Turn Off Ads?
Page 65 of 67 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667 LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

I know I got the business for it yesterday, but I am not quitting.

Texas still looking like they have turned the corner

Name:  Screenshot (7).jpg
Views: 134
Size:  28.1 KB
    Last edited by jup; 07-07-2020 at 11:38 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    It's also really rare for someone to have lasting side-effects (morbidities) from the flu. OTOH, those suffering from Covid-19 could wind up with health issues that affect them for the rest of their lives.
    That’s also true of like severe pneumonia and other severe viral infections, there’s no evidence that covid infections leave more long term health effects than those at the moment.

The source I use to stay updated on this stuff, the r/COVID19 subreddit over on Reddit, I think almost every single case of ground glass opacities in lungs has cleared up within 2 months, last I read about that.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Personally, I think we should support these idiots' rights to protest just as strongly as we support the right of people to protest post-George Floyd.
    Funny. I suspect that if we, instead of acting as inconvenienced agitators upset becuase we couldn't get haircuts, had buckled down and done the hard job (which we're going to have to do eventually anyway) of shutting down and quarantining for a month, that we'd have nearly killed off the virus right now AND George Floyd would most likely still be alive.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    That’s also true of like severe pneumonia and other severe viral infections, there’s no evidence that covid infections leave more long term health effects than those at the moment.
    Very miniscual effects for viruses that affect a tiny population of people who get severe viral pneumonia.

The source I use to stay updated on this stuff, the r/COVID19 subreddit over on Reddit, I think almost every single case of ground glass opacities in lungs has cleared up within 2 months, last I read about that.
    Sorry, I don't do Reddit.

As far as side effects, what about clotting issues, kidney issues, liver issues, cognitive function, etc.? I'm sure you've seen the links I've posted in here to actual research. They show lasting effects for up to something like 40% of people hospitalized.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Funny. I suspect that if we, instead of acting as inconvenienced agitators upset becuase we couldn't get haircuts, had buckled down and done the hard job (which we're going to have to do eventually anyway) of shutting down and quarantining for a month, that we'd have nearly killed off the virus right now AND George Floyd would most likely still be alive.
    I don't know where you were, but we buckled down for two months and couldn't get haircuts. Still, the old folks took the brunt because that were locked in together and no one had a plan to protect them.

Not sure what that has to do with Floyd though. A cop killed him, not Covid.

I don't think it would have made a difference for George Floyd (and that cop would have probably just killed someone else if not Floyd), but I'm also not saying we have to think any of it is a good idea. I don't think the ACLU thought it was a good idea to have Nazis march in Skokie, but they fought for their right to do so (which, unfortunately, today's ACLU would not do....but wrong board). Same principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I don't think it would have made a difference for George Floyd (and that cop would have probably just killed someone else if not Floyd), but I'm also not saying we have to think any of it is a good idea. I don't think the ACLU thought it was a good idea to have Nazis march in Skokie, but they fought for their right to do so (which, unfortunately, today's ACLU would not do....but wrong board). Same principle.
    Quarantining at home is not a violation of anyone's rights. OTOH, people who have died so that you can get your haircut or watch your stock portfolio increase a percent or two is, in fact, a violation of those people's rights. Hard to exercise rights when you're dead.

Quarantining at home is not a violation of anyone's rights. OTOH, people who have died so that you can get your haircut or watch your stock portfolio increase a percent or two is, in fact, a violation of those people's rights. Hard to exercise rights when you're dead.
    What do you think of all these other protests going on?

"Forced" quarantine at home probably is, though.

We're obviously never going to agree on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    Perfectly safe. The 50 nerds out protesting for haircuts killed everyone's grandma, though.

Very miniscual effects for viruses that affect a tiny population of people who get severe viral pneumonia.

Sorry, I don't do Reddit.

As far as side effects, what about clotting issues, kidney issues, liver issues, cognitive function, etc.? I'm sure you've seen the links I've posted in here to actual research. They show lasting effects for up to something like 40% of people hospitalized.
    “Lasting effects” that clear up within 2 months for 99+% of cases. That’s what I was referring to. The number of people ending up with longterm effects from covid is also very minuscule.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    I can justify them in my own mind, but they're likely contributing to the spread of the virus.

