Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For the Cincinnati Reds, 1981 was a hallmark – in two ways

Re: For the Cincinnati Reds, 1981 was a hallmark – in two ways

Andy Kosovo couldn't hold a candle to Bernie Herzegovina.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Likes:

Big Klu (05-23-2020),M2 (05-23-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

yes but he was better than troy albania and bruce bosnia

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Andy Kosovo couldn't hold a candle to Bernie Herzegovina.
    Yea. Kosovo was a distant relative of Andy Kosco, he was brought in as a favor to play on the Cincinnati Stingers. Russian muscle for the WHA. Now Bernie was part of Austria-Hungary royalty and a great goal scorer for the Czech national team.

Kosco don’t call me Kosovo, who while a great power bat in 1973 had a bad back end his career at the end of 1974. His continued spot on the roster had me as perplexed as Carrying Miguel Cairo and Wilson Valdez in 2012. You could have done better by the time July rolled around when you realized this combo was not good enough to carry in the bench.
    Bob and Sparky day on their hands just like Walt and Dusty did.

I like Phil Gaglianos second year with the reds I think 2 for 31 reminiscent of the epic Dallas Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    I like Phil Gaglianos second year with the reds I think 2 for 31 reminiscent of the epic Dallas Williams
    Yes but that OBP had Bill James ready to pontificate on his value.

THE reds liked collecting infielders from the cards ed crosby, kelly paris, neil fiala, julian javier

It has always bothered me that the Dodgers were named "first half champions" because they had played one more game than the Reds, which they won. They had only a ½-game lead over the Reds in the NL West. Both clubs had exactly the same number of losses.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

10. Likes:

Chip R (05-28-2020),cumberlandreds (05-27-2020)

It was thoroughly unfair especially because the loss column was equal

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    If they had just won 1 freaking game against the Cards in the first half. I don’t know how well they would have played in 2nd half knowing they win the 1st. The Dodgers were coasting most of the 2nd half. They didn’t look good. The Expos really put up some big games against the Reds in that 2nd half. 1 hit by Ray Burris and losing 12-0. In my dreams Of a just baseball world they face the Cardinals who had the 2nd best record on the NL. A lot of times the teams that met in the NLCS from 1970-80 more often the team that beat the other more ended up losing. Like in 1972. 73 and 79.

They play the Brewers in the WS instead of the Yankees. The Brewers had the best record in the East and as much as an As and Reds rematch was I was looking forward to a Midwest series. The Reds won in 7 and next year they don’t go all Florida Marlins on their roster. The Brewers beat the Cardinals in 82 to get their ring and St Louis has to wait even longer to win a WS. Except they don’t win in 2O06 in 2011 either in my just baseball world.
    I was at a game in late May that the Reds were leading 6-0 after about 3 innings when the rains came and washed it away. If the rain had held off another hour they would have won the west.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I was at a game in late May that the Reds were leading 6-0 after about 3 innings when the rains came and washed it away. If the rain had held off another hour they would have won the west.
    Was Frank Pastore pitching in that game? As a kid, I have this memory of listening to a game on the radio where Frank Pastore hit a home run, but the game was rained out and therefore didn't count. I don't remember what year it was (or if it really happened -- maybe my mind is playing tricks on me).

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Was Frank Pastore pitching in that game? As a kid, I have this memory of listening to a game on the radio where Frank Pastore hit a home run, but the game was rained out and therefore didn't count. I don't remember what year it was (or if it really happened -- maybe my mind is playing tricks on me).
    I went back into Retrosheet and looked. They have no record on rained out games. But it must have been rained out on May 26th. No Reds game that day which was a Tuesday. That was the 2nd game of a 4 game series withe Giants. Pastore pitched Monday,Soto on Wednesday and Price on Thursday. So it may have been Seaver who pitched that rained out game. If they had played through 5 then that would have put the Reds and Dodgers in a flat foot tie. I wonder what MLB would have done then? A one game playoff to start the 2nd half?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I went back into Retrosheet and looked. They have no record on rained out games. But it must have been rained out on May 26th. No Reds game that day which was a Tuesday. That was the 2nd game of a 4 game series withe Giants. Pastore pitched Monday,Soto on Wednesday and Price on Thursday. So it may have been Seaver who pitched that rained out game. If they had played through 5 then that would have put the Reds and Dodgers in a flat foot tie. I wonder what MLB would have done then? A one game playoff to start the 2nd half?
    I found the game I was looking for on Retrosheet:
    https://www.retrosheet.org/losthr.htm#

4/19/1981: Pitcher Frank Pastore of the Reds homered in the bottom of the third inning off the Cardinals' Silvio Martinez. There was no one on base and one out. The game was rained out.

I don't know if this game was made up before the strike, but if it wasn't then it could have cost the Reds a postseason appearance.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 05-27-2020 at 04:38 PM.

According to Retrosheet, George Foster hit a three run HR in the first inning of the game against the Giants on May 26.

5/26/1981: In a game against the Giants, George Foster of the Reds hit a home run off Tom Griffin in the first inning with two men on and no one out. The game was rained out.

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    According to Retrosheet, George Foster hit a three run HR in the first inning of the game against the Giants on May 26.

5/26/1981: In a game against the Giants, George Foster of the Reds hit a home run off Tom Griffin in the first inning with two men on and no one out. The game was rained out.
    Where is that on Retrosheet?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Where is that on Retrosheet?
    Go to "Features", and select "Noteworthy Events". #2 on the list is "Lost Home Runs".

20. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-27-2020)

Turn Off Ads?