Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dayton Flyers Basketball 2020-2021

Dayton Flyers Basketball 2020-2021

It's been a slow offseason in Dayton, but they landed a fairly big fish today in USC transfer Elijah Weaver.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...bMSByHi5DqusJ/

He's a 6'6" combo guard and was the No. 45 recruit in the country coming out of high school. Seems to have some offensive limitations, but he fits the Anthony Grant prototype, long and high character.

Still two open scholarships for the upcoming season, followed by four graduating seniors after the 20-21 season. Grant and company have their work cut out for them wrt bringing in talent.

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (05-28-2020),North (05-25-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dayton Flyers Basketball 2020-2021

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    It's been a slow offseason in Dayton, but they landed a fairly big fish today in USC transfer Elijah Weaver.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...bMSByHi5DqusJ/

He's a 6'6" combo guard and was the No. 45 recruit in the country coming out of high school. Seems to have some offensive limitations, but he fits the Anthony Grant prototype, long and high character.

Still two open scholarships for the upcoming season, followed by four graduating seniors after the 20-21 season. Grant and company have their work cut out for them wrt bringing in talent.
    He was a Central Florida kid. Do you know if he is sitting a year or expecting to get a waiver?

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    He was a Central Florida kid. Do you know if he is sitting a year or expecting to get a waiver?
    Sounds like he'll apply, but I get the impression there's not a lot of optimism he'll receive a waiver. Sit one, play two seems to be the consensus, and that makes sense given the senior- and guard-heavy roster next year.

Dayton landed its first recruit of the 2021 class. It's Malachi Smith, Scoochie's younger brother. Looks to have a skillset similar to his brother; seems bright and team-oriented.

The 2021 class will be exceedingly important for the program, looking to replace the core of the recent 29-2 team (aside from Toppin, who will be a lottery pick in October).

As an 83 grad, I was very sorry to see the year end the way it did. Thought we had a chance to win it all as we were much more than just Toppin!
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

8. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-06-2020),BillDoran (09-15-2020),RedTeamGo! (11-06-2020),Revering4Blue (10-28-2020)

Big recruiting weekend for the Flyers. Added the No. 39 and No. 133 players in the country (per 247) in DaRon Holmes Jr. and Kaleb Washington. The duo will join Malachi Smiith (Scoochie's brother) in the 2021 class.

It appears Grant was able to capitalize on Toppin's enormous year. Future looks bright in Montgomery County.

10. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (11-06-2020)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Daron Holmes is officially the highest rated UD recruit ever. Juwan Staten and Chris Wright were the other two, I believe. Just need Rafael Castro now.

Hopefully AG is here for the long haul.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

12. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (11-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Hopefully AG is here for the long haul.
    I feel like that was part of the appeal in hiring Grant; he's in for the long haul. He took a bite at going to a big school (though Alabama basketball is debatable), and it didn't end well.

Pretty biased, but I think UD offers a sweet spot for coaches. You won't get top dollar, but you'll be paid pretty well; the university and community are exceptionally supportive; they play in a winnable conference; and they have a fairly successful history and some tradition. Trying to turn Virginia Tech into a winner in the ACC is rough. Trying to compete regularly in the Big East at Butler is more difficult than most presume. Even going to a high-major with loads of tradition is a real challenge. I think Archie will likely get it going in Bloomington, but that's a tough gig.

If you're not insanely ambitious (and many of these coaches are) or need to be paid like Calipari, you can have a really great experience coaching Dayton. Grant has been around the block and knows this. Being an alumnus obviously sweetens the pot as well. There's no predicting the future, but I think Grant will stick around for the foreseeable future.

14. Likes:

jimbo (11-01-2020),RedTeamGo! (11-06-2020),Revering4Blue (10-28-2020)

Rafael Castro looks like a lock at Providence. Mustapha Amzil is really the only other name I've seen thrown around that we're in on, but now it appears a crap ton of other schools are as well.

