedule was full of "good" and "very good" mid majors which gave their schedule weight without having to play Duke, UK, etc. Scheduling bad mid major teams will kill a teams SOS.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

UK ain't the only one...as an IU fan I remember the Hoosiers playing UCLA, Kansas, Carolina, Louisville, UC, Notre Dame, as well as UK. We still play ND every other year.

I want blue bloods myself.

they hit OK State pretty hard with a one year post season ban, multiple years of probation, scholarship and recruiting limitations.....Kansas is probably shaking in their boots. It really sucks for OK State because they had the #1 recruit in the country coming in this year and were supposed to be solid.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...investigation/

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    they hit OK State pretty hard with a one year post season ban, multiple years of probation, scholarship and recruiting limitations.....Kansas is probably shaking in their boots. It really sucks for OK State because they had the #1 recruit in the country coming in this year and were supposed to be solid.

OK State may offer #1 recruit Cade Cunningham a release.....would think Florida and UK will be in the mix. How ironic would it be if Cunningham went to Duke, a school that everyone knows paid Zion and then get the #1 player in the country because another school got punished for breaking the rules.....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...aa-tournament/

NCAA Basketball 2020-2021: Uncertainty Galore!

OK State may offer #1 recruit Cade Cunningham a release.....would think Florida and UK will be in the mix. How ironic would it be if Cunningham went to Duke, a school that everyone knows paid Zion and then get the #1 player in the country because another school got punished for breaking the rules.....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...aa-tournament/
    UK was second in his recruitment to OK State. Having his brother on staff was the key factor.

Cal has a scholarship left so anything is possible. Only thing that sucks is Devin Askew reclassified because Cunningham committed to OK St. Had he come to UK, Askew would have stayed in the 2021 class.

My guess is the G-League though or even Florida if he goes to college since Nembhard is transferring.
    Last edited by WVRed; 06-05-2020 at 05:49 PM.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Not directly college bball related, but St. Joseph Central Catholic High School which houses Huntington Prep basketball has announced the end of their relationship....which would seemingly end the Top 10 national program. If you are not familiar with the way these programs are set up, Huntington Prep is a basketball focused high school program, but the athletes attend St. Joseph Central Catholic High School for their academic education. Huntington Prep directly pays St. Joseph Central Catholic High School the tuition for players. Due to COVID-19, Huntington Prep fell behind on tuition payments which caused the school to sever ties. On the surface, it would seem short sighted, but I assume the school does not view basketball as a primary part of the schools mission, and feels it must simply treat the athletes as students that have failed to pay tuition. I would think that the collegiate boosters whose schools often benefit so much from having 4 or 5 blue chip players in Huntington, WV every year would have found a way to funnel the $54K in past due tuition to Huntington Prep? WVU's top recruit in this class is from Huntington Prep and some of their notable alumni include Andrew Wiggins, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 NBA draft; Gorgui Dieng, the No. 21 overall pick in the 2013 NBA draft; and Miles Bridges, the No. 12 overall pick in 2018.

It may all work out as there are reports Huntington Prep may just cross the river and enter an partnership with a catholic school in Ohio.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

If I was Louisville, I would be concerned.

Not directly college bball related, but St. Joseph Central Catholic High School which houses Huntington Prep basketball has announced the end of their relationship....which would seemingly end the Top 10 national program. If you are not familiar with the way these programs are set up, Huntington Prep is a basketball focused high school program, but the athletes attend St. Joseph Central Catholic High School for their academic education. Huntington Prep directly pays St. Joseph Central Catholic High School the tuition for players. Due to COVID-19, Huntington Prep fell behind on tuition payments which caused the school to sever ties. On the surface, it would seem short sighted, but I assume the school does not view basketball as a primary part of the schools mission, and feels it must simply treat the athletes as students that have failed to pay tuition. I would think that the collegiate boosters whose schools often benefit so much from having 4 or 5 blue chip players in Huntington, WV every year would have found a way to funnel the $54K in past due tuition to Huntington Prep? WVU's top recruit in this class is from Huntington Prep and some of their notable alumni include Andrew Wiggins, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 NBA draft; Gorgui Dieng, the No. 21 overall pick in the 2013 NBA draft; and Miles Bridges, the No. 12 overall pick in 2018.

It may all work out as there are reports Huntington Prep may just cross the river and enter an partnership with a catholic school in Ohio.
    Didn’t the coach from there have a prep school in Beckley at one point? The one Deniz Kilicili(?) played for before going to WVU?

Does Huntington Prep belong to the state association or do they just play a national schedule? I don't see how that would be within OHSAA rules.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Does Huntington Prep belong to the state association or do they just play a national schedule? I don't see how that would be within OHSAA rules.
    I am pretty sure they just play a national schedule....they definitely did not play for any type of state championships within the state of WV.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Didn’t the coach from there have a prep school in Beckley at one point? The one Deniz Kilicili(?) played for before going to WVU?
    I am not really sure....Kilicli played @ Mountain State Academy which I think was in Beckley. I think Arkell Bruce is the coach @ Huntington Prep right now. Beckley Prep IJN is coached by Cortez Brown....not sure if they basically just replaced MSA or if it is something totally different. Also, I know Tracy Dempsy started Heritage IJN in Ravenswood recently, and he was a coach @ the Mountain Mission School in Gundy, VA where WVU got Maciej Bender and Oscar Tshiebwe was there when they initially began to recruit him. I even think that school in Putnam County....Teays Valley Christian has began to produce Power 5 recruits. Honestly, that whole world always feels a little shady to me....these programs pop up....some stay, some disappear. All of the ones in WV just do not feel stable like similar schools in Florida such as Montverde or IMG.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

The beginnings of the findings from the Williamson case revealed:

- Williamson's family stayed in a North Carolina property with a monthly rent of just under $5000, up from the nearly $1000 rent they paid in South Carolina.

- Three cars-- a 2018 Mercedes G Wagon, a 2016 Yukon, and a 2015 Escalade-- were registered to Williamson's parents.

As an FYI, Sampson (Zion's mother) was a public school teacher. I cannot find Lee Anderson's occupation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    The beginnings of the findings from the Williamson case revealed:

- Williamson's family stayed in a North Carolina property with a monthly rent of just under $5000, up from the nearly $1000 rent they paid in South Carolina.

- Three cars-- a 2018 Mercedes G Wagon, a 2016 Yukon, and a 2015 Escalade-- were registered to Williamson's parents.

As an FYI, Sampson (Zion's mother) was a public school teacher. I cannot find Lee Anderson's occupation.
    Nothing like the "Duke way."

Turn Off Ads?