Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 67 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    750-15000 is a huge range and even at that they missed it. By definition, that makes it worthless
    The day to day numbers have some variability, particularly after weekends and even more so after a holiday weekend. We are still averaging around 1000.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    The day to day numbers have some variability, particularly after weekends and even more so after a holiday weekend. We are still averaging around 1000.
    I mean, I hope people don’t just believe that substantially less people just happen to die on weekends. Cause that’s what the day-to-day data shows. 7 day rolling average is best for me. (As soon as Nate Silver publishes his daily report, one of the commenters puts forward a 7-day average chart - very helpful).

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Ohio is kind of floundering at the moment. Terrible handling of nursing homes, and testing is way below what they projected. I listened to the briefing today, and it was less than inspiring. I think DeWine is really irritated at being 44th in testing per capita in the country.
    I'd like to see numbers get better but there are still some holes here that the media is not filling in:

1) Less than 5% of tests are coming back positive. Who is seeking out tests but can't get them? Nursing homes?

2) Why can't these people get tested?

3) Are we really floundering? Our cases have continued to decline (admittedly modestly) since May 1st when we started the reopening. Frankly i would have expected a modest jump instead but that didn't happen. I think a reopening that does not increase cases is a good thing and not floundering

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    That tells me nothing w/o a link. Averaging what? Over what period of time? We've had a total of 36K cases over the past 90 days.

Numbers are hard to come by but this chart says that we're averaging 529 new cases per day over the past 21 days. You made an unlinked claim of 1000 cases per day. Show me where you got that information and please do not say it came from 757690's friend.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/s...dKeyIndicators

I'd like to see numbers get better but there are still some holes here that the media is not filling in:

1) Less than 5% of tests are coming back positive. Who is seeking out tests but can't get them? Nursing homes?

2) Why can't these people get tested?

3) Are we really floundering? Our cases have continued to decline (admittedly modestly) since May 1st when we started the reopening. Frankly i would have expected a modest jump instead but that didn't happen. I think a reopening that does not increase cases is a good thing and not floundering
    I was referring to the effort to get more people tested as floundering, because we’ve been terrible at it and have missed the goals by over 50%. It wasn’t until a week ago that they even got a system going to test all nursing home staff.

I was referring to the effort to get more people tested as floundering, because we’ve been terrible at it and have missed the goals by over 50%. It wasn’t until a week ago that they even got a system going to test all nursing home staff.
    Their handling of nursing homes has been abysmal. That's totally on Amy. As for the rest of us, I don't know. There are plenty of testing sites near me

Their handling of nursing homes has been abysmal. That's totally on Amy. As for the rest of us, I don't know. There are plenty of testing sites near me
    Well, their goal was 22,000 tests per day, and we’re barely above 9000. And I thought to be tested, your first had to be prescreened, and if you weren’t showing symptoms you couldn’t get the test. Maybe there are a few around that test unconditionally, but I haven’t sought one out yet because I thought there was more critical need elsewhere.

That tells me nothing w/o a link. Averaging what? Over what period of time? We've had a total of 36K cases over the past 90 days.

Numbers are hard to come by but this chart says that we're averaging 529 new cases per day over the past 21 days. You made an unlinked claim of 1000 cases per day. Show me where you got that information and please do not say it came from 757690's friend.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/s...dKeyIndicators
    As Kal said, using 7 day averages tends to be the best way to look at it as it smooths out the volatility of the day to day numbers. They do follow a pretty typical trend where Sunday, Monday and Tuesday are lower, it spikes up on Wednesday and Thursday, and Friday and Saturday are usually near the average number for the week.

There's a lot of sources that show it, but here is one. We are on a decline, but still averaging about 1000 deaths a day.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ies-worldwide/

Actually I blame it on Xi for not bring Covid to light earlier and Donald for allowing it to spread in this country without taking it serious.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Actually I blame it on Xi for not bring Covid to light earlier and Donald for allowing it to spread in this country without taking it serious.
    That's true but that doesn't absolve the neglect of nursing homes. We knew months ago that older folks were most vulnerable. Today there still isn't a defined plan to protect them. Amy and DeWine were too busy shutting us all down when they should have concentrated on those most vulnerable

That's true but that doesn't absolve the neglect of nursing homes. We knew months ago that older folks were most vulnerable. Today there still isn't a defined plan to protect them. Amy and DeWine were too busy shutting us all down when they should have concentrated on those most vulnerable
    Isn't it Amy and Mike? Actually I think Amy, Mike and John along with many others came up with the plans, or lack there of, for nursing homes.
    Last edited by bucksfan2; 06-03-2020 at 12:27 PM.

I just discovered something interesting- wearing a mask can have an effect on blood pressure, so if you lean on the high side anyway and are wearing a mask for over an hour or so, you may want to keep an eye on it.

I checked mine this morning, and it was 112/76 with a pulse rate of 69. After an hour in the plant, it was 131/87, and a pulse rate of 85. I was just standing around, although the ambient temperature is in the 90s. As people start going back to work, and if they are in conditions like that, it might be worth monitoring it a little more closely. I looked for studies, and there are a few papers out there on the effect that wearing a mask has on hypertension, so it is a known issue.

I just discovered something interesting- wearing a mask can have an effect on blood pressure, so if you lean on the high side anyway and are wearing a mask for over an hour or so, you may want to keep an eye on it.

I checked mine this morning, and it was 112/76 with a pulse rate of 69. After an hour in the plant, it was 131/87, and a pulse rate of 85. I was just standing around, although the ambient temperature is in the 90s. As people start going back to work, and if they are in conditions like that, it might be worth monitoring it a little more closely. I looked for studies, and there are a few papers out there on the effect that wearing a mask has on hypertension, so it is a known issue.
    Sources for these papers?

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    Sources for these papers?
    If you Google “wearing masks and high blood pressure”, the first hits are to the NCBI and there are several papers there. There will also be other sites with various studies. I’m not a doctor, so I can’t vouch for the sources. But that’s why I was curious, and measured it myself, and there was a noticeable difference. I’m not claiming any definitive proof, and just wanted to mention in general that if somebody has high blood pressure, to keep an eye on it a little more because it could be pushed into the danger threshold if you are starting at a higher level than I was.

16. Likes:

Sea Ray (06-03-2020)

I think this mask kick has gone way too far:

Couples should wear face masks during sex, new study insists

Safe sex during the coronavirus pandemic might soon require protection beyond just the nether regions.

A new study from researchers at Harvard University says that hooking up carries some risk for transmitting COVID-19 from one partner to the other and recommends — among other practices — wearing a face mask while doin’ it.
    https://nypost.com/2020/06/02/couple...mpression=true

I think not:

Attachment 16127

Turn Off Ads?