Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ahmaud Arbery Murder

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Ahmaud Arbery Murder

Retired DA investigator accused in Ahmaud Arbery’s death worked for years without arrest powers

One of the men facing murder charges in the death of Ahmaud Arbery spent more than two decades as the chief investigator for the Brunswick District Attorneys Office.

Last Thursday, Gregory McMichael and his son, Travis, were arrested and charged with felony murder and aggravated arrest. We’ve known since we first reported Arbery’s Feb. 23 shooting death that the father of the man who fired the fatal shots was a retired investigator with the DA’s office -- a fact that contributed the Georgia Attorney General’s request for state and federal investigations of why the two men were not arrested for 2½ months.

The I-TEAM learned Tuesday that Gregory McMichael spent many years of his tenure with the District Attorneys Office without maintaining a proper certification to be a law enforcement officer.

Personnel records obtained by News4Jax show that in 2014, McMichael faced suspension of his certification with the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council. Because of his deficit in training hours, McMichael had not had arrest powers since 2006.

McMichael had to turn in his badge, gun and keys and was not allowed to serve subpoenas or work in the field in any manner.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    This is a national news story. Gee, I wonder why?
    You should think about why this annoys you. Explore that, decide if it's rational.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-13-2020),westofyou (05-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    You should think about why this annoys you. Explore that, decide if it's rational.
    You should think about not taking this debate to the personal level. It's a nasty habit you've got and this is more evidence of that.

6. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (05-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You should think about not taking this debate to the personal level. It's a nasty habit you've got and this is more evidence of that.
    I actually laughed out loud at this, thanks for that, it's been a rough morning

8. Likes:

marcshoe (05-14-2020),westofyou (05-13-2020),WildcatFan (05-13-2020)

I actually laughed out loud at this, thanks for that, it's been a rough morning
    Laughter is good for the soul

Stuff like this annoys me. A man is getting death threats because someone went into his house that is under construction. He did nothing but own the house. I am sure everyone is ok with this though.
    https://news.yahoo.com/owner-house-a...165450614.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    Stuff like this annoys me. A man is getting death threats because someone went into his house that is under construction. He did nothing but own the house. I am sure everyone is ok with this though.

Who said everyone or anyone is ok with this? No one is ok with it other than people who become irrational and are looking to just blame every white person in the neighborhood or black People jogging.

That's terrible, good luck finding anyone who doesn't think it's terrible?

I wish police resources would get pushed into taking internet threats seriously, it's cool how we live in a reality where death threats can just happen constantly and everyone just throws their hands up like "welp, it's the internet what can we do?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Who said everyone or anyone is ok with this? No one is ok with it other than people who become irrational and are looking to just blame every white person in the neighborhood or black People jogging.
    That's terrible, good luck finding anyone who doesn't think it's terrible?

I wish police resources would get pushed into taking internet threats seriously, it's cool how we live in a reality where death threats can just happen constantly and everyone just throws their hands up like "welp, it's the internet what can we do?"
    I agree. No one as far as I know has said it is not terrible. It just shows there is hate everywhere. This guy was not even involved, it was two idiots who decided to do this horrific act. Why should hate be directed at this man? Hate is hate no matter who it is directed at.

Faulty Generalization

In logic and reasoning, a faulty generalization, similar to a proof by example in mathematics, is a conclusion made about all or many instances of a phenomenon, that has been reached on the basis of one or a few instances of that phenomenon.[1][2] It is an example of jumping to conclusions.[3] For example, one may generalize about all people or all members of a group, based on what they know about just one or a few people:

If one meets an angry person from a given country X, they may suspect that most people in country X are often angry.
    If one sees only white swans, they may suspect that all swans are white.

Faulty generalizations may lead to further incorrect conclusions. One may, for example, conclude that citizens of country X are genetically inferior, or that poverty is entirely the fault of the poor.
    One example might be one or a few idiots send death threats to someone, and an observer then concludes that this must be a widespread phenomenon.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Faulty Generalization

One example might be one or a few idiots send death threats to someone, and an observer then concludes that this must be a widespread phenomenon.
    Are you serious? For one it was more than a few people. For two you are the king of faulty generalization, so I don't see how you can point the finger at anyone else. Three read this entire thread and you will see a whole bunch of this also.

16. Likes:

BernieCarbo (05-13-2020),Sea Ray (05-14-2020)

Are you serious? For one it was more than a few people. For two you are the king of faulty generalization, so I don't see how you can point the finger at anyone else. Three read this entire thread and you will see a whole bunch of this also.
    The article you posted said "threats" without listing a number, so I'm not sure how you can determine it was "more than a few people." Also, given the percentage of people who know about this case, it is probably a very tiny percentage of those people who are making these threats. As for your strong defensiveness masquerading as ad hominems, do I take that to mean that the description of that particular fallacy hit closer than you're trying to let on? Or perhaps it just poked a hole in your attempt to deflect from the reporting on this tragic case.

BTW, although I've posted some articles in this thread, I've made no statements of substance about this case. Unlike others who carry the burden of knowing everything *glances at Bernie* don't think I know enough about the case. I'm happy to wait for it to get to the courts.

The article you posted said "threats" without listing a number, so I'm not sure how you can determine it was "more than a few people." Also, given the percentage of people who know about this case, it is probably a very tiny percentage of those people who are making these threats. As for your strong defensiveness masquerading as ad hominems, do I take that to mean that the description of that particular fallacy hit closer than you're trying to let on? Or perhaps it just poked a hole in your attempt to deflect from the reporting on this tragic case.

BTW, although I've posted some articles in this thread, I've made no statements of substance about this case. Unlike others who carry the burden of knowing everything *glances at Bernie* don't think I know enough about the case. I'm happy to wait for it to get to the courts.
    I don't know who pissed in your cornflakes. I comment on things I know about, and don't speak up about things I have no idea about. You definitely have me confused with someone else. I ask questions all the time here about things I don't understand.
    Last edited by BernieCarbo; 05-13-2020 at 10:02 PM.

This is not the only place that had an article on this, and if it didn't list a number how did you determine it was a few? I will answer because you are trying to downplay it. As for the rest of the nonsense, I will simply say no because I don't want to get too political.

New video suggests Arbery was “just jogging” and stopped at the house for some water.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...qmq-story.html

Ahmaud Arbery may have stopped by a construction site for a drink of water before being killed while jogging.

“There is a water source at the dock behind the house as well as a source near the front of the structure,” English’s lawyer, J. Elizabeth Graddy, said in a statement. "Although these water sources do not appear within any of the cameras’ frames, the young man moves to and from their locations.”
    There is also more video that reveals many other people stopped by the construction site without any incident over the months that it was being built.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Turn Off Ads?