Turn Off Ads?
Page 57 of 69 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part 4 - what happens next?

Re: COVID-19, Part 4 - what happens next?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Because so few people have been tested, and therefore, so few people know if they are infected or not, if I was banned from this bar, I would sue for discrimination and likely win my case.

This is a strikingly ignorant position for the bar owner to take.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

I’m curious to know what extent the “anti-mask” crowd is having on business. Tonight on CNBC Cramer (I know don’t hate me) was saying be cautious with Costco’s earning’s this week due to the anti-mask crowd denting business (COST requires masks to enter) to an extent. I don’t know that I see that.

Interesting theory:

Bombshell study: Could half the uninfected population already be partially immune?

Could nearly half the population not already infected with SARS-CoV-2 be immune to it from having already contracted other forms of coronavirus in recent years?

That is one implication of a major study conducted by over a dozen researchers from several microbiology and immunology institutions in the U.S.

Sunetra Gupta, professor of theoretical epidemiology at the University of Oxford, is also a strong believer in the likelihood of cross-immunity. “We may also be able to fend off the virus with pre-existing responses against other coronaviruses, which I think is very likely to play a role in protection, specifically against severity of the disease,” said Professor Gupta in a recent interview with a British media outlet.
    Maybe this is why countries like Viet Nam have done well with this virus:

The hypothesis is that numerous common colds are forms of coronavirus and that a significant percentage of the population that has already contracted those forms of coronavirus have cross-immunity to COVID-19. It’s unclear to what degree these people are immune, but it might help explain why some people in certain areas react so violently to COVID-19, whereas so many others are asymptomatic. In other words, it’s possible that people with cross-immunity could still catch the virus, but their reaction to it will either never present symptoms or present very mildly due to the pre-existing T cells working for them.

Perhaps, it could also explain why there appears to be a massive gap in severity of the virus in Asia vs. Western countries. Asian countries are regularly exposed to coronaviruses.
    Admittedly:

To be clear, these are all unproven theories at this point. But if our government and media were willing to run with unproven theories of doom and gloom even as the facts on the ground refuted them, shouldn’t they at least examine some good news when the fact pattern of the virus itself seems to harmonize with the theory?

Why are American politicians immune to good news as if it were the plague?
    https://www.conservativereview.com/n...20-glenn-daily

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Because so few people have been tested, and therefore, so few people know if they are infected or not, if I was banned from this bar, I would sue for discrimination and likely win my case.

This is a strikingly ignorant position for the bar owner to take.
    I find that position by the bar owner silly myself. But to each their own so far as private business goes. (As long as they aren’t breaking the law) Though if it is legal for Costco to require a mask, why would it be illegal for the bar to not allow masks, unless by the letter of the law it is an ADA-type issue?

Interesting theory:

Admittedly:

Without supporting any of that specifically (I mean it could be true, it could not) I staunchly believe there is a big missing piece of the puzzle that we don’t know.

Interesting theory:

Admittedly:

You're such a mark. Do you buy the Glenn Beck brain pills?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

8. Likes:

Hypnotoad (05-28-2020),NachoMan (05-27-2020),westofyou (05-27-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

When experts on coronavirus state that an infected person can be feeling 100% healthy, but still be spreading the virus, does that just not register with some people?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I find that position by the bar owner silly myself. But to each their own so far as private business goes. (As long as they aren’t breaking the law) Though if it is legal for Costco to require a mask, why would it be illegal for the bar to not allow masks, unless by the letter of the law it is an ADA-type issue?
    Good point. I am just humble caveman and not a lawyer, however...

Some people are using the ADA in an attempt to get around he Costco makes wearing rule. However, Costco is allowing people without masks, if they can prove that wearing a mask is harmful to their health. They basically just need a doctors note,

So the bar owner would have to let anyone in who can show that not wearing a mask is bad for their health. Anyone should be able to find a doctor to write them a note saying they need to wear a mask while at a bar.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I heard a woman at my son's baseball game last night say she wouldn't go to Costco because they require a mask. She's the exact caricature of the person you would expect to say that, and the country is lousy with such caricatures.

