Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Interesting tidbit from Kyle Boddy on Twitter

Re: Interesting tidbit from Kyle Boddy on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I get your point, and that's a valid option.

Most "6th round guys" believe they are going to make the big leagues.
    Heck, I have a friend that was drafted somewhere in the late 40's rounds, went to college, and got hurt.
    He is still convinced that if he didn't get hurt, he would have been a major leaguer.
    These guys all believe in themselves, otherwise, why apply for the draft and waste years of your life.
    If a guy thought he had no chance of being a MLB player, chances are, he'll want to get on with life.
    I guess there's a few outliers that would want to experience the minor league lifestyle for a year or two and make no money doing it, and I don't blame them.. but the point is.. I assume most of these guys have a chance to be MLB players in their own minds.

So if they have the chance to sign with a MLB team for 20k, or go back to school and probably rack up 20K more in debt, I think a lot will sign now. They believe in themselves. If a lot of kids go back to school, that makes 2021 more crowded and competitive, and they might not even be drafted at all, or be drafted lower.

So I agree, some kids will go back to school, and that's the right decision for them.
    But I think plenty will gladly take the 20k bonus and the opportunity.
    Note, I am not defending what they did with this year's draft.. I think it's all about short term greed. but I think
    the teams will do ok. I also think this is a glimpse into the future of the draft.
    This year's draft was 160 players total.

Last year there were 396 players who had a signing bonus of $100,000 or more.

No player with talent and leverage is signing for 20k. They may as well call it the 5th year senior signing period.

2. Likes:

Kinsm (06-13-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Apparently the signings can't happen till 9 AM Sunday, so we have about 48 hours of lobbying by teams in front of us.
    Actually the lobbying has been going on for several weeks. Many players already had deals worked out (Wink/handshake) with teams for of their choice. Some players were even telling some teams they were going to college but in reality they have already reached deals with teams weeks ago.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

athletic departments are having financial difficulties even the power conferences, smaller colleges and JUCOs are cutting sports and the even bigger issue is college courses primarily on-line becomes an issue on whether going to and living on campus is worth it financially. a part-time scholarship doesn't cover the costs. Personally while I don't feel the anxiety and uncertainty of young men and women trying to figure out the "best" or even an acceptable decision, but I expect $20k and living my dream a little longer will be a gamble many will take.

6. Likes:

Chip R (06-15-2020),jup (06-13-2020),REDREAD (06-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JustaFan View Post
    athletic departments are having financial difficulties even the power conferences, smaller colleges and JUCOs are cutting sports and the even bigger issue is college courses primarily on-line becomes an issue on whether going to and living on campus is worth it financially. a part-time scholarship doesn't cover the costs. Personally while I don't feel the anxiety and uncertainty of young men and women trying to figure out the "best" or even an acceptable decision, but I expect $20k and living my dream a little longer will be a gamble many will take.
    No doubt about it on both fronts.

College is going to look a lot less interesting given the lack of scholarships, programs that are not going to field a team any longer and the roster jam that is going to affect playing time at those that do have programs. If you are not going to play in college, it will be hard to get seen to get drafted. For many their ambition is to give baseball a shot, and many will find the lack of opportunity in the college ranks as a justification for doing what they want to do anyway => turn pro.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (06-15-2020)

And there will be almost twice the numbers of players as normal next year with half the normal rounds. (20)
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

10. Likes:

REDREAD (06-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    This year's draft was 160 players total.

Last year there were 396 players who had a signing bonus of $100,000 or more.

No player with talent and leverage is signing for 20k. They may as well call it the 5th year senior signing period.
    I see your point, but I would counter that close to all the players with talent and leverage were drafted in the top 5 rounds.

I am sure some of these kids, if they are fifth year seniors, their stock will rise.
    But also, there's guys who go back to school and get hurt or have their stock fall.

Starting your professional career a year early has its advantages too. Plus, it avoids paying tuition for another year (Full or partial).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    And there will be almost twice the numbers of players as normal next year with half the normal rounds. (20)
    If that many. Who's to say they won't cut it again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If that many. Who's to say they won't cut it again?
    Players agreed to at least 5 this year and at least 20 next year. There is zero way players agree to cut that. Not in this environment.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Turn Off Ads?