Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds releasing some Minor Leaguers

Reds releasing some Minor Leaguers

There's a lot of crappy things being done by MLB these days. Oakland A's are no longer going to pay minor leaguers yet they are not releasing them so they are "employed" and can't file for unemployment.

So I don't know if this is better or worse but it's still sad................

Mets, Reds and other teams are releasing minor leaguers today. “Literally a war zone out there,” one agent called it.
    @ByRobertMurray
    1st mentioned mets releases

I wonder who we are releasing. I assume it's most guys except the top talent.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 05-28-2020 at 05:25 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds releasing Minor Leaguers

Would be interesting to see for sure. My guess would be they're releasing guys who they had decided had no future and expected to release sometime this year anyway. If there's not going to be a minor league season this year, and these are guys that were essentially warm bodies anyway, then it probably makes sense.

Heyman said Mets are paying guys thru June 30 and now posted this

The Mariners’ recent minor-league cuts were extensive. They released more than 50 players, according to sources. So maybe it was Mariners and not Mets

From Passan:

Across baseball, hundreds of minor league players were cut today and lost their jobs, sources tell ESPN. Hundreds more will be released over the next week. In the end, upward of 1,000 players could see their baseball careers end. The minor leagues have simply been devastated.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (06-08-2020)

That's only about 30 per franchise. I assume every franchise releases 30 or more minor leaguers in a typical year. Obviously, in a typical year guys get the chance to play themselves out of a job, so this is a bit tougher to take, but it doesn't seem like more baseball careers than normal are ending.

8. Likes:

DocRed (06-01-2020)

If each franchise is going to end up dumping two or three teams for good, I'm surprised it's not more honestly.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

Kinsm (05-28-2020),Rolando (05-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    That's only about 30 per franchise. I assume every franchise releases 30 or more minor leaguers in a typical year. Obviously, in a typical year guys get the chance to play themselves out of a job, so this is a bit tougher to take, but it doesn't seem like more baseball careers than normal are ending.
    This is the cold hard truth. Almost none of these guys better getting cut in the next couple weeks had any chance of making the majors. Now do I feel bad for him doctor dreams got ended so abruptly absolutely. But I also feel bad for all the other people across the world that I had their dreams ended so abruptly buy this damn virus
    Crazy Reds Fan

While it sucks...especially for the A's players who's owner is garbage! The Reds and MLB probably needed to contract the minor leagues a little anyways. I assume were cutting the usual chaff anyways but probably cutting another 30/40 guys also to reconfigure the loss of a minor league team. I always wanted the draft to be 20-25 rounds, as most guys 25-40 never make it out of rookie ball. These guys will be out there to acquire later, but honestly they probably need to look towards a career away from baseball now.

Re: Reds releasing some Minor Leaguers

I edited my title so it didn't sound like they were releasing all of them.....

This blows. This is likely the first wave of cuts that is the permanent shrinking of minor leagues.

Not sure about those who think there is too much professional baseball in the country, but I hate this. If you thought there were too many teams, tune out on Greenville and Billings. As someone that grew up in a rural community, I can tell you these teams matter to lots of fans. And that's not to even get into players chasing dreams.

The pandemic is going to allow owners to wrap this in some kind of financial straits BS, but this was in the offing months before.

It's a short-sighted cost-cutting measure for greedy owners. Brilliant idea to shrink the product and decrease exposure while the sport's popularity is tanking.

15. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (05-28-2020),jwdoc77 (05-29-2020),REDREAD (06-08-2020),savafan (05-29-2020),Slyder (06-03-2020),texasdave (05-29-2020),Tom Servo (05-29-2020)

Well better news on the Reds front. Essentially the Reds are releasing on June 1st about the number of guys that would have been cut at the end of spring training. The rest of the players have been guaranteed the $400 weekly pay thru Sept 7th, which would have been the end of the regular minor league season.

17. Likes:

BillDoran (05-29-2020),RED VAN HOT (05-30-2020),Rolando (05-29-2020)

I would expect if baseball is resumed then teams will scramble to revisit the 'discards' who they believe have potential. recognize many were in the early years, low A's and their potential was to be determined.

and the other issue is how will low minor teams be rebuilt for next year. how many men with the dream of MLB will consider resigning up - after being dissed.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaFan View Post
    how many men with the dream of MLB will consider resigning up - after being dissed.
    I'll go with...virtually all of them.

Per Baseball America:

1B Bruce Yari, Cameron Warren, Gavin LaValley, Jorge Sequera
    2B Cash Case.
    3B Caleb Van Blake, Luis Tejada.
    C Edward Guzman, Fraudy Rodriguez, Hunter Oliver, Morgan Lofstrom, Yamil Nieves.
    LHP Andy Cox, Misael Lopez, Ruben Nunez, Tyler Jay.
    OF Cristian Olivo, Emilio Garcia, Jeferson Geraldo, Jose Pineda, Miles Gordon, Randy Ventura.
    RHP Adrian Rodriguez, Allan Beltre, Andres Falcon, Andrew McDonald, Austin Orewiler, Carlos Santos, Daniel Duarte, Dannysmel Tavarez, Dylan Rheault, Israel Lantigua, Jake Paulson, Jeffry Nino, Jordan Johnson, Jose Lopez, Jose Ortega, Maiker Manuel, Many Reyes, Orlando Rodriguez, Raul Hernandez, Reinardo Mota, Walker Weickel, Willy Mendez, Yoel Diaz.
    SS Lenniell Perez, Samuel Colmenarez, Thomas Lora.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (06-08-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Only ones that give me any pause at all (granted, I'm far from an expert on those folks) are Lofstrom, Cox, Olivo, and Ventura.

Gordon saddens me, as he looked like he might be talented enough to make it. But in the end he didn't get past A-ball in six seasons.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?