Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ahmaud Arbery Murder

Re: Ahmaud Arbery Murder

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I've run many thousands of miles in my life, it would probably be sobering to consider all the things I've done while running that could have been an issue if I weren't white. All the places I've gone, the weird times of day. I've run late at night my whole life. When I was a student at Ohio State living in a dorm I used to move my car to the West Campus lots and run back the South Campus at like 2-3 in the morning all the time.

I put it down for awhile sometimes and then pick it back up, but running has been one of the best things in my life for mental health, and it hurts my heart thinking of how the freedom I've had with it isn't available to everyone.
    I run all the time at night right now and feel the same way.

There is a house two houses down from mine that was completely renovated. My kids run up the driveway all the time and go to the backyard to look for bunnies. We walk back there with them and look around. Did this a few days ago. The thought never crossed my mind I could be shot and some dude on a message board could say “see, RTG! Wasn’t some innocent.” After I got gunned down in the street during a run. And then I remember I have white skin so that wouldn’t happen.

People that don’t think white privilege is a real thing in our society, I just don’t know what to say anymore. At this point it’s just denial.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

bounty37h (05-11-2020),Redsfaithful (05-10-2020),Rojo (05-11-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I run all the time at night right now and feel the same way.

There is a house two houses down from mine that was completely renovated. My kids run up the driveway all the time and go to the backyard to look for bunnies. We walk back there with them and look around. Did this a few days ago. The thought never crossed my mind I could be shot and some dude on a message board could say “see, RTG! Wasn’t some innocent.” After I got gunned down in the street during a run. And then I remember I have white skin so that wouldn’t happen.

People that don’t think white privilege is a real thing in our society, I just don’t know what to say anymore. At this point it’s just denial.
    If I was a black guy, every time I jogged I would wear a shirt that said "I am just jogging. I did not rob a store". I would leverage that white guilt like nobody's business and run through the nicest neighborhoods.

It's possible to think that he wasn't really jogging and doing things he shouldn't have been while also believing he shouldn't have been murdered because 2 doofuses completely overreacted.

Again, I don't really think these guys were looking to kill an African-American. They were overzealous hillbillies and things escalated pretty quickly. There's obviously more to the story. We know Ahmaud wasn't a saint. Does that mean he deserved to be killed? No, but it gives some insight into why these guys acted the way they did. Of course, they could be complete and utter racists. That's just my opinion though.

A couple of other points:
    1) People keep saying he was a 'kid' including myself. I didn't even realize he was 25 until today.
    2) Again, I don't fully believe he was jogging and just looking at newly built houses. That doesn't mean he deserved to die.
    3) I don't really care about these stories because it's a lot of sensationalization of 1 case when there are plenty of other cases out there the roles are the opposite. It's like the 'pretty white girl' thing. Plenty of other African-American or 'ugly girls' go missing all the time but for obvious reasons, only certain demographics make the national news stories.
    Last edited by Todd Gack; 05-10-2020 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    It's possible to think that he wasn't really jogging and doing things he shouldn't have been while also believing he shouldn't have been murdered because 2 doofuses completely overreacted.

Again, I don't really think these guys were looking to kill an African-American. They were overzealous hillbillies and things escalated pretty quickly. There's obviously more to the story. We know Ahmaud wasn't a saint. Does that mean he deserved to be killed? No, but it gives some insight into why these guys acted the way they did. Of course, they could be complete and utter racists. That's just my opinion though.

1) People keep saying he was a 'kid' including myself. I didn't even realize he was 25 until today.
    2) Again, I don't fully believe he was jogging and just looking at newly built houses. That doesn't mean he deserved to die.
    3) I don't really care about these stories because it's a lot of sensationalization of 1 case when there are plenty of other cases out there the roles are the opposite. It's like the 'pretty white girl' thing. Plenty of other African-American or 'ugly girls' go missing all the time but for obvious reasons, only certain demographics make the national news stories.
    In reverse order:

3) There is a video tape. No one cared about this story for months when there was no video. Release of the video made it a big story for obvious reasons.
    2) if it doesn’t change the verdict, who cares what he was doing before or if he wasn’t a saint? If a person is killed by a hit and run driver, do we look into where they went before they were hit, or care about their past? Smearing the victim only seems to happen in very particular cases.
    3) 25 is a kid in my perspective
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Georgia AG wants to toss the ball to the Feds.

Georgia attorney general requests federal investigation into Ahmaud Arbery killing

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/georgi...bery-1.5564010

The local DA who gave these 2 a pass since she worked with the father should be investigated herself. This isn’t letting someone off that you for a speeding ticket.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-11-2020),alwaysawarrior (05-11-2020),Redsfaithful (05-11-2020),Rojo (05-11-2020),ScotlandRed (05-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Not banging on anybody here, but that's White Privilege. People of color can't afford to think that way. They get killed for it.
    I'm sorry but I really don't like the language of "privilege" around stuff like this. He's free as we should all be. It's an unlimited right, not a privilege to be distributed.

It's possible to think that he wasn't really jogging and doing things he shouldn't
    It's also possible to think this and not actually give a dam. You want a badge, go to the Academy.

I hate this the same way I hate people reporting their neighbors for violating Shelter-in-Place.

Nobody is a saint.

People seem to only say that when a black man is murdered by a white man. Gee, I have no idea why.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

13. Likes:

marcshoe (05-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Nobody is a saint.

People seem to only say that when a black man is murdered by a white man. Gee, I have no idea why.
    This is a national news story. Gee, I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    It's also possible to think this and not actually give a dam. You want a badge, go to the Academy.

I hate this the same way I hate people reporting their neighbors for violating Shelter-in-Place.
    The story is being portrayed as a white vs black thing when it's not. But that's what crying Brian Stelter wants us to believe.

The story is being portrayed as a white vs black thing when it's not. But that's what crying Brian Stelter wants us to believe.
    It's not? So in your opinion if Arbery was a a white 25 year old and everything else is the same, those 2 guys call the cops, chase him down and ultimately shoot him?

17. Likes:

757690 (05-11-2020),bounty37h (05-11-2020),ScotlandRed (05-11-2020),Wonderful Monds (05-11-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

You never hear anything about whether or not a white murder victim is a saint or not when their death hits the news, that’s a big part of why this is a black/white thing.

19. Likes:

757690 (05-11-2020),WrongVerb (05-11-2020)

Just stop

21. Likes:

RFS62 (05-11-2020),ScotlandRed (05-11-2020),WrongVerb (05-11-2020)

The video I have seen doesn't depict someone "standing their ground." It doesn't appear to be a case of self-defense. It appears to be a couple of guys driving around in their truck who simply shot and killed someone.
    I want justice to take its course. I realize that sometimes things may not be as they first appear. This appears to be horrific, it should be fully investigated, and, assuming what I have seen is accurate, prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I do not have the words to express how outrageous this appears to have been.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

23. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-11-2020),RFS62 (05-11-2020),Rojo (05-12-2020),westofyou (05-11-2020),WrongVerb (05-11-2020),Yachtzee (05-14-2020)

Turn Off Ads?