Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Its my understanding that Italy was about 10 days earlier than the US.

I am not saying this is all related, but I remember Fauci saying something about SARS that they had a vaccine all ready to go, but the virus just disappeared. Now granted this is different because Sars was far better contained and didn't spread nearly as far and fast as Covid, but its the same family of viruses. The fascinating thing is we are dealing with everything in real time with something we have no clue how its going to react.

I wonder what would have happened if the virus stated in Europe or the US where there is a free press willing to report on things. There are suggestions that some states are fudging the numbers to make their decisions look positive, but if we had real data from Wuhan and real data about how the reopening is going, we may have a better picture of everything.
    Gotta love the "real data" as it relates to states.

You wonder about it starting in free press countries and at the same time question the legitimacy of the numbers in those countries. So you lump the numbers that China produces in with the reopening data of free press countries ?????

It is understandable to wonder about what the information stream about the start of the pandemic might look like, but to color reopening data with a similar brush to a state run media country like China is just a bridge to far for me.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Virus Outbreak: FDA grants conditional nod to remdesivir drug

https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/fro.../31/2003737342
    Gilead Falls as Drug Has Only Small Benefit in Large Trial

Gilead Sciences Inc.’s drug remdesivir showed only a limited benefit in a large trial of more moderate patients with Covid-19, a result that may shift perceptions of the therapy already cleared for use in severe cases of the disease.

In the phase 3 trial, a group of moderately ill, hospitalized patients getting the drug for five days showed a modest improvement compared to those getting the standard of care, the company said in a statement. But another group getting the drug for 10 days didn’t show a statistically significant improvement, which is likely to raise questions about why a longer course doesn’t help more. Severely ill patients weren’t included in the trial.
    Remember, the best way to treat covid-19 is to not catch the coronavirus at all.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

4. Likes:

jup (06-01-2020)

So we have these protests/riots that are clearly more life as it used to be as far as people congregating in mass without regards to the virus.

We will either get outbreaks as a result (or not) and if we get outbreaks the states will be pushed to show that they can quell them. If they either don't get outbreaks, or they quell them with "relative ease", then what is the leap from there to fans in the stands for a major outdoor sport like baseball. An actual real time experiment that no one would even consider trying if it wasn't for some external force beyond their control.

The next 14 to 21 days could tell us a lot about the course of the rest of the summer and fall in the states.

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Gilead Falls as Drug Has Only Small Benefit in Large Trial

Remember, the best way to treat covid-19 is to not catch the coronavirus at all.
    And that is clearly the end of the spectrum that needs to get mined at this point.

Find a way to nip it the bud early. To that end, the Yale Epidemiologists paper that went to print a few days back is interesting, given the political football that Hydroxy has become.

http://covexit.com/yale-epidemiology...-for-covid-19/

Professor Risch also discusses the issue of adverse events, which brings him to conclude that:

“the FDA, NIH and cardiology society warnings about cardiac arrhythmia adverse events, while appropriate for theoretical and physiological considerations about use of these medications, are not borne out in mortality in real-world usage of them.”

“It would therefore be incumbent upon all three organizations to reevaluate their positions as soon as possible,” writes Professor Risch.
    Last edited by jup; 06-01-2020 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    So we have these protests/riots that are clearly more life as it used to be as far as people congregating in mass without regards to the virus.

We will either get outbreaks as a result (or not) and if we get outbreaks the states will be pushed to show that they can quell them. If they either don't get outbreaks, or they quell them with "relative ease", then what is the leap from there to fans in the stands for a major outdoor sport like baseball. An actual real time experiment that no one would even consider trying if it wasn't for some external force beyond their control.

The next 14 to 21 days could tell us a lot about the course of the rest of the summer and fall in the states.
    Not to be too political but the next 14-21 days could tell us a lot about the course of the next 50 years of american society.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Not to be too political but the next 14-21 days could tell us a lot about the course of the next 50 years of american society.
    No doubt about that either.

