Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poor Bill DeWitt

Poor Bill DeWitt

I feel sorry for the principal owner of the BFIB's team. Even though he was able to buy Eva Longoria's dumpy little home last month in the Hollywood hills (see https://www.latimes.com/business/rea...od-hills-villa, he is now claiming that owning a baseball team isn't that profitable.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/cardinals-o...183902823.html

I expect poor Bill to be filling Instacart orders soon to keep his coffers full.

And we wonder why the players are a tad suspicious of the owners?

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-09-2020),Falls City Beer (06-09-2020),Griffey012 (06-09-2020),Tom Servo (06-09-2020),Wonderful Monds (06-09-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Poor Bill DeWitt

It's cool how owners have used COVID as an excuse to gut the sport for good after employing a slow bleed for the last several years.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

BillDoran (06-11-2020),bm1475 (06-09-2020),Chip R (06-10-2020),Crumbley (06-10-2020),Wonderful Monds (06-09-2020)

I had no idea the owner of the Cardinals was so tied to Cincinnati. Interesting.

I don't think his ability to buy fancy homes really says anything meaningful about the profitability of the Cardinals. I'm sure he's got plenty of money to buy fancy homes form non-baseball related sources.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I feel sorry for the principal owner of the BFIB's team. Even though he was able to buy Eva Longoria's dumpy little home last month in the Hollywood hills (see https://www.latimes.com/business/rea...od-hills-villa, he is now claiming that owning a baseball team isn't that profitable.

I expect poor Bill to be filling Instacart orders soon to keep his coffers full.

How long has the DeWitt family been owning baseball teams?

If it gets any worse, he might have to downsize into Evan Longoria’s Hollywood house.

https://www.latimes.com/business/rea...921-story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I had no idea the owner of the Cardinals was so tied to Cincinnati. Interesting.

I don't think his ability to buy fancy homes really says anything meaningful about the profitability of the Cardinals. I'm sure he's got plenty of money to buy fancy homes form non-baseball related sources.
    I think the equity he has in that team in Missouri allows him to buy lots of things, even if he deems it not that profitable, regardless of any other investments he has. And he's the guy who took $$$ rather than have the NHL put a team in Cincy. I loved the Stingers, so that's another strike against him.

9. Likes:

westofyou (06-09-2020)

his father shouldnt have traded frank robinson for dick simpson

Come again?

William Dewitt Sr owned the Reds from 1962-1966, was also their GM. When he sold the team he made a provision that his son would be a minority share holder in the team. William also owned a portion of the Kentucky Colonels in the ABA until they were sold to John Brown. He was the principle owner of the Stingers in the WHA and took a 4 million dollar buy out from the NHL instead of pursuing a franchise in the NHL (even though they were one of the healthier clubs in the league) He is currently worth 4 billion dollars

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    How long has the DeWitt family been owning baseball teams?

If it gets any worse, he might have to downsize into Evan Longoria’s Hollywood house.

https://www.latimes.com/business/rea...921-story.html
    The DeWitts have been in baseball since 1916.

Hardly worth their time I suppose

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-09-2020),redsfanmia (06-09-2020)

of course he also acquired the fireman of the year Jack Baldschun which made the trade quite one sided for the reds, dont you think?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Come again?
    Had to look him up when I saw the thread. Just not someone who's ever come to my attention.

Had to look him up when I saw the thread. Just not someone who's ever come to my attention.
    His father owned the Browns when they signed the one-armed player Pete Gray, he was their GM when Eddie Gaedel got his at bat, Eddie actually wore William Jr's uniform in that game, he had been the bat boy. His father also was the GM of the Tigers who traded managers with the Indians, he was the Reds GM in 61 and the owner who traded Robby.

17. Likes:

M2 (06-12-2020),Old school 1983 (06-14-2020)

I definitely think it's some kind of an ironic twist that it is the owner of the so-called model franchise that comes out and says this. I guess we know what the Cardinal way is now. :-)
    Crazy Reds Fan

This reminds me of a recent, ridiculous HR meeting where they try to explain why employee salaries aren’t competitive even though they just announced $1.3B in profits, massive growth while bragging about keeping headcount the same, increased dividends, a special dividend, and more stock buybacks.

Baseball players aren’t dumb either, much like your intellectual number crunching employees aren’t.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-10-2020),Chip R (06-10-2020),Kinsm (06-09-2020),Ron Madden (06-09-2020),Roy Tucker (06-09-2020)

I think an important clarification here is that the owners have enough money that they could become instantly profitable in almost any industry they choose to wisely invest. They aren't going up against a bank 3 year CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    This reminds me of a recent, ridiculous HR meeting where they try to explain why employee salaries aren’t competitive even though they just announced $1.3B in profits, massive growth while bragging about keeping headcount the same, increased dividends, a special dividend, and more stock buybacks.

Baseball players aren’t dumb either, much like your intellectual number crunching employees aren’t.
    Sounds like you don't understand that a company's sole purpose is to return profits to shareholders. You're probably right that the ridiculous HR meeting could have framed it better for those that do not understand the purpose of a business, but those are completely unrelated metrics. Maybe that same sort of tweak to the delivery of said message would help the owners save a bit of face, but I doubt it. Either way this is billionaires and millionaires fighting over millions.
    Last edited by redsrule2500; 06-11-2020 at 08:56 AM.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Edit:double post
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Turn Off Ads?