Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Votto: 2020 WS Winner Would Deserve Full Credit

Re: Votto: 2020 WS Winner Would Deserve Full Credit

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I agree. It’s a little like taking all the marathoners and having them run a mile. The marathoner who wins this event has accomplished something.

The normal baseball season is like a triathlon anyway. There’s the running of the season, the swimming of the playoffs, and the bicycle sprint of the final series.
    That runner has accomplished something, but he didn’t win or even compete a marathon. That victory shouldn’t be compared to other marathon wins.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I don’t care about asterisks. This isn’t a matter of cheating. Whoever wins is the champion. It’s the game they agreed to play. Exogenous factors don’t change it.
    I'd give karma points for using "Exogenous"

4. Likes:

Falls City Beer (05-24-2020)

The majority of world series champions didn't play 162 games, including the 1919 and 40 Reds title teams, better take down those banners.
    Go Gators!

6. Likes:

BoxingRed (05-24-2020),Falls City Beer (05-24-2020),Redsfaithful (05-24-2020),Roy Tucker (05-25-2020)

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    That runner has accomplished something, but he didn’t win or even compete a marathon. That victory shouldn’t be compared to other marathon wins.
    I get that, but in my mind it’s more like a wild card team winning the World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The majority of world series champions didn't play 162 games, including the 1919 and 40 Reds title teams, better take down those banners.
    Good point. How about a team needs to play for at least six months and play every team in their league. Baseball has always stood out from the rest of the pro leagues because the regular season is so long and so important.

i think the Reds should win it. and then let everyone who i don't care about argue whether it counts the same. while we still celebrate.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    i think the Reds should win it. and then let everyone who i don't care about argue whether it counts the same. while we still celebrate.
    Legitimacy is defiantly in the eye of the beholder, and there will be debate over the legitimacy of this season forever. However, 99% of MLb championships don’t have this debate. It’s bad luck for MLB that this season comes right after we’ve learned that there’s a debate over the MLB championship of two years ago.

I get that, but in my mind it’s more like a wild card team winning the World Series.
    An 80 game season is fine this year under the circumstances, but wild card teams winning championships in any sport is an abomination. It's one of the reasons I usually lose interest once the regular season is over. Unless the Reds are playing, the play-offs drone on way too long.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

texasdave (05-24-2020)

The only thing that weakens the legitimacy of a championship is cheating or something that involves the protest of the participants (so if the owners continued the game without the assent of current players/replacing with scabs).

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    An 80 game season is fine this year under the circumstances, but wild card teams winning championships in any sport is an abomination. It's one of the reasons I usually lose interest once the regular season is over. Unless the Reds are playing, the play-offs drone on way too long.
    Yes, I tend to be structural about these things. You win your division then prove you’re the best in your league. Then go against the best in the other league to determine the best of all. There were flaws in this, if the two likely best teams were in the same league, or even in the same division. It didn’t seem fair. But still, you’ve already shown you’re not the best of all, so why are you still in the tourney?

In recent years, with interleague play and so many games broadcast, we have real a good idea who the best team is before the World Series, but how will it do in the third event of the triathlon?

Yes, I tend to be structural about these things. You win your division then prove you’re the best in your league. Then go against the best in the other league to determine the best of all. There were flaws in this, if the two likely best teams were in the same league, or even in the same division. It didn’t seem fair. But still, you’ve already shown you’re not the best of all, so why are you still in the tourney?

In recent years, with interleague play and so many games broadcast, we have real a good idea who the best team is before the World Series, but how will it do in the third event of the triathlon?
    I don't think it's flawed. If you proved to be a better team by winning your division, even if the second best record is in the same Division, the team that won over a full season has already proven better. I hate wild cards in all sports. The one game play or go home which makes winning the division much more desirable is the only thing that makes it tolerable. The best thing about baseball is the long grind. Teams that emerge as division winners have already proven they belong and teams that don't win have already proven they don't belong. Different divisions have different schedules and the records are apples and oranges. Interleague play screws it up and I wish that would go away as well.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The World Series champion usually isn’t the best team in the league anyways because the playoffs are a crapshoot. 2020 would be no different...

17. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-24-2020),Roy Tucker (05-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    The World Series champion usually isn’t the best team in the league anyways because the playoffs are a crapshoot. 2020 would be no different...
    This is true. But it wasn’t always this way. Before the wild card was introduced, the World Series champ was usually the best team, or at least so strong, that there was little controversy. Which just makes mth123’s point stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I agree. I think that sucks.

It's not so much the 80 games that would make it different for me. It's the potential other stuff. I've heard rumors of 40 man teams. Of schedules that could be terribly unbalanced etc...

Those are the things that for me will determine if this is a glorified exhibition or a real season. Like if they're going to do stuff like starting the 10th inning with a man on second after 10 pitchers on the 40 man team pitched the first 9. That is the stuff that would turn the year into an exhibition.
    Last edited by NeilHamburger; 05-24-2020 at 07:15 PM.

21. Likes:

757690 (05-24-2020)

Turn Off Ads?