Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nascent OH return to school plans

Re: Nascent OH return to school plans

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    What would it be? I’m not being snarky, I truly don’t know what you mean.
    Sorry, I mean the obvious thing would be listening to experts and making data driven decisions. I don't think that is happening right now in Ohio and DeWine kind of said that today:

https://twitter.com/susantebben/stat...05170588168199

"DeWine on measuring success during the pandemic: "We had hoped to see is not a plateau, we had hoped to see that curve go down." As the governor announces openings in the state, also says "we're not where we hoped we would be."
    August feels really far away, I don't have an opinion on what the right thing to do is, hopefully the numbers will dwindle and it'll be obvious reopening schools is the thing to do. But I think we're going to reopen either way.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    ... and local school districts.

My point was the state of Ohio doesn't own local school buildings as you said. I think a kids in masks requirement would see a court challenge from more than one local district in Ohio, but we'll see I guess.

Anyway, I don't really have an opinion on whether it's ok, or needed, but my kids would be staying home. It's a half-assed measure that wouldn't be doing much, like the 2 day a week proposal, and like most of what we're doing now.

If parents didn't need a place to store their kids during working hours I think it would be fairly obvious what is necessary, and it wouldn't be this.
    OK. Are you going to home school them or hold them back a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    OK. Are you going to home school them or hold them back a year?
    Probably would home school. Oldest could still play school sports, if they happen, from what I understand, youngest isn't to middle school yet, and I don't think missing a year of in school education in the K-6 range would hurt him.

The oldest plays tennis, a year of intense instruction there at this point in development wouldn't hurt him anyway, and it's not really possible to do that if he's in typical school. It's not the sort of thing I'd normally have considered, but lemons, lemonade.

I don't view any of this as set in stone. Maybe my mind changes on masks in schools, maybe somebody at some point will give me an argument that persuades me that the danger here necessitates all of these measures while also not being dangerous enough to forego putting kids, teachers, and support staff together in a building all day.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Probably would home school. Oldest could still play school sports, if they happen, from what I understand, youngest isn't to middle school yet, and I don't think missing a year of in school education in the K-6 range would hurt him.

The oldest plays tennis, a year of intense instruction there at this point in development wouldn't hurt him anyway, and it's not really possible to do that if he's in typical school. It's not the sort of thing I'd normally have considered, but lemons, lemonade.

I don't view any of this as set in stone. Maybe my mind changes on masks in schools, maybe somebody at some point will give me an argument that persuades me that the danger here necessitates all of these measures while also not being dangerous enough to forego putting kids, teachers, and support staff together in a building all day.
    Please keep us posted

State education officials seek feedback from Ohio parents on reopening schools
    May 15 2020

https://www.cleveland.com/education/...g-schools.html

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    State education officials seek feedback from Ohio parents on reopening schools
    May 15 2020

https://www.cleveland.com/education/...g-schools.html
    I can tell you what the parents will say: get them back in school in the Fall

Ohio Parent Teacher Association survey on schools re-opening plans draws ‘huge’ interest
    Updated May 18, 8:48 PM; Posted May 18, 6:44 PM

https://www.cleveland.com/education/...ing-plans.html

Turn Off Ads?