Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tom Shearn

Re: Tom Shearn

Drew Sutton hit .667 in 2010. He really should've been the Reds leadoff hitter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

excellent pOINT and I think Steve Cooke and Jim Duffalo and Jim Dickson should be in the rotation because they are also undefeated as reds pitchers

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    excellent pOINT and I think Steve Cooke and Jim Duffalo and Jim Dickson should be in the rotation because they are also undefeated as reds pitchers
    Cooke also hit .500 for his career with the Reds. I can't believe they let him get away.

wow we think alike,,

do you think dallas williams 2-36 was given enough at bats to prove or disprove that he was a 5 star player

wow we think alike,,

do you think dallas williams 2-36 was given enough at bats to prove or disprove that he was a 5 star player
    He may have deserved more of a chance if he hit .380 or .390 instead of .357 in his final year of AAA. Then again he committed 7 errors that year, and that's just not sustainable as an outfielder. He allowed only 2 earned runs as a pitcher in his career, so I think he really missed his calling. He struck out over 600 times in the minors, so hitting clearly wasn't for him.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Drew Sutton hit .667 in 2010. He really should've been the Reds leadoff hitter.
    and a grand slam iirc. He could've been the clean up guy
    There are 3 guarantees in life; death, taxes, and the leadoff walk coming around to score.

8. Likes:

camisadelgolf (06-08-2020)

I do remember Shearn having a slow 12-6 curve that broke a lot

yes he reminded me of the great Ray Washburn and Tim Pugh

yes he reminded me of the great Ray Washburn and Tim Pugh
    He reminded me more of a batting tee or pitching machine. But most Reds starters in that time period did

youre right maybe more like the great Chris Bushing or Kip Gross

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Five Reds players have had the initials "T.S.":

Ted Savage
    Tom Seaver
    Tom Shearn
    Tom Sheehan
    Tom Sullivan

One of these is not like the others.
    Not one of them is a T.S. Eliot, not even Tom Terrific.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

thomas starnes

I might be the lone remaining member of the Tom Shearn fan club. I saw him pitch an 11 a.m. game for Louisville in Columbus, and he did great. Was a true AAAA star. Later in the year, so desparate to hang on that he was living in the equipment shed, he got the call to Cinci. I still remember his first game, gave up 3 runs early but kept them at bay after that with his roundhouse curve. People from the forum I read at that time said he would never win another big league game. He won his next start! Was quite the story for little while what with the call to the shed, etc. Then in the off-season they shipped him off to Korea or somewhere like that.

nice story,, remains among the reds unbeaten,, like Tom Carroll

In what I believe was his first start, George Grande was calling the victory and said that the Reds were led by 2 youngsters (Hanigan -26 and Shearn - 29) which I always thought was a shining example of what made Grande a lousy broadcaster.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Turn Off Ads?