But I am old enough that I lived through the riots of years past, and was actually in some during the Vietnam war era. This country will survive, and still be the best place in the world to live (of large scale countries - excluding island type nations that don't have to be responsible for the world around them) for quite some time to come

10. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-12-2020),Kingspoint (06-02-2020),North (06-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Sometimes it pays to live in the middle of nowhere so that I can observe certain history from afar. That's not to downplay the importance of any of it.

Gotta love the "real data" as it relates to states.

You wonder about it starting in free press countries and at the same time question the legitimacy of the numbers in those countries. So you lump the numbers that China produces in with the reopening data of free press countries ?????

It is understandable to wonder about what the information stream about the start of the pandemic might look like, but to color reopening data with a similar brush to a state run media country like China is just a bridge to far for me.
    I am not comparing what is happening in America to that of China. There have been some concerns that some states are under-reporting data. However, by and large, the data coming out of Europe and the US is accurate. Had the virus started in Europe or America, we probably would have had a better understanding early on of the dangerous of the virus. China was slow to report the virus and downplayed its significance until too late in the process. Free presses don't allow stuff like that to happen.

No doubt about that either.

But I am old enough that I lived through the riots of years past, and was actually in some during the Vietnam war era. This country will survive, and still be the best place in the world to live (of large scale countries - excluding island type nations that don't have to be responsible for the world around them) for quite some time to come
    Wasn’t a global pandemic and depression going on during those riots and with the worst person imaginable leading the country. We are living in unprecedented times.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Really good news:

ROME (Reuters) - The new coronavirus is losing its potency and has become much less lethal, a senior Italian doctor said on Sunday.

"In reality, the virus clinically no longer exists in Italy," said Alberto Zangrillo, the head of the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan in the northern region of Lombardy, which has borne the brunt of Italy's coronavirus contagion.

"The swabs that were performed over the last 10 days showed a viral load in quantitative terms that was absolutely infinitesimal compared to the ones carried out a month or two months ago," he told RAI television.
    https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-l...184358113.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Like I posted over on the baseball side - another interesting data point to put into the whole murky calculation about fans or no fans in the stands this year.

If something like this actually is happening, it will be REALLY HARD for any governmental body to tell their constituencies that they can't go back to life as it was in the "old normal"

Interestingly enough Sea Ray - something Trump himself said at a Corona Virus task force briefing about a month ago - he thought the virus would just go away - will be interesting to see talking heads explode if he turns out to be right.

You must have missed this:
    Nah. I didn't miss anything. You missed that the "12 studies" you referenced weren't actually studying COVID-19 and then tried to spin in into being about COVID-19.

Steel, your problem is that you paraphrase the WHO whereas I use their exact wording. That's where you get into trouble. This is not what they said:
    Once again, here's what the WHO has more recently published about non-medical masks:

https://www.who.int/publications-det...ncov)-outbreak

WHO: The use of masks made of other materials (e.g., cotton fabric), also known as nonmedical masks, in the community setting has not been well evaluated. There is no current evidence to make a recommendation for or against their use in this setting.
    I've given you the actual wording ad nauseam. "They don't know" is an accurate representation of the WHO position on non-medical masks. It's right there in text. If I were running around yelling, "Masks are effective because the WHO hasn't found any evidence that they're not!", now that would be a misrepresentation of their actual position.

Now, if you'll please again direct your attention to the WHO guidance document (linked above), you'll notice a passage that I haven't posted yet (above):

WHO: Wearing a medical mask is one of the prevention measures that can limit the spread of certain respiratory viral diseases, including COVID-19
    As that's particularly damning to your position, why wouldn't I use it, Sea Ray? I mean, it appears that the WHO is telling us in no uncertain terms that wearing masks can limit the spread of COVID-19. Not things "such as COVID-19", but actual COVID-19. Direct quote from the WHO. More recent than the quotes from training videos you keep referencing, too.

They didn't say that they're undecided. They definitely said "you do not need to wear a mask." There's no ambivalence there that you're trying to insert.
    When someone says they don't have enough information to make a recommendation for or against, what exactly do you think that means?

For example, if you asked an attorney whether or not to pursue a lawsuit and he said, "I don't have enough information to make a recommendation for or against." would you then walk out of his office, turn to your wife and yell, "HECK YEAH! He said GO FOR IT!!"? C'mon.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Nah. I didn't miss anything. You missed that the "12 studies" you referenced weren't actually studying COVID-19 and then tried to spin in into being about COVID-19.

