Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Short Season Thoughts

Re: Short Season Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Split squads.
    You could have 6 home/road against the other 9 teams in the NL/AL central. That totals 108 games.

Why is that significant? Same amount of games the Reds played in 1981. This is the revenge of 1981.
    This time they win the shortened season.

2. Likes:

North (05-12-2020),Old school 1983 (05-14-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

It's gonna be .... what am I saying, it already is ... weird as hell. Especially with no fans in attendance. 82 games ain't no big deal. If the NBA can do it, then MLB can handle it for one year. Here's the thing for me, and maybe for many of you too .... emotionally, psychologically, I'm about drained from this "situation". I'm not attempting to lessen the severity of what we're experiencing in ths country right now; but you get up every morning, and in the course of your day, wherever you may go, whatever you may do, your mind has been "trained" coronavirus, cornavirus, cornavirus. I'm to the point I'm tired of it. It can drive you nuts. You're surrounded by it.

Watching a baseball game wil be a welcome retreat. But I hope the emphasis, by the announcers, is on the game, what's going on down on the field, and that they don't feel obligated to integrate cornavirus updates or discussions during the game. Keep it to a minimum. Give us a break, and allow us to ENJOY baseball, and not have to listen to announcers like Brennaman, Buck, or whoever, giving us their opinion or updates on this pandemic. Let us "escape" for that brief time.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-13-2020),North (05-13-2020),Old school 1983 (05-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    All that being said, if the Reds win the World Series there is 0 doubt in my mind that I'm buying $500 worth of World Series gear and wearing it proudly! The 30 year old gear is getting a bit stale! The Royals just won theirs on the 30th anniversary of their last one. Why not us?
    I will wear this with pride.

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

7. Likes:

North (05-13-2020),Tony Cloninger (05-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Watching a baseball game wil be a welcome retreat. But I hope the emphasis, by the announcers, is on the game, what's going on down on the field, and that they don't feel obligated to integrate cornavirus updates or discussions during the game. Keep it to a minimum. Give us a break, and allow us to ENJOY baseball, and not have to listen to announcers like Brennaman, Buck, or whoever, giving us their opinion or updates on this pandemic. Let us "escape" for that brief time.
    Excellent point. But you know the tv guys will feel a need to pontificate or give public service announcements. Like any other year we'll just have to turn Thom off and listen to Cowboy and the new radio guy (who's name already escapes me!)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Excellent point. But you know the tv guys will feel a need to pontificate or give public service announcements. Like any other year we'll just have to turn Thom off and listen to Cowboy and the new radio guy (who's name already escapes me!)
    The announcers of all sports will be tripping over themselves with Howard Cosell peak era MNF like soliloquy’s about how it’s just a game and there are more important things. We already know that. Can we please watch the game and have you analyze the pandemic yourself. Is probably what I will be saying most of the time.

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-13-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

It’d be one thing if it were just a short season, but all the goofy rule changes and everything, it’s going to be hard for me to take the results super seriously. Not to mention if games are cancelled unevenly and you have guys sitting out due to infection and all that.

12. Likes:

757690 (05-13-2020),Tony Cloninger (05-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    It’d be one thing if it were just a short season, but all the goofy rule changes and everything, it’s going to be hard for me to take the results super seriously. Not to mention if games are cancelled unevenly and you have guys sitting out due to infection and all that.
    The empty stadiums will make it hard to take legitimately as well. I tried watching the Korean games without fans. I lasted an inning and a half. I missed the roar of the crowd.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

14. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (05-13-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The empty stadiums will make it hard to take legitimately as well. I tried watching the Korean games without fans. I lasted an inning and a half. I missed the roar of the crowd.
    The silver lining to empty stadiums will be no "Woo."

16. Likes:

757690 (05-13-2020),Bourgeois Zee (05-13-2020),cumberlandreds (05-13-2020),Danny Serafini (05-14-2020),membengal (05-13-2020),Old school 1983 (05-14-2020),Roy Tucker (05-14-2020),Tony Cloninger (05-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    The silver lining to empty stadiums will be no "Woo."
    I love empty stadiums.

You can hear the crack of the bat so well.

Reminds me of HS and college ball.

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-14-2020),Tony Cloninger (05-14-2020)

Haunted by walks

Existentially, what does regular baseball even mean — that for a week or two in October, one of the more successful teams in the league performed better than another successful team at hitting a round ball with a round bat, squarely?

20. Likes:

Bob Sheed (05-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    idk i think that has less to do with empty stadiums and more to do with it being korean baseball lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Existentially, what does regular baseball even mean — that for a week or two in October, one of the more successful teams in the league performed better than another successful team at hitting a round ball with a round bat, squarely?
    There it is. That's the thing we all need to fight off.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    There it is. That's the thing we all need to fight off.
    Huh?

Baseball will never have another opportunity like this. People are home 24/7. School is or will be out soon. People aren’t taking vacations or going to movies or concerts. We desperately need something else to do, watch, enjoy or think about.

Play games the next couple of month not because declaring a champion matters. Play for the pure joy of the game. Play to give people a distraction from every day. Play to cultivate a new generation of fans by exposing people to the beauty of the game that has connected people for over a century. Play to teach kids the fundamentals, how to work through adversity and handle failure.

We could have games start early in the morning and go well into the night. Let fans announce pitchers and batters over the stadium loudspeaker system via phone. Set up a Zoom or Webex connection so fans can chat with the guys in the bullpen For an inning or the batter who is in the hole and thus still down in the dugout. So many possibilities now that will vanish when the world goes back to something resembling normal.

Or let money and brinkmanship drive everything, lose an entire season with the whole nation as a captive audience, then wonder why the gap continues to grow between fan interest in football/basketball and baseball.

26. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-14-2020),InsaneinthBrame (05-15-2020),Old school 1983 (05-14-2020),Phoenix2 (05-14-2020),Tony Cloninger (05-14-2020)

I can see maybe 100 fans picked to go spread out. 1 fab per row maybe. Not seated near each other so it would be all over but well more than 10 plus feet or more.

Let’s see a 100 person wave.

28. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-14-2020)

Turn Off Ads?