Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poor Bill DeWitt

Re: Poor Bill DeWitt

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    The major league minimum is 563000 I don't see how the median could be that low.
    Because there were 1400 players in the bigs last year, and over 50% of them received pro-rated salaries.

2. Turn Off Ads?

dewitt let ken johnson go in the expansion draft of the colt 45's unforgivable ,, as well as the estimable dick gernert

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Simpson was supposed to be the next Vada Pinson, he had won the PCL batting title prior and was fast, he instead was the first Rolando Roomes
    However, Simpson was traded to St. Louis for Alex Johnson, who was traded to Angels for Borbon and McGlothen.
    Pappas was traded for Clay Carroll, Cloninger and Woodward

good work jim, you were a good author and you and bill henry were excellent

That's what I was thinking too. I'm sure if we bring it down not every owner is a billionaire either
    Well if you include the value of the team, it's possible. The Reds are probably one of the less valuable teams in MLB and even they are worth a billion dollars. What I can't speak to are debt loads. It is possible that although an owner owns a billion dollar team, he also has $200mill in debt

According to this site there are 9 major league owners with a net worth under $1B. That's enough so that it'd be improper to say that all owners are billionaires. It's worth noting that our owner here in Cincinnati is the poorest owner of all 30, at $400mill in net worth. I found that interesting

https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/mlb-ow...52d648971e42b7

8. Likes:

Rolando (06-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    According to this site there are 9 major league owners with a net worth under $1B. That's enough so that it'd be improper to say that all owners are billionaires. It's worth noting that our owner here in Cincinnati is the poorest owner of all 30, at $400mill in net worth. I found that interesting

https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/mlb-ow...52d648971e42b7
    Thanks for finding the info to back me up. I I definitely think people need to stop saying billionaires vs. Millionaires because that's not the case with every person in either group
    Crazy Reds Fan

The super rich vs. the moderately wealthy (some of whom are super rich).

11. Likes:

Chip R (06-15-2020)

Thanks for finding the info to back me up. I I definitely think people need to stop saying billionaires vs. Millionaires because that's not the case with every person in either group
    No problem. I'm a fact based guy. I'll also add that I don't even like the concept of net worth. To me one's net worth is what you would have if you flipped everything you have into cash. For example, let's say you own a business that's worth $1B. If you sell it, you'll have far less than $1B left over because you'll have to pay a broker and taxes (cap gain and/or income depending upon how the deal is structured). Plus the fact that you've lost your income source. So for the record, I think these net worth figures are inflated

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    No problem. I'm a fact based guy. I'll also add that I don't even like the concept of net worth. To me one's net worth is what you would have if you flipped everything you have into cash. For example, let's say you own a business that's worth $1B. If you sell it, you'll have far less than $1B left over because you'll have to pay a broker and taxes (cap gain and/or income depending upon how the deal is structured). Plus the fact that you've lost your income source. So for the record, I think these net worth figures are inflated
    Yeah, I hear you. Only $500 million is like living on food stamps.

14. Likes:

Chip R (06-15-2020)

dewitt shouldnt have let cliff cook go the mets in the 1961 expansion draft it was a mega loss

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    Sounds like you don't understand that a company's sole purpose is to return profits to shareholders. You're probably right that the ridiculous HR meeting could have framed it better for those that do not understand the purpose of a business, but those are completely unrelated metrics. Maybe that same sort of tweak to the delivery of said message would help the owners save a bit of face, but I doubt it. Either way this is billionaires and millionaires fighting over millions.
    Oh I’m well aware how that works. My point was that instead of just being forthcoming they attempt to put their HR spin on things and piss everyone off. Much like the MLB has done with their various proposals, which all amount to paying the players the same amount of money, just in different ways.

Regardless of who is involved, it’s the same thing and it is obvious the owners sole purpose is to make as much money as they can, while acting like they don’t. At least companies don’t really hide that fact.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 06-14-2020 at 10:11 AM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

this is about dewitt, he shouldnt have let Sherm Roadblock Jones go to the mets a devastating setback

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    this is about dewitt, he shouldnt have let Sherm Roadblock Jones go to the mets a devastating setback
    What the hell are you talkin about?
    Crazy Reds Fan

look up some history before you complain, learn something besides labor relations

Turn Off Ads?