Turn Off Ads?
Page 36 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: How you gonna baseball?

Re: How you gonna baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yes, seriously.
    The owners need to honor the spirit of the orginal agreement.
    Pay the players their full prorated salary.
    The owners won't make as much as they hoped for in 2020, maybe even some kind of a loss (I don't want to argue that, it is not relevant to the point)
    So let's say the owners have a "rough" 2020.. Well, that dampens the FA market this winter.. As one of the articles said, the owners won't have to collude. Free agents will likely get the lowest salaries they have had in a long time. If this goes on for a few years, it will also depress the arbitration figures. Eventually, the owners will recover enough cash that they will start paying big bucks for free agents again. So it all works out in the end. The players are going to take a hit either way.. Either they can take it in 2020 (which I don't think they should) or they can take the hit in future contracts. The owners need to take the hit this year. The alternative is no season, and the owners lose even more money that way.
    This is interesting and I never thought of it this way. I wonder if the players holding firm are going to end up losing in the end when it comes to FA. The guys who are arb eligible and or have options, may be in better positions than the ones entering free agency.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (06-04-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I think the owners accept that they're going to lose money but they still have to decide on how much they're willing to lose. There is a limit, even to billionaires

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think the owners accept that they're going to lose money but they still have to decide on how much they're willing to lose. There is a limit, even to billionaires
    That’s pretty shortsighted.

Good PR is important and if there is no baseball this summer it would be a PR disaster. Won’t see me giving any money to MLB for years to come, and I know I’m not alone with that sentiment.

Baseball is supposed to be the national pastime and if they can’t figure this out they will be turning their collective back on America because of greed.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

6. Likes:

REDREAD (06-04-2020)

Here is what I will do I am going to play Strat O Matic with the 1982 reds vs 1983 reds and see if German Barranca can get a hit off Bill Scherrer

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    Here is what I will do I am going to play Strat O Matic with the 1982 reds vs 1983 reds and see if German Barranca can get a hit off Bill Scherrer
    The answer is most likely no, but maybe he can draw a walk.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (06-04-2020)

We went with Statis Pro Baseball over Strat O Matic when I was growing up. Loved that game, but it was a big mistake to choose that brand. Probably did it to save $3.

My generation played MLB Showdown, a game developed by Wizards of the Coast. The Athletic did a really cool retrospective on the game a couple weeks ago:

Twenty summers ago, my sister and I spent an afternoon at beautiful Bainbridge Island … playing MLB Showdown 2000. It was our summer obsession, even in the middle of a family vacation.

My sister always picked Chipper Jones, the player who donned the cover of the starter’s set. I always wanted Pedro Martinez. Our friends searched for Mariners players to fill their lineups.

We played two games side by side, rolling the 20-sided die and moving players around the diamond. We marveled at the special foil cards — the players who earned a holographic design — and jockeyed to get the most in our respective lineups.

We celebrated rolling a 20 for a home run as if we had hit a ball over the sandlot fence ourselves.

Little did we know our summer obsession was created just months prior in nearby Seattle, and remains a fond memory for both creators and fans of the game.
    https://theathletic.com/1828392/2020...-mlb-showdown/

12. Likes:

Boston Red (06-04-2020),Larkin Fan (06-15-2020)

How many days until college football?

14. Likes:

GAC (06-05-2020)

As for MLB, if an agreement isn't struck then I'd say that evidence that the owners were telling the truth on their finances. It'd show that they'll lose less money by not having a season than by paying the players with no stadium revenue. I agree, a season does not look good right now
    Yes, maybe having no season helps the owners in the short term, this year.
    But the owners need to look at the big picture and see the damage this would cause in 2021 and beyond.
    I am planning on switching to a cheaper cable plan (Without espn, fox networks, etc) because it doesn't look like there's going to be baseball this year, and the Cavs stink, so why pay for these sports channels? It was an ok price when I first started, but of course the cable company just keeps jacking up the price until it gets insane. So if I am going to switch providers anyhow to cut my bill, why pay for sports now?

