Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Wes Unseld

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: RIP Wes Unseld

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Phil Chenier was the best of them all (just my opinion...Hayes and Unseld would be ranked ahead of him by most).
    I'm glad that you mentioned Phil Chenier, as he was well on his way to a hall-of-fame career before crippling injuries came into play. In fact, he wasn't really healthy at all during the Bullets' late '70's run. A healthy Chenier very likely extends the window of contention for that Bullets core until '83 or so.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-06-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    This is sad for me. My earliest memory as a Bullets fan is asking my mom and dad to stay up to watch the 1978 NBA Finals. I remember thinking the Sonics were going to win because the two teams took turns winning the first 6 games, and game 7 was Seattle's turn. But nope, the Bullets managed to win it on the road.

Wes was a rebounding machine, an immovable force. I loved those guys: Unseld, Bobby Dandridge (who played at nearby Norfolk State), Elvin Hayes (my favorite), Kevin Grevey, Mitch Kupchak, Greg Ballard, etc.

Sorry to see you go, Big Wes.
    IMHO, that's still one of the best NBA Finals series ever. At the same time, it's also sad to know that several players from both teams are no longer with us:

Sonics - Dennis Johnson, John Johnson and Marvin Webster

Bullets - Greg Ballard and now, Wes Unseld

R.I.P
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-06-2020),Kingspoint (06-06-2020),RichRed (06-07-2020)

That would be Mr. Walton.
    No. Kevin Love.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    No. Kevin Love.
    Now, THAT, is a hot take. I'm not even saying it's wrong, but it is muy caliente.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    No. Kevin Love.
    Where do you think Love learned it? He grew up in Portland and saw all of Walton's highlights. Love is the best since Walton.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I feel it would criminal not to mention Wes Unseld's hair game. I think his hair could box out opponents all by itself.
    It was the first thing I thought of posting when I saw he passed. Was going to do the '74 Topps, but went with the one from the year I first saw him play.

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-06-2020),M2 (06-06-2020),North (06-06-2020),Revering4Blue (06-06-2020)

Where do you think Love learned it? He grew up in Portland and saw all of Walton's highlights. Love is the best since Walton.
    I'm going to guess he picked up more from watching Arvydas Sabonis in his youth.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

Chip R (06-08-2020),Revering4Blue (06-06-2020)

In the late 60s, early 70s Willis Reed vrs Wes Unseld was a great matchup. Two of the best undersized big men ever and they met in the playoffs about every year.

Errrrr... Kevin Love’s middle name is Wesley, named after Mr. Unseld, who was teammates with Kevin’s daddy.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Someone should have told Kevin's dad that Unseld's name was Westley.

It was the first thing I thought of posting when I saw he passed. Was going to do the '74 Topps, but went with the one from the year I first saw him play.

Even on a basketball card, he had that “Try me, I dare you” look. I loved that guy.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Errrrr... Kevin Love’s middle name is Wesley, named after Mr. Unseld, who was teammates with Kevin’s daddy.
    But, if you lived in Portland, Walton's outlet passes were implanted in your mind, not Unseld's.

19. Likes:

Chip R (06-12-2020)

Turn Off Ads?