Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds first round pick: Austin Hendrick OF, West Allegheny (PA)

Re: Reds first round pick: Austin Hendrick OF, West Allegheny (PA)

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Austin Hendrick is ranked #84 in Baseball America Top 100 prospects. Hunter Greene is #86 and Nick Lodolo is #87.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rank...100-prospects/

2020 Top 100 Prospects

#84 Austin Hendrick
    Reds
    OF
    Notes:
    Final 2019 Ranking: NA
    Tools: Hit: 60 | Power: 70 | Run: 45 | Fielding: 50 | Arm: 60
    2019 Average Exit Velo: NA

Skinny: Quite simply, Hendrick has the potential to be an offensive monster. Scouting directors rated him as the second-best hitter in the 2020 high school class and the best power prospect as well. There are questions about Hendrick’s swing-and-miss and whether the competition he faced as a high schooler in Pennsylvania could have somewhat inflated his offensive output. Hendrick also has excellent arm strength that would play well in right field.
    Is anyone surprised that he immediately leaps Greene and Lodolo on BA's list? I understand with Greene to some extent because of his injury. Still, not sure I was expecting that. Interesting nonetheless.

2. Likes:

BillDoran (06-26-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I would love if in 10 years people are saying "Can you believe we passed on Hendrick for (fill in blank_)"?
    I hope we see a lot of this guy's name coming up in Reds' headlines over the next decade or so. Attachment 16209
    Shagadelic, Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Is anyone surprised that he immediately leaps Greene and Lodolo on BA's list? I understand with Greene to some extent because of his injury. Still, not sure I was expecting that. Interesting nonetheless.
    It's that new prospect shine. Happens every year.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I hope we see a lot of this guy's name coming up in Reds' headlines over the next decade or so. Attachment 16209
    Shagadelic, Baby!
    "Austin powers out homer in Reds win!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    It's that new prospect shine. Happens every year.
    Doesn’t seem that weird to me. Him and Lodolo seem like comparable draft talents, and it’s not like Lodolo’s proven much yet. Greene’s just a difficult guy to rank at the moment, so I don’t put much stock in that number personally.

Nice free to view write up on BA today.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-an-open-book/

9. Likes:

BillDoran (02-05-2021),marcshoe (02-04-2021),ochoa30 (02-04-2021),RED VAN HOT (02-04-2021),RedTeamGo! (02-04-2021)

MLB.com had a story about 30 prospects who could be stars by 2023. Hendricks was mentioned it that story:

Reds: Austin Hendrick, OF
    Hendrick has perhaps the most raw power of any hitter in the 2020 Draft class, especially from the left side. And he showed off premium bat speed, to go along with strength, both in his brief time at the Reds’ alternate site and even more so at instructs. He showed off plus makeup and work ethic in both spots as well.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

11. Likes:

JaxRed (02-13-2021)

Hendrick has a .488 OBP in A ball now, 12 walks in 43 PA's. Also a .940 OPS although no homers. Not bad plate discipline for a 19 year old.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=hendri001aus
    Last edited by DocRed; 05-20-2021 at 11:10 AM.

13. Likes:

BillDoran (05-20-2021),Moose Herd (05-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Hendrick has a .488 OPS in A ball now, 12 walks in 43 PA's. Also a .940 OPS although no homers. Not bad plate discipline for a 19 year old.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=hendri001aus
    You had me concerned with the .488 OPS, but thank goodness I kept reading. That's pretty good for sure!

Yes, it's crazy early, but when do you start hitting the panic button on Hendrick? I think the concern is certainly heightened being the 12th overall pick.

Yes, it's crazy early, but when do you start hitting the panic button on Hendrick? I think the concern is certainly heightened being the 12th overall pick.
    Age 24 for me.

If he's still a 40% K rate guy, he's probably not going to do much at all.
    If he's a 30% guy, he might end up with a few hundred PAs before calling it a career.
    If he's below that, he might well be pretty good.

Time will tell, but it doesn't look great right now.

That said, his last few weeks give me some hope, as does Will Benson's entire 2022 season. If Benson can do it, why not Hendrick?

17. Likes:

lollipopcurve (02-15-2023)

Cold weather player whose development was stunted by year lost to pandemic. Aggressive mid season promotion to Dayton last year, but he really improved down the stretch. Gotta be patient.
    Last edited by lollipopcurve; 02-15-2023 at 01:03 PM.

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-16-2023),camisadelgolf (02-15-2023),HokieRed (02-15-2023),Old school 1983 (02-16-2023)

I think the panic button has already been hit by many, which isn’t unreasonable. This is his make or break year. If he can’t improve on the strikeouts and OPS over .800 this year, he’s done IMO. I’m cautiously hoping he can make the necessary adjustments though.
    Go BLUE!!!

The one Dragons game I saw last year, he showed why he was a high draft pick. Strong arm in the OF, Pulled one for extra bases, hit one to Left Center for extra bases (I can't recall if either were homers or if both were doubles), seemed to run the bases well, etc..

Hopefully he puts it together this season and can be an asset moving forward.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

22. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (02-16-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I think the panic button has already been hit by many, which isn’t unreasonable. This is his make or break year. If he can’t improve on the strikeouts and OPS over .800 this year, he’s done IMO. I’m cautiously hoping he can make the necessary adjustments though.
    Dodgers’ #10 and #15 prospects OPSed below .800 last year in the Midwest League (where Hendrick will most likely play this year. League OPS was .710. Hendrick will be playing at a younger age than that #10 Dodgers prospect was playing last year. Not sure why the .800 OPS should be trusted as a make or break threshold for Hendrick.

Turn Off Ads?