Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: How you gonna baseball?

Re: How you gonna baseball?

Told you California was going to ruin this for us:

BREAKING: Los Angeles County’s stay-at-home orders extended for the next 3 months - KTLA
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Stay at home for 5 months. LOL

4. Likes:

REDREAD (05-14-2020),Sea Ray (05-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Only reasonable solution is to contract the Dodgers.

Can we get St. Louis to close for a few years as well??

6. Likes:

757690 (05-12-2020),RedTeamGo! (05-12-2020)

This is not official. It’s based on one person in a meeting saying there will be some sort of stay at home orders through July. LA country has already lifted some restrictions and will lift more tomorrow. There are three phases, so it’s likely that the third phase won’t be until July, but there will be continuing softening of restrictions until then.

My guess is that they will allow baseball games without fans by July.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

8. Likes:

NebraskaRed (05-12-2020),RedTeamGo! (05-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    When did I mention busting the union? Why would you attribute those words to me?
    Apologies, I shouldn't have used such a loaded term. I didn't mean to imply any motivations to you. I meant you were right that the owner's appear to have the leverage in the short term. How they use that is of course entirely at their discretion.

They can "bust the union" in this negotiation by using their leverage to get maximum payroll concessions this season, or they can look at this as a unique opportunity to put baseball in the limelight and set themselves (and the player's union) up to divide larger pies in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This is not official. It’s based on one person in a meeting saying there will be some sort of stay at home orders through July. LA country has already lifted some restrictions and will lift more tomorrow. There are three phases, so it’s likely that the third phase won’t be until July, but there will be continuing softening of restrictions until then.

My guess is that they will allow baseball games without fans by July.
    In addition, they are calling it a "safer at home" order.

They can go play in Arizona

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    In addition, they are calling it a "safer at home" order.
    Some of them seem to be trying to score from first as the ball rattles around the warning track.

13. Likes:

Hoosier Red (05-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Correct, it'll be pro-rated league minimum for only days active - so it'll cost owners practically nothing more than it was already going to. In a regular season, teams use nearly 50 players over a season - no different.
    In looking at the details, it appears that they'll have a 30 man active roster. So therefore that means 4 extra major league jobs per team, or 120 new MLB jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Apologies, I shouldn't have used such a loaded term. I didn't mean to imply any motivations to you. I meant you were right that the owner's appear to have the leverage in the short term. How they use that is of course entirely at their discretion.

They can "bust the union" in this negotiation by using their leverage to get maximum payroll concessions this season, or they can look at this as a unique opportunity to put baseball in the limelight and set themselves (and the player's union) up to divide larger pies in the future.
    I didn't say that they have leverage either. I merely said that it made sense that they couldn't afford to pay full salary for 82 games since they weren't getting revenue from fans attending. I don't tie this to any negotiation in the future. This is an isolated event

In looking at the details, it appears that they'll have a 30 man active roster. So therefore that means 4 extra major league jobs per team, or 120 new MLB jobs.
    The details? Sweet, you want to pass along those "details" to everyone.

LOL, MLB Clubs are going to have active -dress- rosters and then a taxi squad who is going to make little.

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-12-2020)

I didn't say that they have leverage either. I merely said that it made sense that they couldn't afford to pay full salary for 82 games since they weren't getting revenue from fans attending. I don't tie this to any negotiation in the future. This is an isolated event
    I think I'm communicating ill intent when none is intended. This is a negotiation.

As you said in the original post I was responding to "If the avg career is about 5 yrs then the players risk losing 20% of their career earnings if they don't agree to this deal."
    That's leverage which the owners possess. That doesn't make it wrong or evil, its just a statement of fact.

They can, if they choose, use that leverage and maximize the payroll reductions the players will accept. I just don't think that's wise.
    They're much better off both long term and short term maximizing the value of this season to a)take the opportunity to be the only game in town and b)preserve and enhance the various media contract revenue which is a much much larger part of their revenue pie than attendance.

If you're saying, "As for the money, I don't see how the owners can give any more up." Than it sounds like you'd be in favor of the owners not bending on salary in the forthcoming negotiation. I think whatever additional concessions the owners give will be paid back in additional eyeballs and consumers both now and in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    They can go play in Arizona
    Los Angeles? They got one in South Patagonia.

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

20. Likes:

westofyou (05-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Los Angeles? They got one in South Patagonia.

I knew a man...

22. Likes:

M2 (05-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I agree the players balking over money is a bad look, but they have legitimate reasons to reject this offer. The main reason is that this is an attempt by the owners to break the union, or at least soften it for the 2022 negotiations. That is what all of this is about, the 2022 CBA negotiations.

That is why I suggested a proposal that Bill Peterson, the former Post beat writer suggests. I posted it in the now closed first thread on this topic. Here it is again:

It's based on the assumption that the owners are set on playing hardball and trying to break the union in 2022 when the current CBA is up. These current negotiations suggest strongly that this is the case, along with many other hints the owners have been giving since Manfred has been commissioner. If you don't agree with this assumption, nothing to discuss. But if you do, here is Peterson's proposal for the players.

Reject this proposal not on money issues, but safety issues, and make safety demands that the owners will never accept. That shouldn't be hard to come up with, considering how serious this health crisis is, and all its implications. Given in on the money, but don't give in on the safety demands, and eventually cancel the season. This will be a de facto strike, without it looking like a strike, or even the players making financial demands. It will be framed as a health issue.

The players will lose their salaries for this year, but they have already negotiated service time will count, and $170M in pay to be distributed among themselves. So they get service time and $170M and a strike, and very little blowback from the fans. The owners will never allow a strike in 2022, so this also puts the players in the driver's seat for negotiations in 2022.

It would suck for fans this year, but it may be the best thing for baseball long term, and result in another long period of labor peace.
    And to think, I used to like nutty old Bill when I knew him back in the late 80s, early 90s. Hope they don't take his advice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Turn Off Ads?