Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

I can see why the WHO is hesitant to actually recommend masks for the general public. Study after study says that they're not effective. I'm getting tired of posting 'em

Now, new findings, published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, suggest that neither surgical nor cloth masks are at all effective in stopping the spread of SARS-CoV-2.
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...-mask-surfaces

2. Turn Off Ads?

Governor Brian P. Kemp
    @GovKemp
    ·
    May 31
    Georgia continues to see encouraging #COVID19 hospitalization numbers, with 853 reported today. We began this month with 1,500 confirmed coronavirus patients in our hospitals.
    https://twitter.com/govkemp?lang=en

Hospitalizations down nearly 50% after they opened up. Good move Gov Kemp. Kudos to you for standing up to all the naysayers in the media

Monday coronavirus positivity: lowest numbers for deaths, 469, & new cases, 16,191, since March 26th. Also lowest test positive % on record at 4%.

https://covidtracking.com/data/us-daily

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I can see why the WHO is hesitant to actually recommend masks for the general public. Study after study says that they're not effective. I'm getting tired of posting 'em

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...-mask-surfaces
    Yeah, one of the studies that article relies on is the same one you posted in the last COVID-19 thread. I just got done discussing that "study" (really a minor experiment rather than a true study) with two tenured Mathematics professors I just happen to have on speed dial.

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-1342

We got a good chuckle out of it, especially after seeing that the article had been retracted at the request of the editors due to one of the methodological issues we'd already identified:

You might want to consider doing a better job of vetting your sources by taking a little more time to review the "studies" on which they rely.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Yeah, one of the studies that article relies on is the same one you posted in the last COVID-19 thread. I just got done discussing that "study" (really a minor experiment rather than a true study) with two tenured Mathematics professors I just happen to have on speed dial.

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-1342

We got a good chuckle out of it, especially after seeing that the article had been retracted at the request of the editors due to one of the methodological issues we'd already identified:

You might want to consider doing a better job of vetting your sources by taking a little more time to review the "studies" on which they rely.
    Thanks for the update Steel. I see the date of retraction was today, June 2nd. I really don't see why you're copping such an attitude here. I always welcome updates in the pursuit of facts, but you can't exactly blame me personally for a retraction that occurred on June 2nd when I posted it on June 1st.

This article was published at Annals.org on 2 June 2020.
    So, I notice you still have yet to publish any studies that show that masks are effective against C19

Kudos to Steel for knowing that article would be retracted before it happened.

8. Likes:

Sea Ray (06-02-2020)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/02/o...gtype=Homepage

Of the 349 local cases we identified — the remaining 689 cases were imported from other territories — 196 were linked to just six superspreading events. One person alone appears to have infected 73 individuals after frequenting several bars in late March. Weddings, temples, hot-pot dinners, work parties and karaoke venues featured in the other clusters.

In our study, just 20 percent of cases, all of them involving social gatherings, accounted for an astonishing 80 percent of transmissions.

Interesting study on these "super spreaders".

Luckily we haven't had any potential superspreader events in a long t...oh.

There’s no point in debating this anymore. Quarantine is over. Those who want to stay home: please do. Walk around a city right now and realize nobody is doing social distancing anymore. I see no reason we are not completely opening up today. We already are we just can’t do some things like to go a ball game or gym.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

My gym is open. Went to 5 ballgames in the last 7 days.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    There’s no point in debating this anymore. Quarantine is over. Those who want to stay home: please do. Walk around a city right now and realize nobody is doing social distancing anymore. I see no reason we are not completely opening up today. We already are we just can’t do some things like to go a ball game or gym.
    That was more or less the point of that article I just posted. We don't really need to be locked down. Just need to have some reasonable distancing precautions, try and avoid larger gatherings and ideally have good tracing in place.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Kudos to Steel for knowing that article would be retracted before it happened.
    The study was four patients. A lot of people were picking it apart.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    That was more or less the point of that article I just posted. We don't really need to be locked down. Just need to have some reasonable distancing precautions, try and avoid larger gatherings and ideally have good tracing in place.
    I walked in to Buckeye Beer Engine in Lakewood for pickup Saturday and it was like a packed college bar.

For those who don’t know what this place is: it’s a neighborhood burger and beer joint a lot of families go to. I am not exaggerating how crowded it was.

MLB and NBA should be starting tomorrow.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I walked in to Buckeye Beer Engine in Lakewood for pickup Saturday and it was like a packed college bar.

For those who don’t know what this place is: it’s a neighborhood burger and beer joint a lot of families go to. I am not exaggerating how crowded it was.

We won’t know what the effect of all of this will be for weeks.
    Last edited by 757690; 06-02-2020 at 12:36 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I get it. I got takeout from Barrio in Lakewood the other day and it seemed like a fairly normal day, it was packed.

But there is still probably a limit on how many people it could spread to in a restaurant compared to a basketball game or even a wedding/funeral or a night club where people are moving around and much closer to each other.

Turn Off Ads?