Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: How you gonna baseball?

Re: How you gonna baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It appears that money and not testing is the hang up for MLB players
    Reading Bauer's Twitter earlier on today, this appears to be 99% of their objection. Although I do sympathise with the argument that the owners would privatise any gains and expect others to bear losses.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishRed View Post
    Reading Bauer's Twitter earlier on today, this appears to be 99% of their objection. Although I do sympathise with the argument that the owners would privatise any gains and expect others to bear losses.
    I don’t follow Bauer on Twitter, so I don’t know what he said, but he is just one player with his own personal opinions. He doesn’t speak for the union, and the union, as far I have heard, has not commented on this proposal.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don’t follow Bauer on Twitter, so I don’t know what he said, but he is just one player with his own personal opinions. He doesn’t speak for the union, and the union, as far I have heard, has not commented on this proposal.

This is what he said, although I accept he doesn't speak for MLBPA in any way, quite a few players have chirped in on the backlash he's getting.

Name:  Bauer1.png
Views: 309
Size:  77.1 KB

5. Likes:

757690 (05-15-2020)

This is what he said, although I accept he doesn't speak for MLBPA in any way, quite a few players have chirped in on the backlash he's getting.

Name:  Bauer1.png
Views: 309
Size:  77.1 KB
    Thanks. It’s clear money is an issue for some players. But I’m still going to wait until the Union makes a statement before drawing any conclusions.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    SO what? That doesn't mean something non-essential like baseball should require it players to make the same choice. Somebody needs to work at Kroger so people can buy food (and the person working there probably needs to so he or she can buy food). Nobody really needs to play baseball to buy food and no one in Society will go without an essential if Baseball isn't played.
    I agree that baseball is non essential. If we really wanted to further practice social distancing we could basically eliminate grocery stores and just use robots to sort orders and deliver products by drones. Same thing can happen with lowes and Wal Mart. Tele medicine can eliminate many healthcare workers. No need for restaurants since everyone will get grocery deliveries. We can cut the workforce by 70% at least! 90% of the country can stay safe at home!

8. Likes:

Rojo (05-22-2020)

If Eugenio Suárez gets COIVD 19, and it ends his career, was it worth it to re-start this season? Or even what about Alex Blandino?
    Nope. Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    I agree that baseball is non essential. If we really wanted to further practice social distancing we could basically eliminate grocery stores and just use robots to sort orders and deliver products by drones. Same thing can happen with lowes and Wal Mart. Tele medicine can eliminate many healthcare workers. No need for restaurants since everyone will get grocery deliveries. We can cut the workforce by 70% at least! 90% of the country can stay safe at home!
    We could, but those things aren't in place and would take quite a bit of change to make it happen. We could not do that today. It would take months or even years to get that in place and well, there is a pandemic right now and people need to eat. The decision to play or not play a sport is as simple as saying yes or no.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Privatize gains? They're offering a 50:50 split. That means gains would be shared.

It's not just Bauer. It's Snell and every "insider" report

I'm sure the initial agreement was rushed but I think it was a mistake of the owners to allow the players to say that they've already agreed to a pay cut. The owners should have written the agreement to say that the players forfeit any pay for games not played due to the C19 and that actual pay for remaining games would be negotiated at a later date, particularly if fans cannot attend.

I think it's disingenuous for players to claim that they've already agreed to a pay cut. No, actually they haven't. They've only agreed to not be paid for games which aren't played. That's a difference.

I've heard that the highest paid player in MLB this year is Prince Fielder. He's not on any 40 man roster so he's not bound by any players association agreement. His contract is fully guaranteed. He'll get $24 mill this year.

14. Likes:

JFLegal (05-16-2020),texasdave (05-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Privatize gains? They're offering a 50:50 split. That means gains would be shared.
    Gains ????

This is not a new CBA, supposedly it applies to this year only. And to think there will be gains ???? Not realistic

Players should reject the offer outright, because the nature of it can only lead down a bad road for them.

The owners are not dumb, any altruism this offer my seem to contain is also cover for their side of the financial agenda, which has always been a salary cap.

Doesn't mean the offer is in bad faith and is trying to disguise an ulterior motive, but it is written both with the owners short and long term interests at heart. Just like if the players were to write a proposal. And this type proposal is in essence a salary cap because the owners pick the income streams they include, and those income streams are not all the income streams associated with their baseball operation. In particular post season TV rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Gant View Post
    If the MLBPA feels that they are not going to be compensated fairly for their labor then they should not play. Enough with the working class hero BS of: "We are all struggling so other people, specifically uniquely talented professionals, should just bite it as well."

I'm also loving the fans who state that if this abbreviated season is outright canceled due to a disagreement in compensation that they will never follow the sport again. That is flat out lie and everyone knows it, especially those who posted it.
    "those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

the 1994 strike really hurt baseball. a lot of fans never came back. and that did not happen during a pandemic when millions of americans were losing their jobs and nearly 100,000 americans were losing their lives. diehard reds' fans like us who post on a reds message board? yes, we will always be reds fans and baseball fans. i'm not talking about us. i'm talking about the more casual fan. if the 1994 strike did a lot of damage (and it did) then canceling the 2020 season due a squabble over money could be what makes major league baseball become a shell of its former self. now, if they don't play the season because health experts determine it's unsafe for the players, that is a different argument. but presuming the argument comes 100% down to money and they don't play the season, baseball will take a crippling blow, imo.

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-16-2020),Rdirtypirates (05-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    Gains ????

This is not a new CBA, supposedly it applies to this year only. And to think there will be gains ???? Not realistic
    I agree, there won't be any gains here. I was referring to our Brit friend who said this:

Although I do sympathise with the argument that the owners would privatise any gains and expect others to bear losses.

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    Players should reject the offer outright, because the nature of it can only lead down a bad road for them.

The owners are not dumb, any altruism this offer my seem to contain is also cover for their side of the financial agenda, which has always been a salary cap.

Doesn't mean the offer is in bad faith and is trying to disguise an ulterior motive, but it is written both with the owners short and long term interests at heart. Just like if the players were to write a proposal. And this type proposal is in essence a salary cap because the owners pick the income streams they include, and those income streams are not all the income streams associated with their baseball operation. In particular post season TV rights.
    Why reject it outright? Why not counter with an offer of their own?

Turn Off Ads?