Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Catcher is Baseball's Most Endangered Position

Catcher is Baseball's Most Endangered Position

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...0jYOrvs16M0wVE

For years I've been wishing for automated ball and strike calls to take over for umpires. I'm not a believer that the charm of a human making a crucial call is better than the certainty of getting it right.

But one unintended consequence might be the devaluation of catchers, no longer needing to frame pitches.

538 took a pretty good look at this.

"Catchers and MLB teams might soon have to get very comfortable with change. Catcher is the one position on the field for which teams have still routinely traded offense for defense: It’s the rare position that has gained in defensive importance this century. But no other position is threatened with having so much defensive value stripped away. An automated strike zone, which MLB has begun to experiment with, would eliminate the value of receiving, and advances in training are already shrinking the gulf in defensive skill at the position.

Yankees catching instructor Tanner Swanson told FiveThirtyEight that an automated zone would completely change the position: “It would be almost a second DH.”
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Catcher is Baseball's Most Endangered Position

Framing is going away. Nobody really runs anymore. Game calling intelligence is on a computer and sent from the bench. As long as we don't gut multiple past balls a game, give me a bat behind the plate.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (06-01-2020)

Reds just signed their catcher of the future:

It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

6. Likes:

Larkin Fan (05-31-2020),North (05-31-2020),Old school 1983 (06-04-2020),Revering4Blue (05-31-2020),texasdave (05-31-2020),traderumor (06-01-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Framing is going away. Nobody really runs anymore. Game calling intelligence is on a computer and sent from the bench. As long as we don't gut multiple past balls a game, give me a bat behind the plate.
    I suspect the stolen base would return if teams started putting noodle arms behind the plate. An assured 80%+ success rate is what's needed to make the stolen base attempt profitable.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

8. Likes:

REDREAD (05-31-2020),traderumor (06-01-2020),westofyou (05-31-2020)

Just bought my 9 year old catcher's gear. Hope everyone else his age has a dad who reads this article!

Attachment 16121

The future of baseball.

No need to worry about signs being stolen.
    No need to worry about umps incorrectly calling balls and strikes.
    No need to worry about collisions at the plate.

But, most importantly, no need for pitchers or catchers or designated hitters. Rosters could be reduced to about half of what they are presently. Think of the money the owners will be saving. Cha-ching!

11. Likes:

North (05-31-2020)

there will always be a spot for the likes of Hank Foiles, Hal Bevan and Jesse Gonder

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    there will always be a spot for the likes of Hank Foiles, Hal Bevan and Jesse Gonder
    Bill Plummer
    Vic Correll
    Don Werner
    Mike O'Berry
    Dave Van Gorder
    Steve Christmas
    Brad Gulden
    Sal Butera
    Terry McGriff
    Glenn Sutko
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

14. Likes:

KeefeCato (06-01-2020)

There’s a lot more to catching than framing pitches. A LOT more. The article grossly understates The value of all of those other dimensions.

16. Likes:

757690 (06-02-2020),Chip R (06-02-2020),REDREAD (05-31-2020),traderumor (06-01-2020),westofyou (05-31-2020)

There will always be room for Dutch Dotterer
    Damon Berryhill
    Sonny Ruberto
    Jerry Zimmerman
    lloyd McClendon

The one year I played catcher in little league was the funniest year I can remember, just a gas to be involved each pitch

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    There’s a lot more to catching than framing pitches. A LOT more. The article grossly understates The value of all of those other dimensions.
    Thank you

19. Likes:

traderumor (06-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The one year I played catcher in little league was the funniest year I can remember, just a gas to be involved each pitch

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you
    That is exactly why I loved pitching and always wanted to catch, but had a coach who only let lefties play pitch, first, and outfield.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    That is exactly why I loved pitching and always wanted to catch, but had a coach who only let lefties play pitch, first, and outfield.
    I'd let a lefty catch, but surely you're not complaining about a coach not letting a lefty play third, short or second. What would be the point of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'd let a lefty catch, but surely you're not complaining about a coach not letting a lefty play third, short or second. What would be the point of that?
    Lefties can play anywhere, never understood the restrictions.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Lefties can play anywhere, never understood the restrictions.
    The physics of it just really doesn't work at third, short and second.

Turn Off Ads?