Then again, as jup and others have pointed out, there seems to be a correlation between indoor activity and virus spread. So outdoor protests like the ones we've seen against systemic racism are probably much safer than a bunch of ammosexuals invading indoor spaces like Michigan's Capitol building or a major political party holding an indoor convention.
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 07-07-2020 at 12:12 PM.

14. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (07-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    “Lasting effects” that clear up within 2 months for 99+% of cases. That’s what I was referring to. The number of people ending up with longterm effects from covid is also very minuscule.
    I think you're getting bad information. This article from yesterday summarizes pretty well what I've been saying.

Think a 'mild' case of Covid-19 doesn’t sound so bad? Think again

Throughout the pandemic, a notion has persevered that people who have “mild” cases of Covid-19 and do not require an ICU stay or the use of a ventilator are spared from serious health repercussions. Just last week, Mike Pence, the US vice-president, claimed it’s “a good thing” that nearly half of the new Covid-19 cases surging in 16 states are young Americans, who are at less risk of becoming severely ill than their older counterparts. This kind of rhetoric would lead you to believe that the ordeal of “mildly infected” patients ends within two weeks of becoming ill, at which point they recover and everything goes back to normal.

While that may be the case for some people who get Covid-19, emerging medical research as well as anecdotal evidence from recovery support groups suggest that many survivors of “mild” Covid-19 are not so lucky. They experience lasting side-effects, and doctors are still trying to understand the ramifications.

Some of these side effects can be fatal. According to Dr Christopher Kellner, a professor of neurosurgery at Mount Sinai hospital in New York, “mild” cases of Covid-19 in which the patient was not hospitalized for the virus have been linked to blood clotting and severe strokes in people as young as 30. In May, Kellner told Healthline that Mount Sinai had implemented a plan to give anticoagulant drugs to people with Covid-19 to prevent the strokes they were seeing in “younger patients with no or mild symptoms”.

Doctors now know that Covid-19 not only affects the lungs and blood, but kidneys, liver and brain – the last potentially resulting in chronic fatigue and depression, among other symptoms. Although the virus is not yet old enough for long-term effects on those organs to be well understood, they may manifest regardless of whether a patient ever required hospitalization, hindering their recovery process.

Another troubling phenomenon now coming into focus is that of “long-haul” Covid-19 sufferers – people whose experience of the illness has lasted months. For a Dutch report published earlier this month (an excerpt is translated here) researchers surveyed 1,622 Covid-19 patients with an average age of 53, who reported a number of enduring symptoms, including intense fatigue (88%) persistent shortness of breath (75%) and chest pressure (45%). Ninety-one per cent of the patients weren’t hospitalized, suggesting they suffered these side-effects despite their cases of Covid-19 qualifying as “mild”. While 85% of the surveyed patients considered themselves generally healthy before having Covid-19, only 6% still did so one month or more after getting the virus.

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    I know I got the business for it yesterday, but I am not quitting.

Texas still looking like they have turned the corner
    Gov. Greg Abbott orders Texas bars to close again and restaurants to reduce to 50% occupancy as coronavirus spread

June 26, 2020 Updated: 6 PM

Gov. Greg Abbott on Friday took his most drastic action yet to respond to the post-reopening coronavirus surge in Texas, shutting bars back down and scaling back restaurant capacity to 50%.

He also shut down river-rafting trips, which have been blamed for a swift rise in cases in Hays County, and banned outdoor gatherings of over 100 people unless local officials approve.
    Turning the corner about a week and a half after shutting down or heavily restricting most indoor spaces? Gee, imagine that.

I think you're getting bad information. This article from yesterday summarizes pretty well what I've been saying.

Think a 'mild' case of Covid-19 doesn’t sound so bad? Think again
    I’m not getting bad information, I’m reading the actual research papers on this stuff rather than the media who has basically no scientific literacy and frequently reports bad information either out of ignorance or sensationalism.

That article in particular is light on actual figures and just uses vague signifiers like “many patients” without indicating how many that actually is, and relies on self reporting.

It also describes people having symptoms of post-viral fatigue, which again is also side effect of having pneumonia or the flu and generally clears up within 6 weeks for most cases. The fact that these people are reported as being “mild” cases doesn’t tell me much, because for most of the pandemic, anyone who hasn’t ended up hospitalized has been categorized as mild. You can still be quite seriously ill and still registered as a mild case by those standards.
    Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 07-07-2020 at 12:24 PM.

18. Likes:

Falls City Beer (07-08-2020),Rojo (07-08-2020)

Turn Off Ads?