Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Yeah. I amended. I think its more about keeping the market strong to get reelected. The republicans hold the white house and senate. They don't want to lose control.
    I don't think it's that, either. I don't really know anyone whose main concern with the stock market is how it affects the electoral process.

I just don't think if Clinton was in the White House and Democrats controlled the Senate (and CV-19 played out the same way) that the calls to open up/stay closed would be much different. I think it's more to do with the way different people view the world more than anything to do with electoral politics.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 06-04-2020 at 04:48 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Do you think Republicans have more investment in the stock market than Democrats? I don't think that's it. I think red states have just generally been less affected than blue states due to timing/geography/density.
    Atlanta is one of the more densely populated places in the country. Georgia was one of the first to open up and took a lot of heat for it

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Atlanta is one of the more densely populated places in the country. Georgia was one of the first to open up and took a lot of heat for it
    They got the benefit of timing (were able to see what happened in NYC before it really got to them) and probably geography (weather). And while Georgia is a red state, Atlanta itself is not.

Just two weeks ago I was on Fauci's case for being a germaphobe and changing his mind. I said this:

Fauci has become a germ-a-phobe. He says that schools should not reopen until there's a vaccine. He's also said that we as a society should never go back to shaking hands...ever.

He's over the hill. It happens to all of us. Time to get some younger blood in there.
    https://www.redszone.com/forums/show...=1#post4097962

I also said many times that kids are not the issue. Well what do you know, now Fauci is saying this:

The idea of keeping schools closed in the fall because of safety concerns for children might be "a bit of a reach," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

In a phone interview with CNN Wednesday, Fauci noted that children tend to have milder symptoms or even no symptoms when they are infected with Covid-19.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/us/fa...rus/index.html

Ya think Tony? You just now figuring this out?

6. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (06-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Yep.

I don't think there was much of a political divide early on in Covid 19. When a lot of the "shelter in place" orders were put into place we saw what was happening in Italy. We understood some about the virus, but not what we know now. And to be honest, in a month we will know far more than we know today. Anyway, I think where political divide came into play was when the shelter in place orders drastically impacted the number of cases. You had projections that were inflated and saw the actual cases fall far below that. I think as the "shelter in place" continued, the political divide started to amplify. I think the President stoked those fires, I also think a vocal minority stoked those fires. At the time, most health officials noted they were being overly cautious and if their numbers were way too high, well that was a good thing, it meant less lives were lost.

I think too many people miss the point that over 100K Americans have died from Covid 19. In Ohio its now projected that over 3000 will die. While that isn't the 10,000's that were originally feared, its still a substantial number. I remember talking to my Aunt a few weeks ago. My cousin lives in my neighborhood and on a run I ran into here stopping by. Now I love my Aunt dearly, but our political beliefs are on the opposite side of the spectrum. Basically she said that the shutdown needed to end, its doing too much damage to the economy, and we need to open things back up. Basically her lines were right out of the Fox News playbook and I don't think she is alone in thinking like this. In general I think the boomers have been far worse than many other generations.

I think Ohio handled things the right way, I think they started opening some things up a little too early, but at some point things needed to start opening up. But the idea to minimize the virus because it wasn't as bad as originally feared ignores the 100K Americans who perished.
    Did you ever think your Aunt may have lived through some things that you haven't ?????

And that her views are shaped by her life experience not FOX News.

Or would you be just fine with someone saying your 2 cents is right out of the MSNBC playbook

8. Likes:

mole44 (06-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    Did you ever think your Aunt may have lived through some things that you haven't ?????

And that her views are shaped by her life experience not FOX News.

Or would you be just fine with someone saying your 2 cents is right out of the MSNBC playbook
    Maybe he knows his relations more than you?

10. Likes:

bucksfan2 (06-05-2020),Larkin Fan (06-05-2020)

How have cases in the US been very much the same over the last month yet deaths have gone down? Fiddling with numbers or something different?

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    How have cases in the US been very much the same over the last month yet deaths have gone down? Fiddling with numbers or something different?

States here use different methods, change methodology, etc. I suppose it's like Europe, where Belgium is high, Germany is low. Sometimes it seem like a blind man throwing a dart.

Why the world's highest coronavirus death rate is in Europe's capital of Belgium (their words not mine)

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/e...rope-s-capital

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post

States here use different methods, change methodology, etc. I suppose it's like Europe, where Belgium is high, Germany is low. Sometimes it seem like a blind man throwing a dart.

Why the world's highest coronavirus death rate is in Europe's capital of Belgium (their words not mine)

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/e...rope-s-capital
    Thanks for answering a question about US deaths with a link to Belgium I’m not too sure how that is even close to answering the question?

So the states that are getting more of the cases now have a different way of reporting the deaths than the states that had the cases before?

Thanks for answering a question about US deaths with a link to Belgium I’m not too sure how that is even close to answering the question?

So the states that are getting more of the cases now have a different way of reporting the deaths than the states that had the cases before?
    Well. I really don't pay that much attention to the counts. You might want to check further back in this thread...there are folks that fight about them all the time. If you bothered to read the link, you would get a feel for how nations seem to fiddle with the numbers.

Who was sick?

Because it's fake. It's a cold that plus 80% don't even realize they've gotten and 99.8% live through.

More healthy people are getting tested. At first our recorded cases were only people who were sick, because we only had tests for people with symptoms, so a relatively high percentage of those people died. Now we have more tests, and we're seeing more of the asymptomatic cases get counted.

18. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (06-05-2020)

Dr Amy now getting sued by Kings Island. I guess it's the only way to get her attention. We're two weeks past Memorial Day weekend and they still don't have a date or a list of rules. They need time to prepare. This health director is awful. She's likely set a record for lawsuits

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/04/us-c...orial-day.html

Texas and Arizona have had pretty big spikes in their case average and also have had upticks in positive test %, hospitalizations and deaths since mid May. Florida is going the wrong direction in the last week, but hasn't had the spikes of the other two.

Turn Off Ads?