Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part 4 - what happens next?

Re: COVID-19, Part 4 - what happens next?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I wouldn't say those issues are "non-issues" or non-starters or whatever. There are certainly some places in less urban America where large number of people are in close proximity to each other for extended periods of time. Those places are a problem whether they are in Sioux City, IA or Jersey City, NJ. Those are the exception but not the rule, happily.
    I think it shows there isn't a ton of middle ground and it doesn't take much to go from basically nothing, to a big flare up of cases and that can happy pretty much anywhere.

2. Likes:

Redsfaithful (05-12-2020),redsfandan (05-11-2020),SteelSD (05-11-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I wouldn't say those issues are "non-issues" or non-starters or whatever. There are certainly some places in less urban America where large number of people are in close proximity to each other for extended periods of time. Those places are a problem whether they are in Sioux City, IA or Jersey City, NJ. Those are the exception but not the rule, happily.
    But you also have to consider that the demographic makeup and the prevalence of risk factors are not equal between urban and rural populations.

You could summarize it as, there's less opportunity for exposure in rural areas, but those exposed in rural areas are more likely to have risk factors and bad outcomes. How much each counters the other is something I don't know and am not in a position to speculate. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the subject of ongoing studies.
    Last edited by paintmered; 05-11-2020 at 03:54 PM. Reason: quick grammar fix
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

5. Likes:

SteelSD (05-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Both Sioux Falls, SD and the Sioux City, IA metro areas have been listed as top US hot spots in rates of residents testing positive. Sioux City is currently #1 (by a large margain) over the last two weeks with Sioux Falls dropping to *only* 10th in the nation over the same span.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...tbreak-us.html
    Obviously the best thing to do when you're the Governor of say, Michigan, is to apply the same rules to Detroit as the Upper Peninsula.

7. Likes:

Sea Ray (05-11-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Consider...and then reflect
    I think I've recognized the flaw in your thinking. The person you're asking that of is not well known on this board for either consideration or reflection.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

9. Likes:

redsfandan (05-11-2020),RedsfaninMT (05-13-2020)

I'm not sure anyone has claimed density is the ONLY factor. But when there's a virus spread by human to human contact and where staying six feet apart from other humans is the best way to avoid transmitting it...it would be pretty silly to think that number of humans per unit of space doesn't play a role in risk of transmission.
    It's equally silly to think that's what I was insinuating. I'm just saying we're learning it has more to do with indoor spaces than outdoor spaces, and no matter how densely populated your home neighborhood may be, most people conduct business indoors.

Also, I think the six foot guideline is sorta outdated at this point? You can definitely get sick by sharing the same room as an infected person for a few hours, even if you are a hundred feet away...

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    Love how the times puts "flat or decreasing" in real light ink.

If that is the worst it gets in Sioux City SD or Sioux Falls IA (flat or decreasing) then I will take it any day ever day. 1000, and 2000 cases (respectivrely) over a 2 week period, with the way they have ramped up testing (especially with the meat packing stuff) this is a NON STARTER.

Numbers have to be looked at in context.
    Looking at raw volume isn't "context". To provide you some, around 7.5% of Dakota county (part of the Sioux City metro area) has tested positive to this point (that county only has @20K residents). It's an absolutely terrible situation; one of the worst in the nation.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

12. Likes:

mth123 (05-11-2020),Redsfaithful (05-12-2020)

For those who wanted some reports because they didn't believe the economic fallout will end up causing more death than the virus itself:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/economic-...110003724.html

"The U.N. predicts the coronavirus could push an additional 130 million people to the brink of starvation by the end of 2020. World Vision, an international Christian aid organization, warns that 30 million children are at risk of dying."

