Turn Off Ads?

Thread: RIP Harry Glickman....The Almighty of Portland Sports

RIP Harry Glickman....The Almighty of Portland Sports

No Harry Glickman, No Portland Trailblazers. Period.

Before the Trailblazers (it used to be one word), there was Portland boxing. He is soley responsible for launching professional boxing in Portland. Boxing was huge in Portland. My Dad was a Golden Gloves State Champion (His Dad knocked him out with one punch the night he came home late acting all cocky after he had won the title.) I grew up with the Sullivan brothers, who lost in the Olympic Trials in Cleveland in '76 to the Spinks Brothers, respectively. In college, I was close friends with Davey Armstrong's brother. My close friend Mike Minsker, who snuck into 45 Blazer games in the early '70's with me when we used to make fun of Marshall Glickman, Harry's son, because he was a spoiled rich kid and acted like it, Mike's younger brother, Andy, was an Olympic boxer and later Coach of the Olympic team. Tommy Sullivan was the National Light Heavyweight Golden Gloves Champion in '75. We had other State Champions, while the Tacoma Boys' Club (where Armstrong and Sugar Ray Seales came from), Knott Street boxing club ( In 1968, Knott Street was the only amateur boxing team in U.S. history to have three National Champions on the same team at the same time...the brothers in Portland would come from there, and Mt. Scott Boxing Club were three National standout training facilities of young men). Everybody boxed in Portland. Just part of growing up. It developed respect for others and a thick skin. Harry Glickman put together Thursday Night fights at the Expo Center. Had many friends who fought there.

But, before (and during) that, there was Hockey, of which Harry Glickman was King. In the days of the 8-team NHL, the Buckaroos were as good as the teams in the NHL. The first team name on the Stanley Cup is the Portland Rose Buds. That team became the Chicago Blackhawks. It was professional hockey as good as you could get. My Aunt was the cowbell lady. I don't know when the cowbells started in other hockey cities, but she was the cowbell lady since early in WWII amd rang that bell for 25 years. The players were friends of my Dad. Don Head (goalie, a great goalie) once lifted our piano with two fingers a few feet off the ground just to show off. Portland was a hockey town (before all of the Californians invaded it and ruined the City, killing boxing, killing hockey, killing the horse races, the dog races and finally baseball. Now it's just soccer and bicycles, and pot-smoking. You can't tell the men from the women.)

Not only did Harry Glickman "produce" major sports entertainment for Portland, but he's personally responsible for hundreds of millions of dollars in charity and billions of dollars in revenue that made its way into the Portland Metro and Oregon Community. His exceptionally high standards for morality and community service resulted in his choice of Geoff Petrie as the Trail Blazers overall number one pick for the franchise. Petrie would take over as G.M. from him, eventually resigning because of Paul Allen's low morality standards, and as a retired advisor, eventually helped guide Allen and the franchise back towards higher morality standards, as evidenced by the choices of Stotts and Lillard to guide this team at this time. The very last game Portland played, Harry Glickman was there, leaving in his wheelchair from the front row just before the game would end during a timeout, always respectful that he wouldn't be a burden to others as he was leaving. Now we have lost Luke, Duck, Kersey and Glickman. We've had to replace due to health Brian Wheeler, the radio voice for 20+ years, who took over admirably for the original voice, Bill Schonely. Schonely is still active daily with the Blazers. Paul Allen had the social unawareness to fire Schonely 25 years ago because he didn't tow the company line
    Paul Allen has continued to do this throughout his Ownership. Well he's gone. Some of his ways won't be missed. Harry Glickman will be.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-11-2020 at 06:18 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RIP Harry Glickman....The Almighty of Portland Sports

https://www.kerryeggers.com/stories/...l-trail-blazer

"Harry was no fan of Paul Allen, largely because of the way he felt the long-time Blazer owner treated people.

“He’s a strange guy,” Glickman said in a story I wrote over lunch at the Multnomah Athletic Club in 2013. “Bucky Buckwalter was named the NBA Executive of the Year. Paul never called him. John Lashway was named PR Director of the Year. Paul never called him. Schonely goes into the Hall of Fame. He has never heard from Paul to this day. He’s just that kind of guy.”

Harry was miffed when the billionaire Allen put the Blazers up for bankruptcy in 2004 and later laid off a large number of rank-and-file employees. “I don’t think the team will be in really good hands until Paul sells the club,” Harry told me in 2013."
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?