Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: How you gonna baseball?

Re: How you gonna baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I read a figure from an article that said owners estimate that gate money would reduce their income by 40%. If players would prefer a 40% cut in their salaries for the remaining games I'm sure that could be arranged. Somehow I doubt it's that simple
    I think the players' stance (which I agree with) is that fans come to games to watch the players, not the ownership. Also, given that franchises are making money hand over fist, it would be a pretty bad precedent as well. Do the players then get 40% of the TV deal money, or the concessions, or merchandise deals?

The most sensible solution would be to prorate everything to 50%, have an 81 game season, pay players 50% of their salaries in a pro-rated fashion, and have owners take a haircut for a year with the presumption that more people will be watching on TV than any time in recent history.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

2. Turn Off Ads?

The owners want the players to agree to a certain percentage of money as determined by the owners and their accountants.

If owners are willing to open their books completely and abide by players' expert valuations, perhaps the players will accept a 50/50 split.

Somehow, I don't think that will happen...

4. Likes:

757690 (05-13-2020)

They have health concerns, if that's why they take the blame then so be it

“We want to figure out how safe we can make not only the players but our coaches who are now in an age bracket with a higher risk, our medical staff, our training staff,” one player said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. “How about all the non-uniformed players who help us perform? The analysts? The scouts? We’re not just looking out for us. It’s not right for us to look out just for ourselves.”
    If it is health and safety concerns, then they absolutely are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I think the players' stance (which I agree with) is that fans come to games to watch the players, not the ownership. Also, given that franchises are making money hand over fist, it would be a pretty bad precedent as well. Do the players then get 40% of the TV deal money, or the concessions, or merchandise deals?

The most sensible solution would be to prorate everything to 50%, have an 81 game season, pay players 50% of their salaries in a pro-rated fashion, and have owners take a haircut for a year with the presumption that more people will be watching on TV than any time in recent history.
    The players could have gotten a percentage of the tv deal money etc if they'd wanted it in the previous CBA. They purposely rejected such a system 'cause they didn't want a salary cap.

I think owners would love to pay players 50% in a pro rated fashion. I assume by that you mean that they only get paid for 81 games and those games will be paid at 50%.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    The owners want the players to agree to a certain percentage of money as determined by the owners and their accountants.

If owners are willing to open their books completely and abide by players' expert valuations, perhaps the players will accept a 50/50 split.

Somehow, I don't think that will happen...
    They don't have time for a study of anyone's books

The players could have gotten a percentage of the tv deal money etc if they'd wanted it in the previous CBA. They purposely rejected such a system 'cause they didn't want a salary cap.

I think owners would love to pay players 50% in a pro rated fashion. I assume by that you mean that they only get paid for 81 games and those games will be paid at 50%.
    Right, so player weekly paychecks would look the same as they had been for games played. I would also assume that service time would accrue in a prorated, or double, fashion.
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

There's leverage on both sides. If they don't play at all then the owners are out a ton of money. You're implying that the owners have leverage over the players and I disagree. I don't think either side has a disproportionate amount of leverage over the other
    I'm pretty sure none of the owners have baseball as their primary source of income. If baseball goes away they simply go back to running their other multi-million dollar corporations and stay rich. The players don't have an option even remotely close to that.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-13-2020),M2 (05-13-2020),Wonderful Monds (05-13-2020)

If they play in 2020, it's gonna be with the DH for everyone.

If they do that, I expect that the NL will continue to have it from now on.

11. Likes:

Chip R (05-13-2020),REDREAD (05-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post

And consider this a time for baseball to build its fanbase going forward as it will be the only form of live sporting event airing across the country where many people are still stuck at home.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

13. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    And consider this a time for baseball to build its fanbase going forward as it will be the only form of live sporting event airing across the country where many people are still stuck at home.
    IMO the first sport to get back will reap a massive windfall.

15. Likes:

EnglishRed (05-13-2020),mgbrown66 (05-13-2020),Old school 1983 (05-14-2020),REDREAD (05-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    If they play in 2020, it's gonna be with the DH for everyone.

If they do that, I expect that the NL will continue to have it from now on.
    I suspect that's correct. The DH is not my jam, but it looks like they're going to rip off the band-aid if they play this season. I just hope it's part of a larger league reorganization moving forward.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

17. Likes:

Sea Ray (05-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I'm pretty sure none of the owners have baseball as their primary source of income. If baseball goes away they simply go back to running their other multi-million dollar corporations and stay rich. The players don't have an option even remotely close to that.
    That's always the case yet MLB players win negotiations every time. I think owners leverage is overstated

Here are Trevor Bauer's thoughts on the proposal.
    https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/5187981002

I am guessing this is how a lot of players feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    Here are Trevor Bauer's thoughts on the proposal.
    https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/5187981002

I am guessing this is how a lot of players feel.
    Well, the ones already rolling in $ would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    IMO the first sport to get back will reap a massive windfall.
    That sport appears to be NASCAR, who is racing Sunday, Wednesday and then the following Sunday. Three races in eight days. It’s gonna be very interesting to see how it goes from a health perspective, a competition perspective (no practice or qualifying, strictly one day shows) and a TV ratings perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by bradmanuel View Post
    That sport appears to be NASCAR, who is racing Sunday, Wednesday and then the following Sunday. Three races in eight days. It’s gonna be very interesting to see how it goes from a health perspective, a competition perspective (no practice or qualifying, strictly one day shows) and a TV ratings perspective.
    UFC had fights last saturday last night and friday. The fight on saturday did about 700thousand ppv buys. One of the fighters and two of his corner men tested positive. That fight was cancelled.

23. Likes:

bm1475 (05-14-2020)

Turn Off Ads?