Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    Didn't want to throw up the chart again for Kal's browsers sake , so I replied here instead.

But on the testing, that is just the way it has been all along. First ventilators and PPE were the outcry, then the testing. All just got dropped and forgotten about as the resources were made available (with no credit given obviously).

Funny thing with that testing, not everyone even cares to get tested. I have never been tested and haven't even thought about it. Unexposed to my knowledge and non-symptomatic, so why?

I don't go get tested for strep throat unless my body tells me something is going on with my throat. And that is what the "everyone needs to be tested" crowd never figured out. Most Americans don't want to waste the time or money to get tested unless they think there is a reason. So many testing stations stay idle (for a bulk of the time) until it is clear there is no longer a reason to spend the money to have so many around. Not enough testing and then testing station sitting idle (and no credit given obviously). Got to love the American psyche.
    Seeing as 96% are coming back negative, I think we're testing too much right now. Seems very inefficient

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Not sure what would be worse. Being bald or getting Covid. Time to go wash my thick, luxurious hair again.
    I had that thought too. I would only start messing with my hormones as a last resort

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Seeing as 96% are coming back negative, I think we're testing too much right now. Seems very inefficient
    Absolutely not. You test the people who need to be tested. You then contract test people who have had association with known positive tests. Identifying asymptomatic people (a lot of athletes returning) will help prevent the further spread of the virus.

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Absolutely not. You test the people who need to be tested. You then contract test people who have had association with known positive tests. Identifying asymptomatic people (a lot of athletes returning) will help prevent the further spread of the virus.
    I get all that but it sure seems like it's inefficient

Funny how the folks complaining about a lack of testing earlier aren't praising America now. A while back I mentioned that we were leading the world in testing and I was met with "not per capita!" Well here's the latest:

Attachment 16192
    It’s late June and we are just now getting to the level that would have been helpful in March and April. That’s why.

7. Likes:

757690 (06-23-2020),Kingspoint (06-23-2020),Revering4Blue (06-24-2020)

I get all that but it sure seems like it's inefficient
    I would argue that health care workers unable to get tests is inefficient.

If you want to get a test, you should be able to get a test. My wife orders a lot of Flu tests throughout the year, is that inefficient?

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-23-2020),Revering4Blue (06-24-2020)

I was talking to a guy yesterday that drives a bus for an assisted living center, and understandably the virus is a hot topic at places like this. But, he said the National Guard has really done a great job in taking over. They put in a system of testing anybody that can have contact with the patients, and they breeze right through all the staff, and then start doing the patients. He has been tested several times already, and anyone can get a test that feels like they may have gotten too close to strangers or for any other reason.

Also, the test they are giving is different from what some places are doing. He said at the beginning, there was some kind of swab that went very deep into your nasal cavity almost past your eyes, and that freaked a lot of people out. He was actually afraid he was going to pass out before he was tested, but he said the test that the National Guard is giving just involves taking a swab and putting it in your nostrils and rotating it for about 10 seconds, and that was it. I think if people could get that test, and it doesn’t cost them a 100 bucks, they‘d jump on it.

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It’s late June and we are just now getting to the level that would have been helpful in March and April. That’s why.
    Logistically speaking that just plain wasn't possible in March/April. These things take time

Here's a very interesting article on the numbers we're being fed. A big point to take out of it is that the CDC is including antibody tests as new Covid infections. That means that those aren't new infections at all. They could have been infections from 4 months ago

https://medium.com/analyticaper/covi...s-3a08e42ee36f

I know RZ loves numbers. I'd be interested to hear comments.

We discussed natural immunity to this at length here on RZ when this first came out. We've been told that no one has any natural immunity to C19. I opined that maybe some people do since we were getting so many asymptomatic cases. Well the article I just posted agrees with me:

Immunity: For the ~30M americans who already had Covid19, we don’t yet know how effective or how long the antibodies will last. But based on other Coronaviruses, it’s reasonable to assume it’s protective for 6 to 34 months. We also don’t know what % of our population has a strong enough innate immune system to prevent infection in the first place. But up to 60% of the population may already have some level of cross-reactive protection at a cellular level due to contact with previous coronaviruses. So it is possible up to 70% of the U.S. has varying levels of resistance.

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-24-2020)

Logistically speaking that just plain wasn't possible in March/April. These things take time
    Oh it was possible. We just didn’t make it happen.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-23-2020)

Nvm, I see now
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 06-23-2020 at 02:37 PM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

That's news to me but...reported deaths went down again yesterday. Just 284 in the entire country
    It wasn't supposed to be news to you. You don't work for the government.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Djokovic's tournament carried on with the attitude of normality. People hugging, hanging around kids, without any protocols put in place. One person tested positive and they had to shut the tournament down. Later it was released that everyone involved has tested positive.

It shows that the protocols work. Ignorance and a lack of social responsibility spreads this disease. There are no other reasons. Arguing about it at this point is both.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It wasn't supposed to be news to you. You don't work for the government.
    I do help pay their salaries. I'd like to know how hard they're working

KP, do you know anything about this?

Lincoln County, Oregon, has exempted non-white people from a new order requiring that face coverings be worn in public — to prevent racial profiling.

Health officials announced last week residents must wear face coverings in public settings where they may come within six feet of another individual who is not from the same household.

But people of color do not have to follow the new rule if they have “heightened concerns about racial profiling and harassment” over wearing the masks, officials said.

“No person shall intimidate or harass people who do not comply,” health officials said.
    https://nypost.com/2020/06/23/oregon...-white-people/

Turn Off Ads?