Also, I casually bumped into Coach Grant at the grocery today lol.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

16. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (11-06-2020)

A-10 is currently holding its media day. Only one player - Jalen Crutcher on the 1st team - picked as an all-conference selection.

Picked to finish third in the conference, behind Richmond and St. Louis.

Unranked and receiving no votes (unlike Greensboro and Northern Iowa) in the first AP poll of the season.

Not a ton of respect given after the historic season. They lost a lot, but I think the program is now a perennial NCAA tourney team. Toppin and the seniors were incredible last year, but the offensive efficiency numbers were there prior to last year. This team has a lot of talent and experience. I think folks are underestimating them. Assuming COVID doesn't ruin everything, shaping up to be another fun season.

18. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-10-2020),RedTeamGo! (11-10-2020),Revering4Blue (11-10-2020)

Curious, how is Dayton playing in the Crossover Classic when Ohio State claimed they had to pull out because of the state of Ohio's covid restrictions related to South Dakota? Wouldn't Dayton be impacted by the same restrictions?
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Curious, how is Dayton playing in the Crossover Classic when Ohio State claimed they had to pull out because of the state of Ohio's covid restrictions related to South Dakota? Wouldn't Dayton be impacted by the same restrictions?
    Dayton dropped out and was replaced by Utah State: https://wvsportsnow.com/report-dayto...acement-found/
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

21. Likes:

adkindo (11-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    A-10 is currently holding its media day. Only one player - Jalen Crutcher on the 1st team - picked as an all-conference selection.

Picked to finish third in the conference, behind Richmond and St. Louis.

Unranked and receiving no votes (unlike Greensboro and Northern Iowa) in the first AP poll of the season.

Not a ton of respect given after the historic season. They lost a lot, but I think the program is now a perennial NCAA tourney team. Toppin and the seniors were incredible last year, but the offensive efficiency numbers were there prior to last year. This team has a lot of talent and experience. I think folks are underestimating them. Assuming COVID doesn't ruin everything, shaping up to be another fun season.
    I'd put Dayton right there with St. Louis, probably. The A-10 is going to be pretty competitive this year. Again. Duquesne & St. Bonnies I expect to compete.

Pretty excited to see some of these new players, RJ Blakney and Moulaye Sissoko in particular. If Dayton can get a waiver for USC transfer Elijah Weaver, even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    I'd put Dayton right there with St. Louis, probably. The A-10 is going to be pretty competitive this year. Again. Duquesne & St. Bonnies I expect to compete.

Pretty excited to see some of these new players, RJ Blakney and Moulaye Sissoko in particular. If Dayton can get a waiver for USC transfer Elijah Weaver, even better.
    Thought the absence of Ibi Watson on an all-conference team and Chatman from the all-defensive team were slights.

The Billikens will be very tough; just a bear to score on and rugged as hell. Richmond losing Nick Sherod to injury hurts a lot. Still a lot of firepower though. After a rough campaign last year, I think Davidson will bounce back and surprise. Rhode Island is a real wild card. Four immediate-eligibility transfers. I could see them winning the conference or starting a mutiny.

Think you're right on Blakney. Given his experience (and success at a prep school), I think we'll know what we have there relatively early. There hasn't been much noise about Nwokeji, but he's going to get every chance to pop. I think the ceiling for the team will be set by Chase Johnson. If he's healthy all season - and there's really no reason to think he will be - the Flyers could be a force.

Added another big recruiting piece in Mustapha Amzil. From Finland with a Moroccan dad, he's a Euro big, 6'9" and skilled. He showed up in the states this fall and offers started pouring in. Supposedly turned down Indiana, Illinois, Maryland and Marquette, among others.

He'll start classes this winter and be eligible for the post-holiday portion of the season. Though he counts as a 2020 commit now, he caps off a huge 2021 class for Grant and company (20th per 247, 15th per Rivals).

25. Likes:

jimbo (11-18-2020)

Turn Off Ads?