Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 1002

Thread: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

  1. #31
    TyrannoSuarez Wrecks WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    15,468

    Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    China is asshoe.
    China is a country, not a shoe.
    Gratitude + Forgiveness = Happiness

    216,784 (+932)

  2. Likes:

    Kingspoint (06-02-2020)


  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #32
    Member mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,801

    Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Yes, that's nothing new. I've mentioned that extensively here on RZ and folks still can't accept it
    WHO represents the whole world. They can't really make a recommendation that most of the word siimply can't comply with. Some guy in Sierra Leone or Paraguay or 75% of the other countries in the world simply can't comply with. The CDC represents the US and says differently.

    As far as studies go. take any position on anything and you can find a study that supports it. Perfroming "expert" studies is a big business tat usually starts with the outcome your looking for before it ever starts.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  5. #33
    Member mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,801

    Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    No, we're not supporting the WHO. The point here is that the medical community is not in agreement on this issue. We're getting conflicting signals
    So follow the most cautious path. That would mean wearing a mask.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  6. Likes:

    Kingspoint (06-02-2020),marcshoe (05-31-2020),North (05-31-2020),schmidty622 (06-01-2020)

  7. #34
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    13,497

    Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    No, we're not supporting the WHO. The point here is that the medical community is not in agreement on this issue. We're getting conflicting signals
    And yet you keep referencing the WHO.

    IF the WHO is a Chinese puppet, and the Chinese want to weaken the US, wouldn’t they want the WHO to put out info to dissuade the american public from wearing masks so more Americans get sick?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  8. #35
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,875

    Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Your "conflicting signals" are a ton of doctors and the CDC advising the wearing of masks and the WHO stating "We don't know yet."

    And you're accusing other people of "spinning"? That's weak sauce, even for you.
    "Even for you"...Typical personal attack on your part. The WHO is saying much more than "we don't know yet." That's spin "even for you".

    Here you go:

    If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...w-to-use-masks

    “If you do not have any [respiratory] symptoms such as fever, cough or runny nose, you do not need to wear a mask,” Dr. April Baller, a public health specialist for the WHO
    https://nypost.com/2020/05/28/health...ents-who-says/

    There is currently no evidence that wearing a mask (whether medical or other types) by healthy persons in the wider community setting, including universal community masking, can prevent them from infection with respiratory viruses, including COVID-19.
    These are direct quotes from the WHO. Nowhere does it say "we don't know yet". That is not a quote from the WHO. That is a quote from a Steeler fan in South Dakota.

    You are free to opine that you disagree with the WHO, but don't make up quotes.

    I know you like facts and scientific studies. I've posted some but here's some more:

    We have reviewed the results of more than a dozen randomised trials of face masks and transmission of respiratory illnesses. We found the current best evidence suggests wearing a mask to avoid viral respiratory infections such as COVID-19 offers minimal protection, if any.
    https://www.sciencealert.com/this-is...t-so-confusing

    A dozen studies. Got that? A dozen. It's not just the WHO. I would opine that the wearing of masks by the general public is not supported by science.

    As I said, you're free to disagree and I would encourage further study but as of right now there's a lot of evidence that the wearing of masks offers minimal protection, if any.

  9. #36
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,875

    Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    And yet you keep referencing the WHO.

    IF the WHO is a Chinese puppet, and the Chinese want to weaken the US, wouldn’t they want the WHO to put out info to dissuade the american public from wearing masks so more Americans get sick?
    I'm not getting into tin foil hat conspiracy theories. In fact I'm not even here to say that they're right. I'm just here to report what they're saying.

  10. #37
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,875

    Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So follow the most cautious path. That would mean wearing a mask.
    I'm in Detroit right now. I've worn a mask every time I've gone into a public space. But I don't know that what you've said above is true. It's possible that wearing a mask can be risky if it causes you to touch your face more often.

  11. #38
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,875

    Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    WHO represents the whole world. They can't really make a recommendation that most of the word siimply can't comply with. Some guy in Sierra Leone or Paraguay or 75% of the other countries in the world simply can't comply with. The CDC represents the US and says differently.

    As far as studies go. take any position on anything and you can find a study that supports it. Perfroming "expert" studies is a big business tat usually starts with the outcome your looking for before it ever starts.
    The WHO is saying that they've seen no evidence that it's beneficial for the general public to wear a mask. That's pretty clear

  12. #39
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In Your Head
    Posts
    9,896

    Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    "Even for you"...Typical personal attack on your part. The WHO is saying much more than "we don't know yet." That's spin "even for you".
    Nope. I'm going to ignore your attempt to make the discussion about "you" and will continue to fact check you. Here are the actual words from the WHO Interim Guidance publication regarding community wearing of non-medical masks (which is what we're discussing):

    There is no current evidence to make a recommendation for or against their use in this setting.
    By continuing to not acknowledge the obvious presence of the "...or against their use...", you are, with intent, misrepresenting what the WHO is stating regarding the use of non-medical masks. The WHO is, literally, saying that they do not know whether OR NOT to recommend the use of non-medical mask wearing among community members, but will continue to study it. They...do...not...know.

