Turn Off Ads?
Page 61 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part 4 - what happens next?

Re: COVID-19, Part 4 - what happens next?

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    Autism for one.
    Ok, that is one. Any more?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

An infected person can spread the coronavirus while not knowing they're infected themselves!

Why does it seem like people aren't getting this?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Ah damn, I didn’t realize the only reason you’re allowed to criticize someone is if they’re breaking the law.

Anyway, nah, I’m gonna continue to be loud about it. That person’s an idiot, and so is everyone else like her.
    There is a difference in not agreeing with someone not wearing a mask which is completely legal, and then having to listen to peoples loud mouths and threats. Again people are only doing this to the weak. If you guys would venture out of your bunkers you would see plenty of people are not wearing masks. Again it is non of no ones business what they do if they are following all rules.
    Last edited by Rdirtypirates; 05-28-2020 at 02:46 PM.

They call me "chef"

Knowingly doing the wrong thing and dying is a risk some are willing to take to support their side of the culture war. It’s very dumb but, for whatever reason, feeling like they’re integral players in an integral battle against PC culture is very important to people in this country.

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-28-2020),Hypnotoad (05-28-2020),Redsfaithful (05-28-2020),WildcatFan (05-28-2020),Wonderful Monds (05-28-2020)

The point is she doesn't have to. Weather you think it is stupid or not. The mob mentality in some places is ridiculous. From what I have seen it is mostly women and people who wont react. You catch the right person, it is not gonna be someone just walking away. For all you find upstanding citizens who think it is cool to bully people for not wearing a mask, you are gonna try it with the wrong person and ve sorry. Mind your own business. We don't have enough of that in America anymore.
    She does have to if she wants Costco to let her in the store. (Without a medical waiver)

8. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (05-28-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

There is a difference in not agreeing with someone not wearing a mask which is completely legal, and then having to listen to peoples loud mouths and threats. Again people are only doing this to the week. If you guys would venture out of your bunkers you would see plenty of people are not wearing masks. Again it is non of no ones business what they do if they are following all rules.
    YES IT IS! IT LITERALLY PUTS ME AT RISK IF YOU DON’T WEAR A MASK!

How can people be this stupid?????

Let's move on to more facts and figures. Check this out:

The Most Important COVID-19 Statistic: 43% Of U.S. Deaths Are From 0.6% Of The Population

2.1 million Americans, representing 0.62% of the U.S. population, reside in nursing homes and assisted living facilities. (Nursing homes are residences for seniors needing help with activities of daily living, such as taking a shower or getting dressed, who also require 24/7 medical supervision; assisted living facilities are designed for seniors who need help with activities of daily living, but don’t require full-time on-site medical supervision.)
    And that may even be an undercount:

Let that sink in: 43% of all COVID-19 deaths are taking place in facilities that house 0.62% of the U.S. population.

And 43% could be an undercount. States like New York exclude from their nursing home death tallies those who die in a hospital, even if they were originally infected in an assisted living facility. Outside of New York, more than half of all deaths from COVID-19 are of residents in long-term care facilities.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot.../#6f6e68574cdb

And our state is likely the worst. We may very likely have 70% of our deaths from nursing home folks:

3News Investigates: 70% of Ohio's COVID-19 deaths are nursing home patients

COLUMBUS, Ohio — 70 percent of all Ohio COVID-19 deaths were patients of long-term care facilities, a toll so high the state is now conducting mass testing of residents and staff.

The newly-released numbers account for deaths prior to April 15, when the state first reversed its policy and ordered all counties to calculate and report deaths inside nursing homes, assisted living residences and other long-term care facilities.
    https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/he...b-1e2b9c5e73f9

I think we've just identified a huge part of the problem. We've done a horrible job of protecting our nursing homes...yeah Amy, I mean you...

Why are our numbers as a country so high? Nursing homes. Why are they not so high in Tibet or Vietnam? Maybe they don't have the nursing homes we do.

I am one who is a believer in updating strategy as we gain more information. Thus why are we hunkering down all 330 million people? Come up with a strategy to protect the most vulnerable, retirement communities, let the kids go back to school and let the rest of us get back to life (with new rules and precautions like 6 ft distancing).

70% nursing home deaths and we still don't have a defined strategy to protect them? Where are you Dr Amy? It is part of your job description to protect the most vulnerable. You should have had a plan in place weeks ago. I could put a plan together in an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Good, make sure you are washing them after you use them too.