I was all fired up about this season, the Reds were making a serious effort to win, but now I really don't care.
    Sure, I will follow it if it ever happens, but not with as much enthusiasm.
    If the entire season gets canned, it's going to be hard to watch 2021 after Bauer and Disco likely leave, and Castellenous might opt out, etc. We went all in this year, and now this year might not happen, and if it does happen, there's probably going to be some crazy expanded playoff system that makes the regular season pointless.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Strat-o-Matic replays and watching an occasional rerun of playoff or World Series games.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That’s pretty shortsighted.

Good PR is important and if there is no baseball this summer it would be a PR disaster. Won’t see me giving any money to MLB for years to come, and I know I’m not alone with that sentiment.

Baseball is supposed to be the national pastime and if they can’t figure this out they will be turning their collective back on America because of greed.
    It looks like the NBA is making its move.

Adrian Wojnarowski
    @wojespn
    The NBA’s Board of Governors has voted to approve the league’s 22-team format to restart the 2019-2020 season in Orlando, source tells ESPN.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (06-08-2020),RedTeamGo! (06-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    So let's say the owners have a "rough" 2020.. Well, that dampens the FA market this winter.. As one of the articles said, the owners won't have to collude. Free agents will likely get the lowest salaries they have had in a long time. If this goes on for a few years, it will also depress the arbitration figures. Eventually, the owners will recover enough cash that they will start paying big bucks for free agents again. So it all works out in the end. The players are going to take a hit either way.. Either they can take it in 2020 (which I don't think they should) or they can take the hit in future contracts. The owners need to take the hit this year. The alternative is no season, and the owners lose even more money that way.
    Excellent points. Whether you actually believe the owners are losing money is irrelevant. The point is that they say they are losing money and will, most likely, act like they are. Wanna-be free agents are going to have to take a lot less than they thought they would. I'm skeptical when I hear during the negotiations that the players will defer money to the future. That sounds very nebulous to me. Unless it's some sort of fixed amount to be paid at a certain time owners will just chalk it up to the lack of games and fans this season and the difficulty in recovering from it.

Then they should sell out. I'm certainly not going to hold my breath waiting for any of these owners to sell. We hear so much about the owners losing money and you don't get into business to lose money. That's true but for a regular business due to the economy or some kind of setback or because they are just starting out, some years you lose money. Sometimes you even plan for it. But if an owner sold their business the first time they lost money business would change hands so often it would make you dizzy. But in a business like MLB where the clubs have made record profits for years, a smart owner isn't going to sell because of a year they lost money due to extraordinary circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

20. Likes:

REDREAD (06-08-2020),Ron Madden (06-04-2020)

the owners don't seem to understand how short-sighted they are being. sure, they can try and mitigate their losses this year by playing extreme hardball and being willing to cancel the season. then guess what will happen in 2021 and beyond? the values of their teams will go way down. if owners think fans will come back in the same numbers if this season is canceled, they are living in a fantasy world. this will turn off so many fans that mlb will be a shell of itself. then those same owners will really be losing money. and not just for one season. but all seasons. and less fans in the stands will be the least of their worries. tv revenue will go way down because ratings will be way down.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (06-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    It looks like the NBA is making its move.

Adrian Wojnarowski
    @wojespn
    The NBA’s Board of Governors has voted to approve the league’s 22-team format to restart the 2019-2020 season in Orlando, source tells ESPN.
    You will see a point in our lifetimes, maybe within the next ten years, NBA is considered the national pastime. I think NFL popularity is going to die out eventually (It’s becoming very boring IMHO). MLB acts as if they want to be NHL Hockey. It’s absurd.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    You will see a point in our lifetimes, maybe within the next ten years, NBA is considered the national pastime. I think NFL popularity is going to die out eventually (It’s becoming very boring IMHO). MLB acts as if they want to be NHL Hockey. It’s absurd.
    No one cares about the NBA for the vast majority of the regular season.

Turn Off Ads?