Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ahmaud Arbery Murder

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Ahmaud Arbery Murder

The line between "stand your ground" and vigilante justice is way too thin for comfort.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Infuriating, but not surprising:

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/watch...9HrndjyWYjB2L/

BRUNSWICK —
    Two Glynn County commissioners say District Attorney Jackie Johnson’s office refused to allow the Glynn County Police Department to make arrests immediately after the Feb. 23 shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery.

The GBI announced the arrests of Travis McMichael, 34, and his father Greg McMichael, 64, on Thursday - more than two months after the fatal shooting. They were denied bond Friday afternoon.“The police at the scene went to her, saying they were ready to arrest both of them. These were the police at the scene who had done the investigation,” Commissioner Allen Booker, who has spoken with Glynn County police, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “She shut them down to protect her friend McMichael.”
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    The line between "stand your ground" and vigilante justice is way too thin for comfort.
    Stand your ground means you have no requirement to run away (hoping you can run faster than your assailant and they don't shoot you in the back) and you can defend yourself. What does that have to do with vigilantes? Those folks actively go out and hunt, like the ski- masked, bat-weilding antifa crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Infuriating, but not surprising:

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/watch...9HrndjyWYjB2L/

BRUNSWICK —
    Two Glynn County commissioners say District Attorney Jackie Johnson’s office refused to allow the Glynn County Police Department to make arrests immediately after the Feb. 23 shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery.

The GBI announced the arrests of Travis McMichael, 34, and his father Greg McMichael, 64, on Thursday - more than two months after the fatal shooting. They were denied bond Friday afternoon.“The police at the scene went to her, saying they were ready to arrest both of them. These were the police at the scene who had done the investigation,” Commissioner Allen Booker, who has spoken with Glynn County police, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “She shut them down to protect her friend McMichael.”
    They seem to have had no choice to do this now. The national coverage its seen due to celebrities like LeBron James and some other NBA stars means they had to act. Shameful that’s what it took.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Stand your ground means you have no requirement to run away (hoping you can run faster than your assailant and they don't shoot you in the back) and you can defend yourself. What does that have to do with vigilantes? Those folks actively go out and hunt, like the ski- masked, bat-weilding antifa crowd.
    I posted a link to an article that pointed out a few examples where it went wrong. The way the law is written, if anyone can convince the jury they felt their life was in danger, they can justify shooting them. Some people have used that to shoot someone when they are in a fight and losing.

Jury’s were buying it for awhile, but lately, fortunately, a few have rejected some of the more extreme cases.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

It is hilarious to me how much Antifa scares some.

Like a couple dozen people with baseball bats in the PNW. Meanwhile you have the Michigan militia camped out at a state Capitol with assault rifles and masks on and these same people are like “hell yeah brothers! 2A!”

Antifa has been hyped up by the media. Has anyone here actually seen a member of Antifa in real life?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

8. Likes:

bounty37h (05-11-2020),marcshoe (05-10-2020),WrongVerb (05-09-2020)

I've not. I've not seen one of the militias like the militia in Michigan in person either. They both seem pretty awful.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It is hilarious to me how much Antifa scares some.

Like a couple dozen people with baseball bats in the PNW. Meanwhile you have the Michigan militia camped out at a state Capitol with assault rifles and masks on and these same people are like “hell yeah brothers! 2A!”

Antifa has been hyped up by the media. Has anyone here actually seen a member of Antifa in real life?
    I must have missed the Antifa reference here. What happened?

And say what you want about the Michigan militia, but a guy who was mad that his wife had to wear a mask at a Dollar store in Flint has killed more people than those guys.

11. Likes:

bounty37h (05-11-2020),Sea Ray (05-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Ok. Continuing this discussion is better done behind the P&R wall.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Man who recorded Ahmaud Arbery shooting receiving threats, lawyer says

The man who shot the consequential video of Ahmaud Arbery’s killing is now receiving threats amid cries for his arrest, his attorney said.

The revelation comes after the Georgia Bureau of Investigation revealed the identity of the videographer, William “Roddie” Bryan, and announced he is under investigation.

“Mr. Bryan, his fiancee, his children, his siblings and other family members, friends and neighbors now live in fear despite the fact that Mr. Bryan has committed no crime and fully cooperated with the investigation into the shooting,” Bryan’s attorney, Kevin Gough, said in a statement to First Coast News in Glynn County Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    This is 100% correct
    Yes. It's murder. I don't think there's much to dispute that.

The only minor thing I contend with is that I don't think the kid was 'out for a jog.' There's more to the story that we don't know about but the murderers deserve whatever comes their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Yes. It's murder. I don't think there's much to dispute that.

The only minor thing I contend with is that I don't think the kid was 'out for a jog.' There's more to the story that we don't know about but the murderers deserve whatever comes their way.
    What are you suggesting he was up to?

16. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (05-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I don't think the kid was 'out for a jog.'.
    Why?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

18. Likes:

Kinsm (05-09-2020),Larkin Fan (05-10-2020),Wonderful Monds (05-09-2020)

Shorts, t shirt, running shoes, daylight, known HS athlete, consistent runner.

Obviously not out exercising eh?

20. Likes:

Larkin Fan (05-10-2020),Redsfaithful (05-10-2020),RedTeamGo! (05-09-2020),Wonderful Monds (05-09-2020),WrongVerb (05-09-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

welp

22. Likes:

Griffey012 (05-09-2020)

Turn Off Ads?