Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Dance

The Last Dance

Anybody else been watching it?

I know we have the NBA thread but thought this deserved it’s own thread. I was too young to really remember Jordan and the Bulls (never really understood why they broke up or who Jerry Krause was in the 90s) but each episode just gets better and better.

Episodes 9 and 10 are next Sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Last Dance

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Anybody else been watching it?

I know we have the NBA thread but thought this deserved it’s own thread. I was too young to really remember Jordan and the Bulls (never really understood why they broke up or who Jerry Krause was in the 90s) but each episode just gets better and better.

Episodes 9 and 10 are next Sunday.
    As a Utah Jazz fan, for me, the Season Finale was last night.

the best part from last night was Jordan being able to use "Good game Mike" as fuel to destroy the rookie who said it the next night....poor kid, not sure what he was supposed to say

also, at the very end, I was shocked that I had totally forgot that Chris Mullin was on some of those very good Pacer teams in the late 90's. I do recall, but without that visual, I would have claimed he played his entire career with GSW.
    Last edited by adkindo; 05-11-2020 at 06:44 PM.

I’ve enjoyed watching it but I honestly feel it’s over hyped.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

6. Likes:

BillDoran (05-11-2020),Revering4Blue (05-11-2020),texasdave (05-11-2020)

This sounded interesting, but 10 parts? no thanks.
    Go Gators!

I've found it to be fascinating story-telling. Like almost every 90s kid, I loved MJ and the Bulls but didn't follow it closely enough to know all these back stories. It's been really fun to learn about these other great teams and rivalries and to see the old arenas.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

9. Likes:

Dom Heffner (05-16-2020),dubc47834 (05-14-2020)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Too one-sided against Krause, who is not around to defend himself, while granting Reinsdorf an undeserved free pass.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I’ve enjoyed watching it but I honestly feel it’s over hyped.
    Perhaps but it's an oasis in this desert of no sports. Of course it's going to be overhyped because there's no other live sports available except for Korean baseball. It gives people around my age and older some nostalgia. It also gives young people a chance to see Jordan in his prime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

12. Likes:

dubc47834 (05-14-2020),North (05-11-2020),Redsfaithful (05-12-2020),redsfandan (05-12-2020),RichRed (05-12-2020),Rojo Rijo (05-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    This sounded interesting, but 10 parts? no thanks.
    I honestly would take 20 if they had enough content

14. Likes:

Dom Heffner (05-16-2020),Griffey012 (05-19-2020),Rojo Rijo (05-18-2020),Stray (05-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I honestly would take 20 if they had enough content
    Same
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I just finished part II last night.

With all the Jordan highlight reels, it's easy to forget that he did those crazy hang in the air acrobatics pretty much every night.

Jump up in the air, stay there for like 5 seconds, turn your back to the rim, get fouled, then underhand a no-look right into the basket. He really was something else.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I just finished part II last night.

With all the Jordan highlight reels, it's easy to forget that he did those crazy hang in the air acrobatics pretty much every night.

Jump up in the air, stay there for like 5 seconds, turn your back to the rim, get fouled, then underhand a no-look right into the basket. He really was something else.
    I think a lot people remember the '96-'98 Jordan where his game was more reliant on his fade-away jumper and forget just how explosive he was in his younger years.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Same
    Expanding on this a little, I can see how 10 hours of a 90s Bulls documentary could seem like too much, but it's seriously well done and compelling and it goes by very quickly at an hour or two at a time.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

19. Likes:

Dom Heffner (05-16-2020),dubc47834 (05-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Expanding on this a little, I can see how 10 hours of a 90s Bulls documentary could seem like too much, but it's seriously well done and compelling and it goes by very quickly at an hour or two at a time.
    I've said to my friends multiple times that I wish this thing was a 20 part series. It's been fantastic. I was a junior in high school when they won their first championship, so I watched pretty much any time Jordan was on from the late 80s until he retired.

For me, the pinnacle of watching sports in my lifetime was Jordan in the 90s. The next closest thing would be Tiger in his prime, and then Federer from 2004-07. But even those pale in comparison to watching MJ in his prime. This has been a very well-done series, but for me the nostalgia is what makes me so immersed. I think I could watch 20 hours of just highlights of Jordan in his career.

I also like seeing the human side of MJ. He was so polished in his playing days that we didn't get to see a lot of what we're seeing now. I love hearing him say things like "to be honest, I was a little bitter they gave Charles the MVP that season and not me". I loved seeing him laugh at the idea that Gary Payton slowed him down. This definitely seems more like the real guy than the finely crafted brand we saw back then.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

21. Likes:

RichRed (05-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I think a lot people remember the '96-'98 Jordan where his game was more reliant on his fade-away jumper and forget just how explosive he was in his younger years.
    It's like he defied the laws of physics. He would jump and then seemingly decide in mid-air if he needed to go higher. I could watch Jordan highlights for hours.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?