Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 69 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part 4 - what happens next?

Re: COVID-19, Part 4 - what happens next?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    There will almost assuredly be a second wave. There's a "second wave" of influenza every year.

Neera Tanden is on twitter claiming Covid. No tests mentioned but she's tired and has "muscle fatigue".

I remember in my early 20's having the flu so bad that I fell asleep in my car at a red light.

Summer of the Shark. Russiagate. QAnon.
    Summer of the shark and QAnon are similar to 100,000 dead Americans how exactly? Spell it out for me, Im not very bright. Please be sure to include exactly what you mean when you mentioned people were starting to protest globalism in the streets and why that would cause a lockdown?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Some light appearing about the mass under-reporting by Governors of the U.S. States...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/im-lookin...100035918.html
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm on the ground here in northern Mich and the locals are not all pleased with their Governor despite what polls may say. They refer to her as "half-Whit". I'm sure RZ would demean them for being sexist but that's just another reminder that RZ is not the real world.
    Michigan protestors are not the real world.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    No, they are not.

With the country in lockdown, in less than three months, Covid19 has killed over 90,000 people, which is more than the flu kills in a year. And Covid19 is still killing people at a rate of over 5,000 a week and not stopping until we have a vaccine.

And that is the big part that you are missing. There is no vaccine or treatment for Covid19. There is a vaccine and a multitude of treatments for the flu. That’s the difference. COVID19 is a new virus that we don’t know much about, especially how to get immunity from it.
    From the Oregon Health Authority data released once a week, they break all the "reported" numbers down. 27% of those 80+ die who get the virus. 60% of those who get to a hospital. 12% 70-79 have died who have gotten, per "reports", the virus. Those are extremely high mortality rates! It's like a sentence from a 1700's England court judge.

https://www.oregon.gov/oha/ERD/Pages...port-data.aspx
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-25-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    In his defense, he didn't mention protestors. He mentioned locals.

From the Oregon Health Authority data released once a week, they break all the "reported" numbers down. 27% of those 80+ die who get the virus. 60% of those who get to a hospital. 12% 70-79 have died who have gotten, per "reports", the virus. Those are extremely high mortality rates! It's like a sentence from a 1700's England court judge.

https://www.oregon.gov/oha/ERD/Pages...port-data.aspx
    You’ve said it yourself that Oregon is severely lacking in testing. So I find it hard to link testing with fatality rate so far as Oregon goes if testing is lacking overall. Yeah, if you are that age and test positive in Oregon it doesn’t look good, but I wonder how many non-fatal cases (and perhaps fatal) are missing from the data due to a simple lack of tests.

No argument that COVID is a huge threat for the elderly.

8. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    In his defense, he didn't mention protestors. He mentioned locals.
    As someone that has frequented the Upper Peninsula of Michigan my whole life I can tell you the folks that live up there are about as far removed from “the real world” as you get in the continental United States.

I love it up there, I miss my dad’s cabin in the Hiawatha National Forest. He sold it last year and got a new place on Lake Charlevoix in the northern part of the Lower Peninsula. I would have kept the cabin in the UP, personally, but isn’t my money.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

10. Likes:

westofyou (05-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    You’ve said it yourself that Oregon is severely lacking in testing. So I find it hard to link testing with fatality rate so far as Oregon goes if testing is lacking overall. Yeah, if you are that age and test positive in Oregon it doesn’t look good, but I wonder how many non-fatal cases (and perhaps fatal) are missing from the data due to a simple lack of tests.

No argument that COVID is a huge threat for the elderly.
    You are absolutely correct. Even in the link I provided, the number of tests for the week remained at that same level it has been at since the beginning, approximately 2000-2200 per day. Last week was less than 2000 per day. The week before slightly more than 2200 and the week before that, right about 2000. As of now, the State of Oregon only has the capacity (non-commercial...and it's not an issue that should be the responsibility of the commercial institutions like hospitals) to process only (approximately) 3100 tests per day.

Because of so much poor testing attempts, poor reporting of cases, poor sample sizes and sample selecting, and so on, any numbers that are out there are all very speculative and conclusions should not be made (as so often are happening) about any of this. Fauci and infection scientists/doctors have at least been consistent about this since the beginning...little is known, while the disease will/should dictate the direction to go with any of this. Even the Democratic Governors have all rushed to open things up without a plan based on any kind of data that makes sense. It would have been best to take it in steps earlier and open up the areas that weren't getting high rates of spreading (which would have required testing that hasn't taken place at all to determine actual rates of spreading instead of using ICU units available or COVID-19 confirmed cases, which typically come from someone who shows multiple symptoms and makes it to a hospital, as a criteria for judging the spread of the disease). Then look at the results from that. Take what's learned from them and use it towards reopening the next level of contagious areas while the first places were now at another adjustment level.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-25-2020 at 09:40 PM.

