Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: When will the MLB season begin? - Nightengale

  1. #1
    Member North's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Reading is fundamental.
    Posts
    514

    When will the MLB season begin? - Nightengale

    When will the MLB season begin? Here's the latest on the owners-players proposals to return
    BOBBY NIGHTENGALE | CINCINNATI ENQUIRER
    1:41 p.m. EDT May 19, 2020

    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ls/5213404002/

  2. Likes:

    goreds2 (05-20-2020),REDREAD (06-01-2020)


  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,875

    Re: When will the MLB season begin? - Nightengale

    I've been critical of the owners for not mentioning the possibility of restarting with no fans but something has come up which has caused me to adjust that thinking. Apparently the players were warned that if no fans were allowed to attend games that they'd not get to receive their full salaries. This is counter to the spin we've heard from the players. It was all spelled out in an e-mail to the players.

    The league and the union have disagreed over how players will be paid if games are resumed. The union claims that within the agreement finalized on March 26, players are guaranteed their prorated salaries for games played, while MLB argues that the agreement says salaries must be reconsidered if there are no fans in attendance.
    But here's where it gets interesting:

    The Post, however, has obtained a March 26 email from an MLB lawyer to top league officials that documents the substance of talks between two MLB officials and two MLBPA officials from earlier that morning. The email covers seven points, including that MLB explained to the union officials that MLB would need a second negotiation if games were not played in front of fans to determine pay and claims that union officials understood that concept.
    So let's recap. The owners and players had an agreement on cancelling the season and on how to reopen unless no fans would be allowed. Under those conditions, there was NO agreement. None. The players saying otherwise are either misinformed or disingenuous. Under these conditions, a new agreement would have to be negotiated and that's ecatly what the owners are now trying to do.

    This is a smoking gun. Forget the rhetoric. Hey players: are you willing to negotiate a pay cut or not? Whatever you decide, own it.

    https://nypost.com/2020/05/19/mlb-th...-with-players/

  5. #3
    Member plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    37

    Re: When will the MLB season begin? - Nightengale

    IMO there should not be a 2020 season and lets focus on starting 2021 on time.

  6. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    970

    Re: When will the MLB season begin? - Nightengale

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    IMO there should not be a 2020 season and lets focus on starting 2021 on time.
    imo, you are wrong.

  7. Likes:

    Edd Roush (05-26-2020),marcshoe (05-25-2020),mbgrayson (05-30-2020),Phoenix2 (05-29-2020)

  8. #5
    Member NebraskaRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4,033

    Re: When will the MLB season begin? - Nightengale

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    IMO there should not be a 2020 season and lets focus on starting 2021 on time.
    Seems like "should" is off the table. At this point it's all about can they, not should they.

  9. #6
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    49,714

    Re: When will the MLB season begin? - Nightengale

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    IMO there should not be a 2020 season and lets focus on starting 2021 on time.
    Oh they will play, count on it

  10. #7
    Member North's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Reading is fundamental.
    Posts
    514

    Re: When will the MLB season begin? - Nightengale

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Oh they will play, count on it
    They may, but adding my 2 cents, the Asian live BB game I watched sans fans was beyond blah. I turned it off after a few innings and IIRC somebody here voiced the same sentiment.

  11. #8
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    49,714

    Re: When will the MLB season begin? - Nightengale

    Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    They may, but adding my 2 cents, the Asian live BB game I watched sans fans was beyond blah. I turned it off after a few innings and IIRC somebody here voiced the same sentiment.
    I've watched numerous games, quality isn't as good as MLB. But they are quite fun and better than gazing at my navel or watching another game from 1998

  12. Likes:

    919191 (05-27-2020),Bourgeois Zee (05-26-2020),Edd Roush (05-26-2020)

  13. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,875

    Re: When will the MLB season begin? - Nightengale

    Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    They may, but adding my 2 cents, the Asian live BB game I watched sans fans was beyond blah. I turned it off after a few innings and IIRC somebody here voiced the same sentiment.
    Are the Korean players getting their full salary? I haven't been able to get that answer anywhere

  14. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    970

    Re: When will the MLB season begin? - Nightengale

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Are the Korean players getting their full salary? I haven't been able to get that answer anywhere
    yes, they are. but they are also playing their full 144-game schedule.

  15. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,875

    Re: When will the MLB season begin? - Nightengale

    Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    yes, they are. but they are also playing their full 144-game schedule.
    Thanks for that info. I find that surprising. Even with a full schedule the owners are missing out on a lot of money with no fans in the stands. I'm surprised that they're absorbing that entire burden themselves

  16. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    203

    Re: When will the MLB season begin? - Nightengale

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Thanks for that info. I find that surprising. Even with a full schedule the owners are missing out on a lot of money with no fans in the stands. I'm surprised that they're absorbing that entire burden themselves
    That is surprising. Owners must be taking a bath. They are getting some $$$ from ESPN but not going to be enough.

  17. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    12,834

    Re: When will the MLB season begin? - Nightengale

    Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    They may, but adding my 2 cents, the Asian live BB game I watched sans fans was beyond blah. I turned it off after a few innings and IIRC somebody here voiced the same sentiment.
    The game itself was likely blah, with or without fans.

    And a MLB game without fans is better than no MLB game.

  18. #14
    Member SidneySlicker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    831

    Re: When will the MLB season begin? - Nightengale

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    That is surprising. Owners must be taking a bath. They are getting some $$$ from ESPN but not going to be enough.
    I'm sure they're "taking a bath", but the majority of each team's revenue comes from revenue sharing and their regional broadcast rights ie Fox Sports Ohio/Cincinnati for the Reds. I'm no lawyer, but if the no fans in the stands happens this year and/or beyond, I would think the teams would investigate trying to recapture some of that lost revenue by renegotiating their regional deals as I would assume that ratings are going to increase which means commercial sales and tv revenue would increase for the networks with the broadcast rights. Also, I'd fully expect them to sell commercial signage that will show in the stands where fans would be sitting. Just some speculation on my part.
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 05-29-2020 at 09:03 AM.

  19. #15
    Member North's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Reading is fundamental.
    Posts
    514

    Re: When will the MLB season begin? - Nightengale

    Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    I'm sure they're "taking a bath", but the majority of each team's revenue comes from revenue sharing and their regional broadcast rights ie Fox Sports Ohio/Cincinnati for the Reds. I'm no lawyer, but if the no fans in the stands happens this year and/or beyond, I would think the teams would investigate trying to recapture some of that lost revenue by renegotiating their regional deals as I would assume that ratings are going to increase which means commercial sales and tv revenue would increase for the networks with the broadcast rights. Also, I'd fully expect them to sell commercial signage that will show in the stands where fans would be sitting. Just some speculation on my part.
    Perhaps, but to me, the Asian baseball without a crowd was sterile. I watched parts of two games then gave up.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator