Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 67 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The comeback was exciting, but Portland's defense is not good. Collins got cooked on the perimeter. Melo's a turnstile. Kemba was able to get into their interior at will. On the bright side, Nurk looks good. He even got punched in the face, which is his signature move.
    I heard on the broadcast yesterday that their defense ranked 27th in the league...not gonna get far with that type of defense!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

2. Turn Off Ads?

The comeback was exciting, but Portland's defense is not good. Collins got cooked on the perimeter. Melo's a turnstile. Kemba was able to get into their interior at will. On the bright side, Nurk looks good. He even got punched in the face, which is his signature move.
    I was told by NBA talking heads that Melo had slimmed down for this run, and would no longer be the black hole on offense and the invisible man on defense? Guess they lied.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

4. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-03-2020),M2 (08-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Johnson's game fits pretty well with what SA does. Nice size, handle and can shoot. He should also be an excellent defender in time. White and Murray are kinda on that edge of about to become pretty good NBAers too. DDR deferring to the young guys has been cool to see. Lotta pieces there, not sure any are gonna be great, but hey whatever works heh.
    Yeah, the Spurs really value adequacy in their players. White, Murray, Bryn Forbes, Johnson, maybe Lonnie Walker-- that's a lot of backcourt and wing players who are solid, young NBA role players.

They need a couple stars to fit around them.

After next season, they'll have an absolute ton of money if they want to spend it.

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Cam Johnson was great tonight too. To pick or not to pick him for my DFS lineup cost me a lot of money. I didn't, and he went 10x. 19-12-4
    This will be an interesting little season-within-a-season tryout for a bunch of kids who often don't see opportunities come along. (That's one reason I like it, honestly.)

Role players and guys who barely play have a real chance to challenge for more playing time and convince teams they should be protected/ given more minutes/ traded for. Deep cuts like DaQuan Jeffries (SAC), Chris Chiozza (BKN), and Jevon Carter (PHO) can't play much better than they have. That could well get them on the radar of GMs or lead to more consistent minutes.

Not only that, you're going to see some guys take an inordinate amount of shots because stars are either injured, sick, or opted out. Thomas Bryant took 20 shots-- and six threes-- in the Wizards' last game. He was the Washington offense. That ability to step out and shoot could make him a super attractive tertiary option in an offense wherein Wall has proven he'll find guys open looks. Caris LeVert-- and, to a lesser extent, Jarret Allen-- are doing to same thing in Brooklyn. Both are already quality NBA players, but they're trying to make the case for being the third wheel with Kyrie and Durant. (They'd also make attractive trade chips, if the aforementioned duo remain unimpressed.)

All have opportunities they might not have otherwise received. All stories will be fun to watch.

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-03-2020)

Thoughts at halftime of the first of a full slate of NBA games for the first time since I don't know how long:

1. I'm not sure if there's a more underrated player than Serge Ibaka. Consistently good three-point shooter, consistently good defense, consistently solid rebounder-- every team needs him. If I'm a GM, he's among my first calls this off-season.

2. Andre Iguodala looks gassed. Might have been a really bad move by Pat Riley. We will see.

3. Kendrick Nunn looks horrible in this game. I mean, unplayable bad. G League bad.

4. Nick Nurse is the best coach in the NBA. Or at least he's really, really good. He's phenomenal at knowing when to switch defenses to confuse the other team. His teams also seem to score remarkably easy out of set plays and out of bounds plays. They're unflappable, in control, and play frenetically. It's such a joy to watch.

Kemba had how many Assists? Oh, yeah...14 fewer than Dame. We won't even talk about points.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I heard on the broadcast yesterday that their defense ranked 27th in the league...not gonna get far with that type of defense!
    There are Defenisve rankings after two games that are worthy of any "intelligent" discussion? Because the only games that matter are the ones that began on Thursday.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I was told by NBA talking heads that Melo had slimmed down for this run, and would no longer be the black hole on offense and the invisible man on defense? Guess they lied.
    ...according to whom?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

All of this just goes to show what little,... people actually know about the NBA. For the umpteenth time, Portland will prove people wrong and advance to play the Lakers in the 1st Rd. That series will be 50/50 tossup and go seven.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    All of this just goes to show what little,... people actually know about the NBA. For the umpteenth time, Portland will prove people wrong and advance to play the Lakers in the 1st Rd. That series will be 50/50 tossup and go seven.
    Wait.

I thought Portland was going to go unbeaten...?

14. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-03-2020),M2 (08-03-2020)

Kemba had how many Assists? Oh, yeah...14 fewer than Dame. We won't even talk about points.
    Kemba was on a minutes restriction and he's just playing his way back in. Still went 5-6 with a +7 (+3 on the game for Dame). In fact he played exactly half the minutes Dame did. Take him out to Dame's minutes and he scores 28 (Dame got 30) with a +14. Not exactly a flattering comparison for your guy.

Mind you, the point was that a guard (or wing) with a handle seems able to carve up Portland's defenders.

- - - Updated - - -

There are Defenisve rankings after two games that are worthy of any "intelligent" discussion? Because the only games that matter are the ones that began on Thursday.
    Let's do that. Portland's giving up 131.5 ppg since returning. Is that good defense?
    Last edited by M2; 08-03-2020 at 05:21 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

16. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-03-2020)

Thomas Bryant is 9-12 today with 11 rebounds so far. Zero free throws. He let Myles Turner go for 17/9. (Because no one on the Wiz plays D.)

Jerome Robinson is a chucker-- 18 shots in 28 minutes. As the 3rd guard off the bench. That's some serious confidence.

Every time I see Nerlens Noel, I think he's being shortchanged as a 15 - 20 mpg backup center. In the right situation, he'd be an ideal rim runner/ defensive pest. Think a poor man's Dennis Rodman.

Michael Porter Jr. went 37-12 in Denver's win over OKC today. If he's for real, that team becomes extremely dangerous.

T.J. Warren posted a 34-11 as the Pacers beat the Wizards.

Michael Porter Jr. went 37-12 in Denver's win over OKC today. If he's for real, that team becomes extremely dangerous.

T.J. Warren posted a 34-11 as the Pacers beat the Wizards.
    Denver with 2 absolute draft steals: Porter Jr. and Bol.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Patient and willing to gamble on injury.

It helps to have all the depth.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    That Jokic guy who who went 30-12-10 isn't bad either.

Turn Off Ads?