Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

MIL put an end to any talk that they aren't ready.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    MIL put an end to any talk that they aren't ready.
    I think they can only do that if they win the Eastern Conference finals.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I think they can only do that if they win the Eastern Conference finals.
    (referring to their 20-0 run without Giannis against MIA in the 4th). But, yes....certainly it's the NBA Finals for a minimum of expectations for them.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The West 8 seed race has been super fun. Not surprised that Portland has been good since they got their team back, but the Phoenix Suns would never have guessed that.

Also the Jazz play the Spurs today without Mitchell, Gobert, Conley and O’Neale. If the Clarkson 50 point game was ever going to happen...

Sacramento and NOLA have the exact same overall record. As a UK fan, I remember D'Aaron Fox destroying UCLA and Lonzo Ball in the NCAA Tournament. Nothing has changed. 30/10/3/3/1 is getting it done on both ends.

I suspect NOLA's going to have to let Ingram go in order to let Williamson eat. Ingram just cannot stick with opposing SF. Neither can Zion. (And, to be fair, he doesn't want to yet.) Ball has become better at defense than I ever thought he would, but he's still underwhelming. They need an elite 3 and D guy on the wing, perhaps two. Dealing Ingram's RFA for that guy would make sense.

I'd relax on crowning Milwaukee king of anything. Miami didn't have Jimmy Butler in this game. That said, Kendrick Nunn has really struggled in the bubble. 12 of 37 from the floor (and 5 of 17 from deep) don't help a team fighting for seeding-- especially if that's really his only skill. As the playoffs begin, look for Miami to play Iguodala and Herro much more. (Herro has such a confidence about him. But he is brutal with the ball (loose handle) and on the ball (rookie defense).

Miami's frontcourt defense was perhaps the worst it's been all season. That'll be interesting to watch, as Philly and Boston can take advantage.

Booker's line is deceiving. 20/10/3 is good, no doubt, but he's getting the '86 Bulls stop-Jordan-at-all-costs treatment. What's weird is that the Suns are doing this without Kelly Oubre and Aron Baynes. Both of whom have been very good this season. Part of the reason? Cameron Payne has been outstanding in a reserve guard role. He's always been talented, but has a history of clanking. Perhaps it's because he's been given extended minutes? Perhaps it's a hot streak? Nice to see, at any rate. 11/3/2 across 20 mpg would be among the best backup guards in the league. 53% shooting from deep helps, obviously, but he's only averaging 1.0 TO/ game and helping on D with almost two steals/blocks. Nice find.

Rick Carlisle does some stuff as coach that's difficult for me to wrap my head around. Almost always, it turns out to be genius. (The Rajon Rondo friction is perhaps his biggest blunder. That team could have, IMO, done some damage if he'd just given Rondo more leash. Instead... Ah well.) I can't figure out why he's playing Trey Burke 30+ minutes in a game against the Clippers he could have won. Delon Wright was better on the night, has been better in his career, and will be better in the future.

Ivica Zubac was 10-10 from the floor with 15 rebounds. Marcus Morris finally had a very good game at PF. That's an interesting team, IMO. Montrezl plays hard, no doubt, but his lack of rim protection will always be an issue. If Zubac is developing (only 23) into what he could be, they may make some serious noise. The team works much better with Morris and Zubac joining Leonard and George and one of Beverly or Sweet Lou at crunch time.

Jusuf Nurkic is taking a step forward. Partially, I suspect, because he's been given the minutes (over 30 mpg for the first time in his career). He's the guy the offense runs through when he's on the floor too. (4 assists from a center is outstanding.) For the first time in his career, he's also blocking shots at a high rate. Part of his coming-out party is that he's undeniably more aggressive. (3.6 more shots per 36 underscores that.) Part of it is that he's playing at a high level defensively. That makes his entire team better, as they just don't have any defenders worth a crap without him. He's integral to the Blazer D. He has to be this Nurkic for them to sniff the playoffs.

