Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 67 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    All of this over something as simple and easy and unobtrusive to do as wearing a damn facemask.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My experience is that most restaurant workers are wearing one but certainly not all of them. I think cooperation will wane in the summer. Frankly it's awfully hard to wear a mask for 8 hrs straight in the summer weather
    How will we know to be fearful of other people?

I’ve been going to restaurants for last week and a half or so, it really doesn’t make sense to wear a mask as a customer once you’ve ordered and everything. I did wear one today at Senate until I was seated but that’s about it. The whole staff had them on though.
    If they have set the seating up as the guidelines say, it should not be necessary to wear a mask while at your table, but you should wear one when not seated at the table. Offices should be the same way. The workstation should be far enough away from each other that a mask isn't necessary at your desk, but when away from the desk, wear the mask.

I'm not sure it's always possible to set things up with distancing in every workplace, (especially in something like a Manufacturing plant), but I don't think even the biggest pro mask person thinks some one should wear them for long stretches like that. Inside where you can't control spacing and outside in congested areas like a NY crosswalk or something.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If they have set the seating up as the guidelines say, it should not be necessary to wear a mask while at your table, but you should wear one when not seated at the table. Offices should be the same way. The workstation should be far enough away from each other that a mask isn't necessary at your desk, but when away from the desk, wear the mask.

I'm not sure it's always possible to set things up with distancing in every workplace, (especially in something like a Manufacturing plant), but I don't think even the biggest pro mask person thinks some one should wear them for long stretches like that. Inside where you can't control spacing and outside in congested areas like a NY crosswalk or something.
    In both of the manufacturing plants I’ve worked at during the last three weeks, you have to wear a mask the entire time while you are on company property. The only exceptions are if you are eating in the cafeteria, or if you have an office with a door. It doesn’t matter if you’re 50 feet away from the next coworker. In fact, if you are within talking distance of another employee, you also have to wear a face shield or safety glasses with side shields. It isn’t too bad on the people in cubicles, but if you are working in a 100° factory, after a few hours it’s pretty brutal. I mentioned in another post that my blood pressure went up noticeably after a day of that, and I’m a very healthy guy. I really feel for the guys that are a little heavy, because they’re really huffing and puffing.

6. Likes:

mth123 (06-08-2020),Sea Ray (06-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You are missing something. I don't know why 'cause I've made it very clear but I'll go over it again.

Simply put I am NOT appealing to their authority. I've stated over and over again that I don't know who to believe. Have you missed me stating that? You are attempting to make it about me. I've got nothing to do with this.

It's a fact that the WHO says that the public wearing of a mask is not supported by scientific evidence. So if you disagree with that then take it up with them. Not me.

Earlier I posted an article that listed a dozen studies that found little to no benefit of the public wearing a mask. It was criticized here on these pages because it was tested with viruses other than C19 for obvious reasons, that being that such studies take time and C19 has only been around for 6 mos.

At that point I asked why C19 would behave differently and would be less likely to penetrate a mask than other viruses. I've gotten no response to that question.
    Do you know the process that a study or paper has to go through in order to be considered direct scientific evidence? From the study, to the research, to the peer review, that takes time.

The WHO saying that we don't have direct scientific evidence is truthful because there hasn't been time to validate a scientific study into C19 and masks.

The virus has been around for six to eight months, and we are expecting people to know everything about the virus.

More good news:

Good news: A new study finds that the novel coronavirus has become less lethal over the past few months. While there’s no evidence that mutations are making the virus less deadly, treatments have improved enormously as scientists have learned more.

Doctors have observed that the coronavirus case-fatality rate seems to have decreased considerably since the early days of the pandemic. But a pre-publication study from Italian universities and local public-health authorities comparing the case-fatality rates in two provinces (Ferrara and Pescara) during March and April is the first to show this might be true.

After adjusting for age and comorbidities, the study found the overall death rate declined by some 40% from March to April with huge reductions in those over age 80 (from 36.3% to 16.1%), and subjects with hypertension (23% to 12.1%), diabetes (30.3% to 8.4%), cardiovascular disease (31.5% to 12.1%), COPD (29.7% to 11.4%) and renal disease (32.3% to 11.5%).

The study’s findings need to be confirmed by more studies of fatality rates over time in other places. But the researchers note that the decline in death rates is unlikely to be due to less crowded hospitals since infection rates were low in the two provinces and never exceeded the intensive care unit capacity. Hospital utilization could confound results in other hot spots.