    The spins are all yours. It's why, regardless of your ability to be persuaded with citations of legitimate reasons to wear masks, you need to be fact checked constantly for the benefit of others.

    No need to respond to the rest of your post. It's already either received a response well before now or is just another attempt at distraction.

    By the way, were you planning on revealing that none of the "dozen studies" you refer to in your final stretch involved COVID-19? Or is that another example of the need for you to be fact checked?

    But hey, at least you got my favorite football team and state of residence correct in your post...for all the good that'll do ya'...
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  13. Likes:

    BuckeyeRed27 (05-31-2020),Kingspoint (06-02-2020)

  14. #40
    Member mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,801

    Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm in Detroit right now. I've worn a mask every time I've gone into a public space. But I don't know that what you've said above is true. It's possible that wearing a mask can be risky if it causes you to touch your face more often.
    OK. I'll revise my recommendation. Wear a mask and don't be stupid and touch your face.

    The mask is not to protect you. If you are wearing it in detroit because its an area with a lot of infections and you think it might protect you, then you are right it doesn't do you any good.

    The reason is to filter some of the droplets you expel through breathing and talking. If it stops any. it reduces the chances of infecting some one else. When you wear your mask. do you feel humidity or dampness, if so then droplet are being contained. I'm pretty certain it doesn't contain all of the. IN a pandemic with a disease that frequently shows no symptoms, its only courteous to wear your mask when you are around other people in public and you can't stay 6 or more feet away. If you are walking around your neighborhood and can easily avoid coming within 6 feet of anyone, you don't need one. If you are in a public place and can't control how close people are to you, you should wear your mask for the sake of everyone else. It's not to protect you. It's to reduce teh spread fo the virus. Not trying is offensive IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  15. Likes:

    Kingspoint (06-02-2020)

  16. #41
    Member mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,801

    Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The WHO is saying that they've seen no evidence that it's beneficial for the general public to wear a mask. That's pretty clear
    It's not clear. There are as many or more studies that say it is beneficial. Not to you in a selfish way, but to society in a try to reduce the spread way. IMO. if you just sift through all these conflicting recommendations and just pick the one you agree with is being selfish and obtuse. There are a lot of people like that. I'm that way in some cases, but this is potentially life or death so if there is an chance at all of it helping, you should wear one.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  17. Likes:

    Kingspoint (06-02-2020)

  18. #42
    Member North's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Reading is fundamental.
    Posts
    514

    Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

    Virus Outbreak: FDA grants conditional nod to remdesivir drug

    https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/fro.../31/2003737342

  19. #43
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,875

    Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Nope. I'm going to ignore your attempt to make the discussion about "you" and will continue to fact check you. Here are the actual words from the WHO Interim Guidance publication regarding community wearing of non-medical masks (which is what we're discussing):



    By continuing to not acknowledge the obvious presence of the "...or against their use...", you are, with intent, misrepresenting what the WHO is stating regarding the use of non-medical masks. The WHO is, literally, saying that they do not know whether OR NOT to recommend the use of non-medical mask wearing among community members, but will continue to study it. They...do...not...know.

    The spins are all yours. It's why, regardless of your ability to be persuaded with citations of legitimate reasons to wear masks, you need to be fact checked constantly for the benefit of others.

    No need to respond to the rest of your post. It's already either received a response well before now or is just another attempt at distraction.

    By the way, were you planning on revealing that none of the "dozen studies" you refer to in your final stretch involved COVID-19? Or is that another example of the need for you to be fact checked?

    But hey, at least you got my favorite football team and state of residence correct in your post...for all the good that'll do ya'...
    You must have missed this:

    We found the current best evidence suggests wearing a mask to avoid viral respiratory infections such as COVID-19 offers minimal protection, if any.
    Steel, your problem is that you paraphrase the WHO whereas I use their exact wording. That's where you get into trouble. This is not what they said:

    The WHO is, literally, saying that they do not know whether OR NOT to recommend...
    They literally said this:
    If you do not have any [respiratory] symptoms such as fever, cough or runny nose, you do not need to wear a mask
    They didn't say that they're undecided. They definitely said "you do not need to wear a mask." There's no ambivalence there that you're trying to insert.

  20. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    4,404

    Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

    Italian doctors claim coronavirus is weakening in Italy. Hope they're right, and that it is doing the same (or will shortly) here.

    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2370OQ

  21. #45
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,201

    Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Italian doctors claim coronavirus is weakening in Italy. Hope they're right, and that it is doing the same (or will shortly) here.

    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2370OQ
    Its my understanding that Italy was about 10 days earlier than the US.

    I am not saying this is all related, but I remember Fauci saying something about SARS that they had a vaccine all ready to go, but the virus just disappeared. Now granted this is different because Sars was far better contained and didn't spread nearly as far and fast as Covid, but its the same family of viruses. The fascinating thing is we are dealing with everything in real time with something we have no clue how its going to react.

    I wonder what would have happened if the virus stated in Europe or the US where there is a free press willing to report on things. There are suggestions that some states are fudging the numbers to make their decisions look positive, but if we had real data from Wuhan and real data about how the reopening is going, we may have a better picture of everything.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator