Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Covid surcharges showing up on bills

Covid surcharges showing up on bills

Shops are reopening after COVID-19, and some are adding a new line to your bill to pay for it

Some businesses are adding COVID surcharges to customer bills to offset the cost of new rules

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cov...tail-1.5580307

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Covid surcharges showing up on bills

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Shops are reopening after COVID-19, and some are adding a new line to your bill to pay for it

Some businesses are adding COVID surcharges to customer bills to offset the cost of new rules

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cov...tail-1.5580307
    Everywhere I go, this sort of thing is creeping up in regard to anything to do with Goods and Services:

LUNCH

1 LG Fry 3.50
    1 BURGER 11.50
    1 COVID 19 CLEANING FEE 75.00
    1 COVID 19 SERVICE FEE 25.00

YOUR TOTAL 115.00
    THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING US
    TOGETHER, ALONE...
    IN THESE TRYING TIMES...
    NOTHING SHADY HERE AT ALL FOLKS...
    BLAH BLAH BLAH, ETC...

If they keep it up, it won't be the pandemic that keeps me away from brick and mortar shop, it'll be horsepoop like this exaggeration that becomes lees of an exaggeration each day.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 05-24-2020 at 10:49 AM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

It's a $2 charge on a $48 meal. Cry me a river. If that's your idea of an excessive cleaning fee then maybe eat out less?
    Last edited by dfs; 05-24-2020 at 04:56 PM.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    It's a $2 charge on a $48 meal. Cry me a river. If that's your idea of an excessive cleaning fee then maybe eat out less?
    2 bucks is fine. But it's creeping higher. At some point, it belongs in the "delivery fee that doesn't even go to delivery drivers" category.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

As long as they have a reasonably conspicuous notice about the charge, I'm okay with it. Just don't hide it in 4 pt font on the menu and surprise me with it on my bill.

It would be smarter to just build the increase in the prices. We get it that costs have gone up, but we never saw some line item like "2% for AC usage since it got hot". Some businesses seem to go out of their way to piss people off.

The only other time I can recall something like this was when I was working in Chicago after 9/11 and energy prices spiked, and hotels added something outrageous like an 11% energy fee(20-30 dollars a night), like I'm going to use 200kw of power per night.
    Last edited by BernieCarbo; 05-25-2020 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    $2 is not fine. If C19 adds to your costs, raise your prices but don't start a new line. I wouldn't go back to a place that does business that way

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    $2 is not fine. If C19 adds to your costs, raise your prices but don't start a new line. I wouldn't go back to a place that does business that way
    It's everywhere. And, as with everything else, it starts with good intentions and is then exploited.

I'm good if they want to make it a separate line item. And if it's just a couple bucks. What I'm not fine with, which is what I am seeing more and more, are these crazy TicketMaster-like surcharges that are clearly put in place, notbecause of COVID-19 safety precautions, but rather a simple cash grab because their business is no longer profitable charging what they currently charge.

Because if they do what you suggest, and just raise their prices... the sticker shock alone will drive them out of business once the "we're free to go out and eat!" shine has worn off.

Turn Off Ads?