Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds first round pick: Austin Hendrick OF, West Allegheny (PA)

Reds first round pick: Austin Hendrick OF, West Allegheny (PA)

Big HS power bat. Discuss.

mlbpipeline writeup

HIT 50 POWER 60 RUN 55 ARM 55 FIELD 50 OVERALL 55
    See Hendrick, the Pittsburgh-area high school standout, on one day, and a scout might walk away thinking they just saw the best hitter in the 2020 Draft class. See him on another, and that scout might walk away worrying about the prep outfielder's swing. He stood out at the start of Major League Baseball's PDP League and was the only hitter to homer more than once, but he struggled down the stretch there and with Team USA in international competition.

There is no question about Hendrick's raw power and he's tapped into it at times on big stages over the past two summers. He has incredibly quick hands and bat speed, along with leverage and loft, to generate that pop from the left side of the plate, but he tinkered with his setup this past summer and there was some concern with the uptick in swing and miss to his game. A very good athlete, Hendrick runs well enough to play center field, but he might profile best in right field, and has the arm strength to fit there as well.

While there might be some risk in terms of strikeouts with Hendrick, there isn't a high school hitter in the country with more upside. The Mississippi State recruit has the chance to be a middle-of-the-lineup run producer with tons of power and plenty of scouts still believe in him reaching that ceiling.
    Doug's writeup: https://redsminorleagues.com/2020/06...stin-hendrick/
    Last edited by podgejeff_; 06-10-2020 at 08:37 PM.

2. Likes:

DocRed (06-10-2020),Gallen5862 (06-10-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds first round pick: Austin Hendrick OF, West Allegheny (PA)

Good pick. I was hoping one of Meyer or Detmers would fall to 12 as I thought they were the two safest picks with a chance to make it to Reds’ selection. With both of those high floor guys gone, why not swing for the fences on an upside guy? Hendrick certainly has loud tools. Let’s hope he can can squeeze a lot out of them.

5. Likes:

Gallen5862 (06-10-2020)

A lot of pretty positive notes on him from various draft observers.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

7. Likes:

Gallen5862 (06-10-2020)

“You can make the argument that Hendrick is the best power hitter in the draft period, high school or college,” said Jonathan Mayo, senior writer and longtime draft analyst for MLB.com.

“There might be a couple high school hitters who might be better pure hitters,” Mayo said. “But for bat speed, and how quick his hands are, Hendrick is unparalleled in this class. He’s the best I’ve seen in those areas in quite some time.”
    https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202006080096
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-10-2020),Gallen5862 (06-10-2020),membengal (06-10-2020),OGB (06-11-2020),Ron Madden (06-11-2020),wolfboy (06-10-2020)

Solid

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Not a fan of players whose swing and miss has to be explained away. That said, I'll be pulling for the guy to make it big. Best wishes to his success.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

12. Likes:

krm1580 (06-11-2020),NC Reds (06-11-2020),OGB (06-11-2020),RedlegJake (06-11-2020)

Seems like a very Jay Bruce type of pick (including getting picked #12 overall).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

JFLegal (06-10-2020),membengal (06-10-2020),OGB (06-11-2020),Old school 1983 (06-10-2020),RedlegJake (06-11-2020)

Shades of Jay Bruce and Austin Kearns.

Not the guy I wanted most but I’ll definitely take it. Love the high upside HS bats.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Seems like a very Jay Bruce type of pick (including getting picked #12 overall).
    Took the words right out of my mouth
    Go BLUE!!!

Hopefully he’ll be ready to take over RF just as Castellanos’ contract is ending.
    Go BLUE!!!

For those of you who follow this stuff, compare/contrast this pick with 2019 round 2 pick Rece Hinds.

I’m down with this. Hell yeah high upside HS bat at 12. Folks that are questioning this: it’s the 12th pick, the high upside college bats and arms are gone, go with the high upside HS bat.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

21. Likes:

DocRed (06-10-2020)

Highest upside HS bat in a STACKED 2020 draft..disappointed really? Come on man...

BTW was watching MLB network today and he was the #1 power bat OF'er in the entire draft. Elite bat speed.
    Last edited by DocRed; 06-10-2020 at 11:33 PM.

Reds said Hendricks was higher than #12 on their board.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Turn Off Ads?