Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Beginning the era of the universal DH

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Beginning the era of the universal DH

The current proposal that's being shopped around as the most likely scenario for a 2020 season includes the DH in both leagues during shortened 2020 and 2021 seasons. And several writers have speculated for a long time that the 2022 CBA will include the universal DH.

From Tom Haudricourt on Twitter:

Tom
    @Haudricourt
    Pending MLB agreement reportedly includes DH in NL for both 2020 and 2021. Then comes new CBA which almost certainly will include it. So, NL is a DH league now.
    As has been discussed, this could be a serious boost to the current Reds roster (if we ever see it). Fangraphs agrees, giving the Reds the fourth-highest gain in WAR among NL teams from the new rule, with Jesse Winker as the second-most valuable NL DH:

I've been ready for the universal DH anyway, but suffice it to say this gets me excited.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Likes:

REDREAD (06-19-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Beginning the era of the universal DH

The Reds definitely have the roster for it. Multiple guys would be better off as a DH and would be pretty decent playing that role. Winker, Castellanos, Votto and possibly Suarez seem to fit the job description.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

This is the first I've heard that the owners are offering the players a DH for next yr too. OK, that's a big get for the players and a nice bone for the owners to throw out there. What are the players offering to the owners? I'm not getting that...

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    This is the first I've heard that the owners are offering the players a DH for next yr too. OK, that's a big get for the players and a nice bone for the owners to throw out there. What are the players offering to the owners? I'm not getting that...
    The most recent report I read is a slightly shorter 2021 season. It's probably virus-dependent, but I'm guessing it would involve a later spring training.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?