Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds first round pick: Austin Hendrick OF, West Allegheny (PA)

Re: Reds first round pick: Austin Hendrick OF, West Allegheny (PA)

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    For those of you who follow this stuff, compare/contrast this pick with 2019 round 2 pick Rece Hinds.
    Similar power, but Hinds is worse at everything else.

Hendrick projects to be a decent right fielder with a good arm and good speed and average hitting. His ceiling may be Bryce Harper last year. Average defensively, double digit stolen bases, 260/350/500 statline. Another comp could be Yasiel Puig?

Hinds will probably wind up at 1b with less hitting ability and he's not a good runner at all. Daniel Vogelbach ceiling?
    Last edited by podgejeff_; 06-11-2020 at 12:23 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Similar power, but Hinds is worse at everything else.

Hendrick projects to be a decent right fielder with a good arm and good speed and average hitting. His ceiling may be Bryce Harper last year. Average defensively, double digit stolen bases, 260/350/500 statline. Another comp could be Yasiel Puig?

Hinds will probably wind up at 1b with less hitting ability and he's not a good runner at all. Daniel Vogelbach ceiling?
    I think that’s a little too negative on Hinds. Reports I’ve seen say he could stay at 3B and/or easily play a corner OF spot. After all he has a CANNON for an arm (clocked at 98mph throwing across the diamond) and did play SS at a first rate HS program.

I do think that Hendrick has a much better hit tool though.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-11-2020 at 08:20 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Hendrick has 40 homer power but also 180-200 Ks. That's OK if he can draw walks at an acceptable rate and hit .250-.260. I do worry if a guy has the swing and miss tag, though. It's high risk/high reward all the way.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-12-2020)

The Reds said they believed they had a scouting advantage before the draft, and that Hendrick would have been much higher if people knew what they know.

I'm really hoping the new Reds development and scouting team is paying dividends here.

7. Likes:

malcontent (06-11-2020),nmculbreth (06-14-2020),RedlegJake (06-11-2020),TeamSelig (06-12-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Hendrick has 40 homer power but also 180-200 Ks. That's OK if he can draw walks at an acceptable rate and hit .250-.260. I do worry if a guy has the swing and miss tag, though. It's high risk/high reward all the way.
    I have been going back and forth on the Ks, and I think I have myself convinced that we are less sure that he will be strikeout prone in the bigs than say a guy like Drew Stubbs because he was a kid tinkering with his swing before his high school senior year and not a guy who has strugged through his early 20s with Ks.

I guess we will see when he gets into some competitive games how much of an issue it is.

Right now, I love dreaming on a kid who I have seen compared to Trout and Bellinger.

https://twitter.com/BaseballFactory/...341331457?s=20

Austin Hendrick can hit the ball HARD.

Is there a way to embed tweets on here?
    Last edited by podgejeff_; 06-11-2020 at 01:06 PM.

10. Likes:

TeamSelig (06-12-2020)

**someone** asked Jim Callis a question on Twitter about Hendricks during an impromptu q&a and got an answer:

Some really good looking and smart Reds fan on Twitter:

Is Austin Hendricks more Bryce Harper or more Jay Bruce in your opinion?
    Callis:

Harper was arguably the best power prospect in the history of the @MLBDraft, so I'll say Bruce for Hendricks, who is the best power guy in this HS class. @Reds
    What would you say.....ya do here?

12. Likes:

Rolando (06-11-2020),Spanky (06-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    The Reds said they believed they had a scouting advantage before the draft, and that Hendrick would have been much higher if people knew what they know.

I'm really hoping the new Reds development and scouting team is paying dividends here.
    That’s what has me excited about this pick. It’s easy to take the swing-and-miss in his scouting report as gospel, but I’d say the error bars are pretty big when you’re scouting a Pennsylvania high schooler in a prematurely ended senior season. If the Reds are right and this kid doesn’t have contact issues, they’ve got an elite prospect on their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I have been going back and forth on the Ks, and I think I have myself convinced that we are less sure that he will be strikeout prone in the bigs than say a guy like Drew Stubbs because he was a kid tinkering with his swing before his high school senior year and not a guy who has strugged through his early 20s with Ks.
    This is where I'm at too. I wasn't sure about the pick at the time, but after sitting on it overnight I'm good with it. We do have to remember that the consensus top 10 picks all did actually go in the top 10. I think considering where the Reds drafted it's a fine pick. Really hope he crushes it.

Anyone notice when Ravich was interviewing Boras during the draft on espn2 he was asked how he can tell players are special and he referenced Torkelson and how certain players just separate themselves from others at amateur level and it’s usually a power swing that really shows it, and then said something like “you’ve got Hendrick in this draft as well, like Bryce Harper.”
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (06-12-2020),Tom Servo (06-12-2020)

I definitely think the reds are looking at exit velocity as a key metric in each of their hitting picks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-13-2020),Old school 1983 (06-26-2020)

i'm good with this pick for sure. very high upside high school bat. i was hoping someone would unexpectedly fall to 12, but it didn't happen. reds took the best player on the board. that's what good teams do.

20. Likes:

Benihana (06-13-2020),REDREAD (06-16-2020)

Austin Hendrick is ranked #84 in Baseball America Top 100 prospects. Hunter Greene is #86 and Nick Lodolo is #87.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rank...100-prospects/

2020 Top 100 Prospects

#84 Austin Hendrick
    Reds
    OF
    Notes:
    Final 2019 Ranking: NA
    Tools: Hit: 60 | Power: 70 | Run: 45 | Fielding: 50 | Arm: 60
    2019 Average Exit Velo: NA

Skinny: Quite simply, Hendrick has the potential to be an offensive monster. Scouting directors rated him as the second-best hitter in the 2020 high school class and the best power prospect as well. There are questions about Hendrick’s swing-and-miss and whether the competition he faced as a high schooler in Pennsylvania could have somewhat inflated his offensive output. Hendrick also has excellent arm strength that would play well in right field.
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 06-24-2020 at 05:04 PM.

22. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-24-2020),HokieRed (06-24-2020),REDREAD (06-25-2020)

Signed for $4 million, a bit less than slot. MLBTR.

24. Likes:

Gallen5862 (06-26-2020)

I would love if in 10 years people are saying "Can you believe we passed on Hendrick for (fill in blank_)"?
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

26. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (06-26-2020),Tuff Nut (06-27-2020),WrongVerb (06-26-2020)

Turn Off Ads?