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think it shows there isn't a ton of middle ground and it doesn't take much to go from basically nothing, to a big flare up of cases and that can happy pretty much anywhere.
    I don't think that's right. I think there's a quite sizeable middle ground that we've seen in a lot of the country already. But yes, big flareups are going to be possible where there are lots of people too close to one another indoors without PPE, whether it's in Sioux City or Long Island City.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Why slam the media here? It would be really irresponsible to report on drug trials that aren't complete or to give partial results. When there is news from completed trials like remdesivir, it'll get reported on.
    You don't have to get into the trial specifics, it's something you can "report" on certainly, and they do, but it's hard to find, and lost in the numerous articles that cover the protests and interpretations of the #'s. Between Trump and the politicization of this subject, it's hard to just get focused info on anything that makes sense or is a complete story. You'd think, right now, the "race for a treatment" would be the #1 story in the world, and the largest global scientific effort in the last 50 years (and maybe it is, but who knows???), the way this has shut-down almost every country on earth. I don't get it, or why that's not the focus right now.

Our country did nearly 400,000 C19 tests today and only 4% were positive. That's great news.

https://covidtracking.com/data/us-daily

We've done over 9 million tests. Only 3 other countries have done over 2 million.

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-12-2020),North (05-11-2020)

C19 has been in Ohio since January

https://www.wlwt.com/amp/article/ant...s-say/32438290

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Consider how I could be privy to the information I shared, and then reflect on how it looks for you to explain to me how OSU's hospital system is organized.

You still in charge of the SERP drone program?

Asking for a friend.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

20. Likes:

Larkin Fan (05-11-2020)

Just love how through all of this all of the media only pretends to social distance and wear masks (usually never) when the cameras are on them. As soon as a press conference is over they immediately mingle like bees in a hive acting as socially irresponsible as anyone on the planet. Yet, they have the gall to call out other people for not behaving responsibly. The media are such hippocrytes. Whenever they ask questions of Trump, they never ask any questions that would help the citizens of the U.S. get through this. Their only motive is to try to trick Trump into saying something out of context so they can get a line they can twist into something he actually didn't say. They are no longer any better than the National Enquirer reporters used to be....all of them from every newspaper. He never gets a fair chajce to do anything as the media is 90% Left leaning. It's really too bad that all of the media is now in the hands of just a few mega owners who dictate policy and attitude. Thankfully, we still have the internet where independent views can still be heard.

I'm not supporting Trump here, but I believe he could do a much better job if the media wasn't 90% against him in a very biased way of reporting while the Democrats have been on a witch-hunt ever since they lost the election completely refusing to work with him in any capacity.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-12-2020 at 04:45 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

22. Likes:

jimbo (05-12-2020),Sea Ray (05-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Our country did nearly 400,000 C19 tests today and only 4% were positive. That's great news.

https://covidtracking.com/data/us-daily

We've done over 9 million tests. Only 3 other countries have done over 2 million.
    I'm disappointed that only two States have done fewer tests per 100,000 people than Oregon. You see Major League Baseball getting 5,700 tests completed for their employees, all of the NBA players were tested and Oregon can't even test their healthcare workers that are in direct contact with the sick and the elderly. Priorities are really wrong here.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

“The caregiver industry is barely hanging on as it is, and with even only one person off, then it just won’t be possible to care for everybody,” said Jun Sasaki, a doctor and the head of Yushokai Medical Corporation, a care provider company. “The elderly are very delicate, and any kind of change in their environment can affect them.” Many homes have suspended group games and exercises because of the outbreak, and most have banned family since early March. That can take both a mental and physical toll on residents. One man wandered his care home, searching for his family, Sasaki said. Another woman became convinced her daughter had died and began preparing for her funeral, Yoshimu recalled."

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-he...-idUKKBN22O0T8

“Everything’s slower. If feeding them takes longer, then things like toileting are delayed,” said Yoshimu, who declined to give her last name because of the sensitivity of the issue. “We really try not to make them wait but sometimes their diapers can leak.” With the coronavirus depleting numbers of overworked staff in elderly care homes, concern for some of the most vulnerable is deepening in a country with one of the world’s largest elderly populations."

Turn Off Ads?