Once again, here's what the WHO has more recently published about non-medical masks:

https://www.who.int/publications-det...ncov)-outbreak

I've given you the actual wording ad nauseam. "They don't know" is an accurate representation of the WHO position on non-medical masks. It's right there in text. If I were running around yelling, "Masks are effective because the WHO hasn't found any evidence that they're not!", now that would be a misrepresentation of their actual position.

Now, if you'll please again direct your attention to the WHO guidance document (linked above), you'll notice a passage that I haven't posted yet (above):

As that's particularly damning to your position, why wouldn't I use it, Sea Ray? I mean, it appears that the WHO is telling us in no uncertain terms that wearing masks can limit the spread of COVID-19. Not things "such as COVID-19", but actual COVID-19. Direct quote from the WHO. More recent than the quotes from training videos you keep referencing, too.

When someone says they don't have enough information to make a recommendation for or against, what exactly do you think that means?

For example, if you asked an attorney whether or not to pursue a lawsuit and he said, "I don't have enough information to make a recommendation for or against." would you then walk out of his office, turn to your wife and yell, "HECK YEAH! He said GO FOR IT!!"? C'mon.
    Steel you seem to have lost track of my position here. Let's review:

Steel and others need not spin their (the WHO) words which are clear: the general public need not wear a mask.
    By your own post above, you acknowledge that:

There is no current evidence to make a recommendation for or against their use in this setting
    There you go. The WHO is not recommending that one wear a mask. You are correct that they're not saying to "not wear a mask" but so what? That irrelevant to anything I've stated. You seem to think that's a big point. If it means a lot to you, fine. I stated it right here. You got it, but it doesn't change my point :

"If you do not have any [respiratory] symptoms such as fever, cough or runny nose, you do not need to wear a mask"

There you go. The WHO is not recommending that one wear a mask. You are correct that they're not saying to "not wear a mask" but so what? That irrelevant to anything I've stated. You seem to think that's a big point. If it means a lot to you, fine. I stated it right here. You got it, but it doesn't change my point :
    Nah. Your point has been moot for quite some time. Here's the most recent Q&A on mask wearing from the WHO regarding non-medical masks (April 26th):

What are non-medical masks and what is their use?

Non-medical masks are often homemade of breathable fabrics and can be commercially available as well. There are numerous designs for fabric masks, but they generally cover the nose and mouth, are secured with ties or elastic loops, include multiple layers of fabric, and can sometimes be washed and re-used.

The evidence about the benefits of these masks is limited. One good quality study showed that the risk of respiratory infection is increased (and not reduced) in health care workers using cotton cloth masks when compared to medical masks. Cloth masks are currently being recommended by some countries as a means of source control in the general population. Although their protective effectiveness to the wearer is unknown, they may protect others if the wearer is a pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic carrier.
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...d-19-and-masks

You've been holding on to a quote from a training video produced in March (or possibly prior) while I've been citing early to late April WHO official guidance documents and Q&A's. If you can't digest their most recent guidance and determine that it's likely helpful to wear a mask in public settings, I don't know more to tell you.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Nah. Your point has been moot for quite some time. Here's the most recent Q&A on mask wearing from the WHO regarding non-medical masks (April 26th):

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...d-19-and-masks

You've been holding on to a quote from a training video produced in March (or possibly prior) while I've been citing early to late April WHO official guidance documents and Q&A's. If you can't digest their most recent guidance and determine that it's likely helpful to wear a mask in public settings, I don't know more to tell you.
    What you've told us here doesn't changed a thing. The WHO maintains that there's no evidence to support wearing a mask, just as they said in late March/early April. Your posting a comment that they "may protect others" is not contrary to what they said earlier. That changes nothing. Key word here is "may".

So tell me, what does this new information change?

Does it change this?

There is no current evidence to make a recommendation for or against their use in this setting
    Or this?

"If you do not have any [respiratory] symptoms such as fever, cough or runny nose, you do not need to wear a mask"

Turn Off Ads?