Re: How you gonna baseball?

I would've never guessed that was him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I thought it was Jared Burton

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    The Rangers’ new ballpark will never have a baseball game played in it
    While that would serve the Arlington Texas right, I don't see it happening.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    And players sticking to their salary demands better take into account the future value of their skills and talents in a sport that becomes an afterthought with the loss of casual fans fed up with the off-field drama.

There are two sides to every labor dispute and this is no exception. No heroes here.
    yes, i've clearly said both sides are being fools here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    And MLB isn’t falling behind the NBA either.
    you're right. it isn't falling behind. because it already fell behind years ago. nba is clearly ahead of mlb in ratings, valuation of teams, basically any meaningful metric that one could point to.

7. Likes:

Boss-Hog (06-08-2020),M2 (06-08-2020),membengal (06-08-2020),REDREAD (06-10-2020),RedTeamGo! (06-08-2020),Revering4Blue (06-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    you're right. it isn't falling behind. because it already fell behind years ago. nba is clearly ahead of mlb in ratings, valuation of teams, basically any meaningful metric that one could point to.
    Not to mention social cachet. Movies, music, memes, general sports coverage - MLB is getting dusted. I'll always love baseball and I think the talent in today's game is amazing, but it's kind of groping for where it fits in 21st century America. Just an out loud thought on the subject, seems like it would do well to be the sport that slashes its ticket and concession prices to make it more accessible.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-08-2020),Plus Plus (06-08-2020),RedTeamGo! (06-08-2020),Revering4Blue (06-08-2020),Roy Tucker (06-08-2020)

52 years ago when baseball was dying before

There was a time when American boys so endowed spent most of their afternoons playing nothing but baseball, yearned only for a career in baseball, and once signed , spent at least three years in the minors learning their trade - that is learning to hit. All this has changed. Boys have more afternoon diversions, many which do not require 17 companions and an empty sandlot, and baseball now must compete with football, basketball and golf in signing up the best teen-age athletes. Even if the young phenom does choose baseball, he no longer enjoys the same lengthy apprenticeship. Expansion Baseball and television has dried up most of the minor leagues, and the baseball draft now makes it impossible for the parent club to train and protect a promising young slugger in El Paso or Rochester for more than two years. Hurried through the minor, brushed up in the winter instructional leagues, the would be Gehrig or Musial suddenly finds himself in the batters box in a big league park, where he is expected to begin repaying at once the investment of his owners and the hope of the fans. Unsurprisingly he pops up.

~ Roger Angell - The Summer Game 1968

11. Likes:

BoxingRed (06-08-2020)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Not to mention social cachet. Movies, music, memes, general sports coverage - MLB is getting dusted. I'll always love baseball and I think the talent in today's game is amazing, but it's kind of groping for where it fits in 21st century America. Just an out loud thought on the subject, seems like it would do well to be the sport that slashes its ticket and concession prices to make it more accessible.
    Great post.

I have been *****ing about prices for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    52 years ago when baseball was dying before

There was a time when American boys so endowed spent most of their afternoons playing nothing but baseball, yearned only for a career in baseball, and once signed , spent at least three years in the minors learning their trade - that is learning to hit. All this has changed. Boys have more afternoon diversions, many which do not require 17 companions and an empty sandlot, and baseball now must compete with football, basketball and golf in signing up the best teen-age athletes. Even if the young phenom does choose baseball, he no longer enjoys the same lengthy apprenticeship. Expansion Baseball and television has dried up most of the minor leagues, and the baseball draft now makes it impossible for the parent club to train and protect a promising young slugger in El Paso or Rochester for more than two years. Hurried through the minor, brushed up in the winter instructional leagues, the would be Gehrig or Musial suddenly finds himself in the batters box in a big league park, where he is expected to begin repaying at once the investment of his owners and the hope of the fans. Unsurprisingly he pops up.

~ Roger Angell - The Summer Game 1968
    Does EVERYTHING run in 52 year cycles?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Great post.

I have been *****ing about prices for years now.
    100%. I haven't sat in a good seat at an MLB game that I actually paid for in years. YEARS. If I get a freebie through work or knowing someone, fantastic. But if I'm taking the family and paying (or even just taking myself and paying), I'm in the "cheap" seats upstairs. Got to save the money for a few $9 beers.

15. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-08-2020),Revering4Blue (06-08-2020)

Per Heyman on twitter:

MLB has made a new proposal to players. They are trying to get a deal done.

MLB seems to have made decent move. 75% of salaries plus no draft pick compensation this offseason for the first time in 45 years

The new MLB proposal Is for 76 games

In new MLB proposal season would begin about July 10. The delays cost the July 4 start.
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-08-2020),JFLegal (06-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Per Heyman on twitter:

MLB seems to have made decent move. 75% of salaries plus no draft pick compensation this offseason for the first time in 45 years

In new MLB proposal season would begin about July 10. The delays cost the July 4 start.
    Please get this done. I'm ready for some baseball! I wanted it July 4th, but I'll take July 10th.

19. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-08-2020),Revering4Blue (06-08-2020),Ron Madden (06-08-2020)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    100%. I haven't sat in a good seat at an MLB game that I actually paid for in years. YEARS. If I get a freebie through work or knowing someone, fantastic. But if I'm taking the family and paying (or even just taking myself and paying), I'm in the "cheap" seats upstairs. Got to save the money for a few $9 beers.
    Yeah, freaking $9 for a beer. Crazy. Why so salty? Is it unicorn piss?

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Per Heyman on twitter:

July 10th is my birthday

GET THIS DONE!!!

22. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-08-2020),kaldaniels (06-08-2020),RedsFanInMS (06-08-2020),Revering4Blue (06-08-2020),Ron Madden (06-08-2020)

Some Steve Mancuso math to discuss as well:

Pre-COVID wages for players = $4 billion. 100% salary for 50 games (last MLB offer) is $1.23 billion for players. 75% of 76 games (new MLB offer) is $1.41 billion. 100% of 82 games would be $2 billion. That's the gap.

Reminder: Pay attention to items beyond wages and games. Players offer of 2021 post-season, Home Run Derby and All Star Game closes most if not all the $600 million gap. There's a deal to be made now from items on the table.

76 games at 100% salary. Two expanded postseasons. Home Run Derby. All Star Game. Some playoff money for players. Deferral number (or a little more) from MLBPA offer. Player's version of health opt-out.

You're welcome.

Play ball already.
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

24. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-08-2020),JFLegal (06-08-2020)

Turn Off Ads?