Love to see Porter's emergence in Denver, but it comes at a cost. Paul Milsap is the captain of their defense and, while he's lost a (couple) step(s), he's still really smart. Porter's lackadaisical approach on D means other Nuggets have to pick up the slack. They've struggled to do so. Harris is due back this week. Murray should be back before the playoffs. Those are two starters who'll be rested and ready. It'll be fun to watch who goes to the bench when they return. Jerami Grant is mercurial, but necessary. Milsap is steady and smart. Barton is a scorer.

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-07-2020)

So...Ben Simmons is out for potentially to 6 weeks with a partially dislocated kneecap.

I don't really think they were going anywhere in the playoffs anyway but I'm consistently disappointed that, as a Sixers fan, I don't get to have nice things.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

OKC threw up an absolute stinker today v Memphis who have been awful in the bubble

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Kpeeeeeeeee....where are youuuuuuuu???
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    So...Ben Simmons is out for potentially to 6 weeks with a partially dislocated kneecap.

I don't really think they were going anywhere in the playoffs anyway but I'm consistently disappointed that, as a Sixers fan, I don't get to have nice things.
    I think this may be beneficial to the Sixers, honestly.

Embiid becomes the focal point of the offense (as he should be). He gets to eat as much as he wants.
    Harris becomes the secondary scorer and primary playmaker. (Which he's shown he can do already.)
    Al Horford can be a solid PF and tertiary scorer (and primary defender).
    Alec Burks can shoot from deep and handle as a secondary playmaker.
    Richardson can shoot (most seasons), handle, and bring the ball up the court.

I like the balance of that team.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    The Blazer are going to be unbeaten... from now on. Now, Lillard is mad, and there's no stopping an angry Damon Lillard. He'll drag his team to an unbeaten streak. Besides, we all know it was the ref's faults. Too many fouls called on Portland. Not enough on LA. With Kawki Leonard getting all the calls-- oh, he didn't play in this game? Okay then, Paul George-- when it's crunchtime, you know George is-- oh, he only played two minutes in the 4th quarter? Okay, then. Well, Montrezl Har-- oh yeah, he wasn't in there either. Or Beverley. (Who sucks, btw.)

Anyway, the refs blew it.

Blazers will win the championship.

Unbeaten!

From now on!

13. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    That one hurt. Dame has never done that before, will never do that again (choked on two free throws with a chance to tie and take the lead with under 20 seconds left, in addition to missing many wide open '3''s). George and Beverly were celebrating his misses because Dame has sent both of them home in tbe playoffs, so they have a high expectation of what he can do.

No time to sulk. Next game PHO tomorrow afternoon/evening.

The Blazers played without Rodney Hood, Trevor Ariza, Hassan Whiteside and Caleb Swanigan, but no excuses. Dame missed shots he normally makes. These morning games have always been an issue for West Coast teams.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-08-2020 at 08:56 PM.

Blazers, as I have said all along, and they still control their own destiny, will be playing the Lakers in the 1st Rd.

TCB, Baby!

Jevon Carter balled out tonight for the Suns who won again against the Heat. Carter was 6 of 8 from 3....20 Points, 4 Rebounds, 3 Assists, 1 Steal and 1 Block...with no turnovers in 26 minutes.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Break up the Suns!

Phoenix beats Miami for their fifth win since being put in the bubble.

Devin Booker is playing the best basketball of his career and would get some votes for an All-NBA team, had they decided to wait to vote until, y'know, after the season was over. (Sigh.) Cam Johnson and Javon Carter had excellent offensive games for the Suns. Tyler Herro, starting in place of Kendrick Nunn, went 10-16 with 10 assists and 8 rebounds in 36 minutes. Jimmy Butler took another game off. (This is beginning to get concerning for Miami.) Herro should get some All-Rookie votes. 13/4/2 is good, but he'd put up bigger numbers, I suspect, with more playing time. (His per 36 aren't Ja-worthy, but they're in that next tier below.) He's been given more clock and more rope since the bubble (and with Nunn struggling)-- and been really good.

19. Likes:

M2 (08-08-2020)

Turn Off Ads?