They say their study confirms anecdotes from expert physicians that “the early administration of more tailored medications, is considerably improving the clinical course of COVID-19.” Doctors are using a cocktail of targeted therapies including repurposed HIV antivirals, anticoagulants and monoclonal antibodies like tocilizumab that lower inflammatory cytokine attacks on organs.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronav...ws-11591399491

I will include this caveat that Sunday reporting on C19 tends to be low due to the weekend and all but it's still good news that reported deaths yesterday were the lowest since March 26 at 453. Only 4.4% of tests came back positive

https://covidtracking.com/data/us-daily

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Do you know the process that a study or paper has to go through in order to be considered direct scientific evidence? From the study, to the research, to the peer review, that takes time.

The WHO saying that we don't have direct scientific evidence is truthful because there hasn't been time to validate a scientific study into C19 and masks.

The virus has been around for six to eight months, and we are expecting people to know everything about the virus.
    OK. You seem like a good one to ask this question 'cause nobody's touched it yet. You are correct that we can't expect peer reviewed double blind studies to come out in a few months. But we do have a great deal of research on how masks perform on other viruses such as flu and viruses similar to C19. So here's my question:

Why would C19 be any more susceptible to the protection of masks than those other viruses? Why would masks block C19 but not flu? I'd expect if anything, that masks would be less effective against C19 given that it appears that C19 is more contagious. So once again, tell me why C19 would be blocked by a mask when other viruses aren't? I earlier posted an article that listed a dozen studies stating that masks are not very effective in preventing virus transmission. Why wouldn't those studies apply to C19 too?

I'll add this...if studies do show that masks are more effective vs C19 than flu, I won't believe the results unless it's accompanied by an explanation of why

To resolve this question, we analysed 14 randomised trials of mask wearing and infection for influenza-like illnesses. (There are no randomised trials involving COVID-19 itself, so the best we can do is look at similar diseases.)

When we combined the results of these trials that studied the effect of masks versus no masks in health-care workers and the general population, they did not show that wearing masks leads to any substantial reduction of influenza-like illness. However, the studies were too small to rule out a minor effect for masks.
    https://www.sciencealert.com/this-is...t-so-confusing

14 studies. No substantial reduction of influenza type illnesses. Why would C19 behave differently?
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 06-08-2020 at 10:07 AM.

WHO says to wear masks in public.

The World Health Organization (WHO) updated its guidance on Friday to recommend that governments ask everyone to wear fabric face masks in public areas where there is a risk of transmission of COVID-19 to help reduce the spread of the pandemic disease.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21L2BW

There are studies that show wearing a mask does help with flu spread. One is above, but there are others.

It seems to be a similar theme where wearing a mask does more to help you from spreading it to others than it does help you from getting it, but if more people wear them the lower the odds are.

The biggest hangup with scientists recommending it, is that things like just staying away from people and washing your hands are still more effective than wearing a mask, so they don't want people wearing masks and not doing the more effective measures. But it doesn't mean that masks don't help.

COVID has the added issue of a large amount of people without symptoms that are probably spreading it, which isn't common with the flu.

Heroic Michigan Barber Wins Appeal to Michigan Supreme Court Against Governor Whitmer’s Shutdown Edicts

The Department of Health and Human Services V Manke decision was ruled in favor of Manke by a 7-0 margin on Friday, although the case is still not settled.

“It is incumbent on the courts to ensure decisions are made according to the rule of law, not hysteria. Here, in addition to entering an order whose validity is highly suspect, the Court of Appeals majority took the extraordinary step of directing the trial court to take immediate action despite the fact that an application for leave had already been filed in our Court,” the ruling stated.
    Wow. 7-0 decision. It wasn't even close. This is a huge setback for this horrible Governor.

Well what do ya know, she's now going to open barber shops. What a coincidence...

On the same day the ruling was announced, Gov. Whitmer said she was lifting the ban on salons and barber shops in her state. Manke has shown how one principled courageous man can defeat the gynocracy.
    https://bigleaguepolitics.com/heroic...utdown-edicts/

More evidence that the shutdown was not lawful

one principled courageous man can defeat the gynocracy
    Gross.

14. Likes:

dabvu2498 (06-08-2020),Larkin Fan (06-08-2020),Wonderful Monds (06-08-2020),WrongVerb (06-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Gross.
    Not as gross as taking away the guy's livelihood

Please keep politics-specific discussion to the Politics/Religion sub-forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

17. Likes:

Boss-Hog (06-08-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Gross.
    I’m not sure how this isn’t breaking some kind of rule on sexism here, but whatever.

I’m not sure how this isn’t breaking some kind of rule on sexism here, but whatever.
    Honestly the term isn't in my vocabulary but it refers to a one woman ruling dictatorship and that's what the Mich shutdowns amounted to. It came solely from one person who is female. She dictated it.

Turn Off Ads?