The Minnesota study was interesting and consistent with what other health officials are saying. Masks are not a cure all. You still need to wash you hands and practice good hygiene and you need to wash the mask after use. That study also shows that even the worst masks (single layer bandannas) still provided at least minimal benefit. Some of the better masks, that most people are wearing are providing up to a 40% benefit in particle reduction. That is pretty significant, especially if EVERYONE does it.

The few studies from the scientific community that I've seen advising against masks, aren't because they don't provide some benefit in reducing particles, but because it requires education to the public and some fear that if people wear masks they'll think they are suddenly immune or something. I think people are largely paying attention to guidance here and if given a good consistent message on when, where and how to wear a mask people would get it.
    Fwiw, I started working at a customer yesterday, and among many other things they've done, they involved actual scientists and doctors in designing the best system to keep everyone safe. The built a separate building that everyone has to go through and be screened. The screening includes a temp check that is logged in with your badge (not sure if the result is tracked to see if there is a daily incremental rise, but that would be cool if it gives any value), and you have to answer the typical questions. BUt what is key is that absolutely do not allow homemade masks because they just don't work very well (again, they consulted people who know their stuff). They give everyone a mask upon entry, and it is the typical medical mask with the metal clip that fits snug over the nose. You can tell if it fits right, because if it doesn't your glasses with be fogged up in minutes. Oh, and the factory ambient air was between 95 and 105, and I can tell you that I had to consciously regulate my breathing to prevent hyperventilation and chug water like a fish. Once I settled into long slow breaths, it was ok.

So, to these people who think they are awesome for tying a bandana around their face, order a box of fifty masks on Amazon and at least use something that is designed to protect others.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Coronavirus ‘silent spreaders’ become a bigger risk as California reopens

Just to be clear, we all do understand what the bolded sentence is saying, right? YOU CAN INFECT OTHER PEOPLE WHILE NOT KNOWING YOU YOURSELF ARE INFECTED.
    I wear a mask, but I thought that was what the social distancing is for if for some reason you can't where a mask.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    The problem that you can't understand the rest of the document and what they are saying is your problem. But I'm not getting into this today with you. All I care is that you put a mask on and stop spreading misinformation about not wearing a mask. As long as you are doing that here and in your actual life, I don't really care.
    The mask argument boils down to this:

Those resistant to wearing masks = you respect my right to liberty

Those who willingly wear masks = I respect your right to liberty
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I wear a mask, but I thought that was what the social distancing is for if for some reason you can't where a mask.
    You need both.

The virus travels by transmission of respiratory droplets. The mask reduces the distance your respiratory droplets travel. The physical distancing keeps others beyond your reduced range spittle.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

15. Likes:

Larkin Fan (05-28-2020),marcshoe (05-28-2020),WrongVerb (05-28-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

PaintMeRed put it more succinctly than I could...

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    You need both.

The virus travels by transmission of respiratory droplets. The mask reduces the distance your respiratory droplets travel. The physical distancing keeps others beyond your reduced range spittle.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    It’s wearing a ****ing mask, Jesus Christ. And if she or people like her don’t do it, she puts me at risk, so yeah it actually is my business.
    As you say it is wearing a mask so get your panties out of a bunch and stay away from her.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Fwiw, I started working at a customer yesterday, and among many other things they've done, they involved actual scientists and doctors in designing the best system to keep everyone safe. The built a separate building that everyone has to go through and be screened. The screening includes a temp check that is logged in with your badge (not sure if the result is tracked to see if there is a daily incremental rise, but that would be cool if it gives any value), and you have to answer the typical questions. BUt what is key is that absolutely do not allow homemade masks because they just don't work very well (again, they consulted people who know their stuff). They give everyone a mask upon entry, and it is the typical medical mask with the metal clip that fits snug over the nose. You can tell if it fits right, because if it doesn't your glasses with be fogged up in minutes. Oh, and the factory ambient air was between 95 and 105, and I can tell you that I had to consciously regulate my breathing to prevent hyperventilation and chug water like a fish. Once I settled into long slow breaths, it was ok.

So, to these people who think they are awesome for tying a bandana around their face, order a box of fifty masks on Amazon and at least use something that is designed to protect others.
    Oh, you mean this mask won't do?

Attachment 16110

As you say it is wearing a mask so get your panties out of a bunch and stay away from her.
    That's not always possible in a small urban grocery store in a place like Staten Island, not to mention the additional droplets that linger in the air...

Turn Off Ads?