Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I did not delete anything. I did not copy this from Nate Silver. I got this from a friend. I actually noted that Memorial Day likely played a role in the numbers, because that seemed logical. If my friend did delete part of it, that is wrong, I agree. I will take that up with them.

My apologies for the unintentional incomplete data.
    You didn’t do anything wrong. You made note of the exact thing he is mad about. He should apologize to you.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    You didn’t do anything wrong. You made note of the exact thing he is mad about. He should apologize to you.
    Ha! It was uncited/plagiarized. I’m not mad and I accept the explanation given. But what was posted was a plagiarized tweet that had been edited. (Plagiarized in the sense that it was posted without citation - again the explanation given is totally cool).

But for me to apologize for pointing that out? Again, ha!

Again, no hard feelings to 75, but the way that was copied/chopped/posted was totally wrong. It was an oversight though.

4. Likes:

757690 (06-02-2020),Sea Ray (06-03-2020)

I’ll add that I religiously look for Nate’s COVID tweet at around 6pm and I had already seen the one posted from today. So yes, it struck a nerve seeing it bastardized (no offense 75) as it was. Nate has been doing a nice even-handed job on this. Just so you know where I’m coming from.

6. Likes:

757690 (06-02-2020),Sea Ray (06-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I’ll add that I religiously look for Nate’s COVID tweet at around 6pm and I had already seen the one posted from today. So yes, it struck a nerve seeing it bastardized (no offense 75) as it was. Nate has been doing a nice even-handed job on this. Just so you know where I’m coming from.
    I also follow it and knew where he posted it from. You jumped all over him saying he edited information or whatever specifically about the Holiday, which he mentioned. You seemed much more upset that he was misrepresenting something that he wasn’t than not sourcing the data.

And actually looking at his original post it is sourced from CovidTracking which I believe is where Nate gets his data that he posts daily. So it wasn’t even unsourced.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRed27; 06-02-2020 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I also follow it and knew where he posted it from. You jumped all over him saying he edited information or whatever specifically about the Holiday, which he mentioned. You seemed much more upset that he was misrepresenting something that he wasn’t than not sourcing the data.

And actually looking at his original post it is sourced from CovidTracking which I believe is where Nate gets his data that he posts daily. So it wasn’t even unsourced.
    Nate Silver uses the data from Covid Tracking to source his tweet.

You are wrong, I'm sorry. Nate cites the CovidTracking data and then formats his own tweet. The copy/paste job 757690 did was given to him from a friend who obviously copied Nate's tweet, and deleted parts of it.

Again, sorry my friend, but that's what happened.

9. Likes:

Sea Ray (06-03-2020)

US numbers via
    @COVID19Tracking
    :

Newly reported deaths
    Today⁠—1,172
    Yesterday—469
    1 week ago (5/26)⁠—629
    5/19⁠*—1,430

Newly reported cases
    T⁠—22K
    Y⁠—16K
    5/26⁠⁠—16K
    5/19—21K

Newly reported tests
    T—401K
    Y—404K
    5/26—302K
    5/19—397K

Positive test %
    T—5%
    Y—4%
    5/26—5%
    5/19—5%

US numbers via @COVID19Tracking:

Newly reported deaths
    Today⁠—1,172
    Yesterday—469
    1 week ago (5/26)⁠—629

Newly reported cases
    T⁠—22K
    Y⁠—16K
    5/26⁠⁠—16K

Newly reported tests
    T—401K
    Y—404K
    5/26—302K

Positive test %
    T—5%
    Y—4%
    5/26—5%
    Top one is the Nate Silver tweet. The bottom is from 75's post.

It's hysterical that you see nothing wrong with the plagarism here BuckeyeRed. It's plain as day that what 75 posted was an edited Nate Silver tweet. That's all forgiven and forgetten.

What's funny is that you seem to be ok with it.

11. Likes:

Sea Ray (06-03-2020)

People are dying, people's economic viability is bring crushed, hurt feelings about sources. What doesn't fit?

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    People are dying, people's economic viability is bring crushed, hurt feelings about sources. What doesn't fit?

Plagarism is not cool my man.

And again, I said a time ago I'm not mad. Certainly no hurt feelings. But the thought that chopping up Nate's tweet like that was ok....

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

Plagarism is not cool my man.

And again, I said a time ago I'm not mad. Certainly no hurt feelings. But the thought that chopping up Nate's tweet like that was ok....
    I 100% agree that cutting out key parts was a bad move by my friend. But plagiarism? We aren’t presenting dissertations here. We aren’t a news media site. Stats and facts are presented on this site constantly without proper citation. I think I did at least two other times today, lol.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I 100% agree that cutting out key parts was a bad move by my friend. But plagiarism? We aren’t presenting dissertations here. We aren’t a news media site. Stats and facts are presented on this site constantly without proper citation. I think I did at least two other times today, lol.
    It was a copy/paste job of someone else’s work. Call it what you like.

We all can be loose with uncited stuff I’m sure but this was textbook copy/paste. If you think plagiarism is harsh, that’s fine. I think the term is accurate but to each their own.

If Nate Silver wants to file a complaint, I’ll gladly give up my friend, who sent it to me in an email, lol.

18. Likes:

North (06-03-2020)

If Nate Silver wants to file a complaint, I’ll gladly give up my friend, who sent it to me in an email, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Yeah this is not the first time I have seen him do this. He is consistently posting photos from years ago making them seem that it is done during the protests, which is done to fan the flames and fit his argument.

21. Likes:

BernieCarbo (06-03-2020),Sea Ray (06-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    Yeah this is not the first time I have seen him do this. He is consistently posting photos from years ago making them seem that it is done during the protests, which is done to fan the flames and fit his argument.
    Okay, this is incorrect.

I posted a link to video once, very recently that was in my twitter feed, (posted the entire link so it wasn’t “plagiarism”) and was told that it was from awhile ago. I Immediately apologized and corrected my mistake. The link I provided didn’t mention it wasn’t recent, so I had no idea.

I have not done this multiple times. And definitely not intentionally.

You are wrong about this. Please, either provide multiple examples of this, or admit you are making a false accusation.

Turn Off Ads?