Page 31 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: How you gonna baseball?

Re: How you gonna baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    Thanks for the lecture ��

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    They should pay their minor leaguers a living wage.

They shouldn't try to destroy the minor league system in order to save a few bucks.

Let's start there.
    But its not about paying the minor leaguers a living wage here. Its about cutting the players who no longer have a position with the franchise.

Im not really debating what they did with the minor league system, just they kept paying players for almost two months who would have been cut in March.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    But its not about paying the minor leaguers a living wage here. Its about cutting the players who no longer have a position with the franchise.

Im not really debating what they did with the minor league system, just they kept paying players for almost two months who would have been cut in March.
    They don't have a position within the franchise because the franchises are cutting minor league teams in order to save a few bucks.

Owners have a history of nickle and diming their employees. They've been caught lying and cheating the system multiple times. (Collusion is just one example.)

Even now, Oakland's owner has figured out a work-around to save himself $1.3M by not paying his minor leaguers. They're still under team control, but not being paid.

If you support that, it's certainly your prerogative. I'm not here to tell you what to think.

I don't think it does any good for the game I love to have people like that in charge.

5. Likes:

Chip R (05-29-2020),REDREAD (06-04-2020)

David Price, Adam Wainwright, Daniel Murphy, even our own Nick Senzel-- each is a name you should research.

(There are more beyond those.)
    One example...

rancys Romero
    @FrancysRomero10

Sources: David Price will pay out of his money $ 1,000 during the month of June to each minor league player in Dodgers system (40-man roster not included) according to multiple sources. Beautiful act if we count that Price hasn't played yet in MLB with
    @Dodgers
    . RESPECT.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-29-2020),RED VAN HOT (05-29-2020)

My only point during the whole thing was I totally agree by the league players need to have a living wage. I'm only saying why doesn't the players into to the CBA. They are the only voice that my only players have.
    Crazy Reds Fan

They don't have a position within the franchise because the franchises are cutting minor league teams in order to save a few bucks.

Owners have a history of nickle and diming their employees. They've been caught lying and cheating the system multiple times. (Collusion is just one example.)

Even now, Oakland's owner has figured out a work-around to save himself $1.3M by not paying his minor leaguers. They're still under team control, but not being paid.

If you support that, it's certainly your prerogative. I'm not here to tell you what to think.

I don't think it does any good for the game I love to have people like that in charge.
    Every business cuts non-value added workers. Paying minor league filler just so they can field extra teams doesn't make sense unless it adds value. Good players usually skip levels anyway and the fringe guys who work their way to the big leagues are usually guys you get off the scrap heap and rarely from your own system. I get feeling like this is some unjust money grab, but if you think about it, what purpose does having all those extra levels in the system serve exactly? More meaningless games among players who will never see the big leagues? Do they really need all those levels?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

Rolando (05-29-2020)

The players who were cut recently were the same ones who would have been cut at the end of March. They weren't because there was a freeze put on things and they continued to get paid.

I tend to agree with MTH, if there isn't value in having all the minor league clubs, why keep them? Maybe it gives some guys a longer chance to chase their dream, but the vast majority of minor league players cut today are never going to to make it to the big leagues.

I think there is an argument to be had that a slimmed down minor league system may actually be better than the current system they have. The game changes, if you sit down and look at minor league baseball and say that 5-10% (just throwing out arbitrary numbers) are guys who have no future in pro ball, what good does it do for the organization to keep those players on the roster.

I would love to be in upper management at Apple, but I don't think I am qualified. There are plenty of people who want to chase a job who just aren't qualified for that job. Is baseball all that different?

Tucker Barnhart thinks baseball will be played this summer but there's still a lot of negotiating to do.

Barnhart, a Brownsburg native and the Cincinnati Reds' union rep and starting catcher, explained the situation facing players in an interview on 107.5 The Fan. He said that although there is a clause in the March agreement between the union and owners stating that there will good faith discussion of the economic feasibility of playing without fans, the players shouldn't be expected to renegotiate without knowing the owners are losing money.

"The union has sent a document request on, I believe, May 13, asking, Hey, we would really like to see these documents, basically asking (the owners) to open their books," Barnhart said. "Not all the way, but in a way that proves that it is not economically feasibly for them to play without fans in the stands because that’s what they’re talking about. And it took them 10 days to respond.

"Not to give documents or anything like that, it took them 10 days to just acknowledge the document request was sent. And then when they did acknowledge, they sent like, three documents — and I’m ballparking here — on roughly a 100-document request. ... I don’t understand why, if it is cut and dried for them, if it’s so damaging to play without fans in the stands, why not show your cards?"
    https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...le/5283975002/

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-29-2020),757690 (05-30-2020),cumberlandreds (05-29-2020),Edd Roush (05-29-2020),North (05-29-2020),REDREAD (06-04-2020)

CINCINNATI -- Professional baseball has been on hold since mid-March because of the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic, without a known date when it can resume. But a source told MLB.com on Friday that the Reds will continue to provide the weekly stipend to their Minor League players through what would have been the rest of the 2020 season.

Cincinnati will pay the full $400 per week to its Minor Leaguers through Sept. 7, which is the final day on the Minor League schedule. The organization will also continue to provide health benefits to those players.

After the sport was shut down, the Reds announced that their Minor League players would receive a stipend through May 31.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/reds-will-p...aguers-in-2020

Pretty generous if you consider that 90% of those guys will never play for the Reds and many won't even play for a Reds minor league affiliate if they do indeed contract minor league teams

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    https://www.mlb.com/news/reds-will-p...aguers-in-2020

Pretty generous if you consider that 90% of those guys will never play for the Reds and many won't even play for a Reds minor league affiliate if they do indeed contract minor league teams
    Sure is...$400 a week and health benefits. I wonder if they are getting that $600 a week?
    Last edited by North; 05-30-2020 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Removed conjured up out of thin air.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Sure is...$400 a week and health benefits. I wonder if they are getting that $600 a week?
    My son makes more than that working at a hardware store.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

welp. we might not gonna baseball.

18. Likes:

M2 (05-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    welp. we might not gonna baseball.
    Excellent phrasing. Is there some less than encouraging news?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My son makes more than that working at a hardware store.
    Nothing to stop these guys from working at a hardware store either. That way they'll get the Hardware money, the $400 extra plus they'll have health coverage.

Times are tough all over. A whole lot of these guys could have just been dumped and they'd be working at that Hardware store without the extra money or the health insurance. A whole lot of people would love that deal.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

For a more positive moment in this difficult time, watch the video of Trevor Bauer helping Hunter Greene with his secondary pitches over the last couple of days.

It’s on twitter and easily found on the internet.

I think all Reds fans would get a kick out of this, as I did.

Turn Off Ads?