12. Likes:

dabvu2498 (05-28-2020),mth123 (05-28-2020)

I’ve personally heard a personal injury lawyer say he’d go after business/organizations where people allegedly caught COVID if the scenario presented itself. (This was in regards to a gathering of less than 50 people, not like a mass gathering) When the dust clears is this gonna be a thing? Makes you understand where Costco is coming from aside from the public health standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I heard a woman at my son's baseball game last night say she wouldn't go to Costco because they require a mask. She's the exact caricature of the person you would expect to say that, and the country is lousy with such caricatures.
    I posted this couple of weeks ago from a Daugherty column:

"Meantime, COVID is having its way in our country. We have no national plan, we have very little self discipline, we can’t even agree on something as simple as wearing masks in public. States are re-opening on a desperate hope and wish, and on a false belief that Americans will all pitch in together to make everything work.

Americans won’t. We’re essentially selfish and generally clueless. Beholden more to our beliefs and chest-puffing stubbornness than to empathy, science and common sense.

Baseball’s gonna overcome all that?

I hope so. I doubt it."

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...on/3087602001/

I’m curious to know what extent the “anti-mask” crowd is having on business. Tonight on CNBC Cramer (I know don’t hate me) was saying be cautious with Costco’s earning’s this week due to the anti-mask crowd denting business (COST requires masks to enter) to an extent. I don’t know that I see that.
    I think any earnings dent the "anti-mask" crowd puts in Costco will be completely coincidental. I'm sure many in that group already raided Costco months ago for garages full of toilet paper, a chest freezers full of butter and milk, 50 pounds of bacon each, and enough 10-pound tubes of ground beef to feed the US armed forces for a year. They probably already paid a bunch forward, so to speak.

Ironic too, because it's likely that some of the same people who were throwing down over palettes of Clorox wipes, multi-packs of Lysol, bleach, and 20 bottles of hand sanitizer for every finger in their household are now mad as HECK about having to wear masks.

How much you want to bet that one of those folks owns a bar in a suburb of Austin, Texas?
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I think any earnings dent the "anti-mask" crowd puts in Costco will be completely coincidental. I'm sure many in that group already raided Costco months ago for garages full of toilet paper, a chest freezers full of butter and milk, 50 pounds of bacon each, and enough 10-pound tubes of ground beef to feed the US armed forces for a year. They probably already paid a bunch forward, so to speak.

Ironic too, because it's likely that some of the same people who were throwing down over palettes of Clorox wipes, multi-packs of Lysol, bleach, and 20 bottles of hand sanitizer for every finger in their household are now mad as HECK about having to wear masks.

How much you want to bet that one of those folks owns a bar in a suburb of Austin, Texas?
    I suspect the anti-maskers are also the people who return more than half the stuff they buy, making them customers that wouldn’t be quite as missed.

I suspect the anti-maskers are also the people who return more than half the stuff they buy, making them customers that wouldn’t be quite as missed.
    Yeah, two years later...without a receipt...after using the stuff...and intentionally damaging it...

Costco: "Sir, I don't think you can return 15 pounds of two-year old butter."

Customer: "Why not?"

Costco: "Well, half the cartons are open and are missing sticks."

Customer: "Sure, 'cause I had to use the butter to see if was any good."

Costco: "So, what exactly is wrong with the butter, sir?"

Customer: "Well, look here- it's broke. I put it on the stove while I was cooking and a hot burner melted it."

Costco: "Sir, that's not a defect..."
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    You're such a mark. Do you buy the Glenn Beck brain pills?
    No, I just have an open mind to consider all possibilities. Seriously, that's why I'm here. If I only read right wing news, why would I spend time here on RZ?

Turn Off Ads?