Brazil surpasses US in daily coronavirus death toll; White House brings forward Brazil travel ban by two days

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/a...forward-brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Just in case you're not already fully aware, your next suspension from this board will be the end of your participation here in the "fake world" - an outright banishment.
    Sounds like a threat. What's the problem now?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Im not a mod but Im 99.9% sure he was recently suspended for using an accepted (accepted in that most people consider it a slur) ethnic slur and has been told that any further general nuisance or the like will result in a perma-ban. Sounds reasonable.

Having said that I didnt see anything outrageous in the Half-Whit post. Im not following the Michigan stuff close but I got a chuckle out of the nickname some of the Michiganders who oppose her gave her, albeit it is a lazy nickname.

So carry on Sea Ray, since you have returned Ive seen nothing that warrants a rebuke. Id say your Dr. Amy stuff is potentially asking for trouble since you mean for it to be disrespectful, JMO. Just so people know where Im coming from - Id probably am more accepting of extreme/opposing viewpoints on here than most, but Im pretty intolerant when it seems someone is trolling or toying with the board. Not cool.

But what do I know.
    I mean to be disrespectful to Dr Amy because I don't respect the job she's doing and I've documented that. So once again, what's the problem? Is she free of being "disrespected due to her sex? Someone, please clear this up for me

Speechless...

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I didn't anticipate this topic would be brought up, and I disagree that it should've been made public because we've nearly always kept discipline matters between the moderating staff and the user in question. However, now that the topic has been raised publicly, I do want to weigh in. Sea Ray, along with any other user, is never going to be banned because they express a differing viewpoint than most. However, when you use an almost universally offensive term as he did a few weeks ago, that's a different story, and I personally banned him for it along with the message not to return if he can't help but use terms like that. Since he returned, I don't think he's caused any notable problems with the possible exception of going out of his way to use "Dr. Amy" as a nickname for Dr. Acton. Personally, I find the nickname obnoxious, but given that he's admittedly using it in a disrespectful manner, I guess that's by design. While I'd prefer not to see it and know others feel the same way, I'm not going to support banning someone for that alone.

Anyway, in summary, he nor anyone is going to be shown the door for having opinions not shared by the majority here. If he does something like use a similar term to what he did that warranted his latest ban, then all bets are off because neither GIK nor I want to be associated with a forum where people use those terms. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks for chiming in. Let me ask a few very direct questions to which I'd like very direct answers for not only my benefit but the board's as well:

1) Kinsm clearly threatened me which brought this on. Did you see anything that warranted such a threat and do you support the threat?

2) Are women given special treatment around here or are we free to disrespect them as much as say, the President?

I post on all sorts of social media and have done so for over 20 yrs. I've never so much as heard from a moderator elsewhere, let alone received discipline of any kind. That's fine and dandy, just understand that RZ is "different."

As for my description of the Chinese gov't, it was meant to be strongly disrespectful because their behavior which I've specifically documented has resulted in loss of life, livelihood and disease throughout the world. It's be impossible to understand that. My term referred to their nationality and not their race. I strongly disagree that it was inappropriate to use such a term. I've found no one on the internet or "in real life" that thinks such a term is worthy of a ban. Once again, RZ is "unique".

I'm here not to be liked. I pile up "likes" on more even keel boards. I know that won't happen here. I'm here to get the far left perspective on life which is fascinating to me. Admittedly it's like watching a car accident but it does fascinate me how people can come to such a far left perspective on life and how they've managed to chase off opposing viewpoints on a midwestern baseball board.

Whenever I'm banned, I shrug and go on to other things and I consider the source. To be direct, that term for the Chinese gov't is not a problem on other boards. That makes RZ the outlier and not Sea Ray.

In closing do understand that I represent a much needed diversity of thought here on RZ. If you ban me, that's fine, but the site will become more of an echo chamber and less entertaining. I'll also add that I take a lot more "personal abuse" from fellow posters than I dish out. This is either tolerated or encouraged by the powers that be because nothing has changed in that regard. When was the last time I called someone a troll or tried to rally the troops to put that person on ignore? I don't deal in that sort of behavior and that should be noted. I do strongly disagree and dislike the current health director of Ohio, the sitting Governor of Michigan and the Communist government of China. I also strongly support the job that our current President has done for the past 3-4 yrs.

One final point, I'd like to suggest that people with more moderate views moderate this section. The moderators here are clearly left wing. There was a time, though short lived, where we enjoyed a truly moderate moderator, Jax. He did an outstanding job. We could use someone like that again.
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 05-26-2020 at 08:55 AM.

First of all I've mentioned nothing about them, but they do represent a segment of society.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/25/healt...alt/index.html

WHO temporarily pauses hydroxychloroquine study due to safety concerns
    Were going to get the pitching. -Bob Castellini
    You got the pitching, now what? - Reds fans

19. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-27-2020)

Turn Off Ads?