Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 60 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

They're still hammering out the particulars of how to basketball and how to Orlando, but it seems like they're gonna basketball and they're gonna Orlando.

Might as well start this off with who you think is a serious playoff sleeper team, Who's got a serious shot at winning this thing or going way deeper than anyone expects? Kingspoint doesn't get to pick Portland (sorry, that's the rule).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Re: NBA 2010-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Pacers. Already liked the roster but now Oladipo should be more than ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Pacers. Already liked the roster but now Oladipo should be more than ready.
    Should he be? I question whether months of not playing basketball has knocked the rust off his game.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Should he be? I question whether months of not playing basketball has knocked the rust off his game.
    Oladipo is a work horse. Guarantee you he has been busting his tail to be ready when the season resumes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    How about changing the thread title to 2019 instead of 2010?

- - - Updated - - -

Blazers, of course. Lakers already said that the Blazers are the last team they want to face in the 1st Round. Injured Dame's 48 on Kobe Night was just a preview.
    Are the Blazers even gonna make the playoffs?
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Oladipo is a work horse. Guarantee you he has been busting his tail to be ready when the season resumes.
    I'm not questioning his effort, just dubious about how much game rust he can knock off without playing games. I'm sure he bust his tail before he came back too, but he laying bricks and consistently a step behind the flow of the game. I'm not sure the A version of Dipo is coming back this season. More power to him if he does. I like Indiana's team. Brogdon and Warren were two of the best moves last summer. I just figure everyone who misses a year is going to take some time to regain their game.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Are the Blazers even gonna make the playoffs?
    Yes.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Yes.
    Let's ask Zion what he thinks about that.

8. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-24-2020)

Who's got a serious shot at winning this thing or going way deeper than anyone expects?
    Honestly, I'm having a hard time picking a solid upset choice.

Philly has the most talent, but they've been worse than the sum of their parts all season. If Brown suddenly realizes Horford needs to play limited minutes in lieu of more spacing/ another ball handler, that might make a difference. But Simmons has become a Tony Allen-sized square peg on offense. He gums up the works in a rotation (and offensive set) that depends on ball sharing and shooting. (Which makes Embiid, an elite post player, step outside way too often.) Were I Brown, I'd stagger the minutes of Embiid and Simmons and play the Australian as a modern version of 1980 Finals Magic. At center. He'd be less of a liability as the spoke around which the offense could hum. With four shooters (Thybulle, Burks, Horford, Korkmaz?), that team could cook. Embiid could get Richardson, Harris, Robinson, and Melton as the primary ball handler. They could mix and match for just about any team.

That said, Boston is the absolute worst match-up for Philly because they can also play chameleon ball. They have just as much depth. And a better coach. Kanter can actually guard enough at the big to keep him in the game and take advantage of his screens and offensive rebounding. (Stevens' defensive acumen gets consistently undersold. He may be a wizard. He's made Kanter into one of the better statistical defenders on Boston's team and in the league. Part of that is situational, part is Kanter's work ethic, and part is Stevens' understanding of how his team needs to play.)

I'd pick Boston to move to the Finals-- as they have that type of talent-- but they don't match up well with either Toronto or Milwaukee.

Out West, I think it's the Lakers or Clippers.

10. Likes:

M2 (06-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Honestly, I'm having a hard time picking a solid upset choice.

Philly has the most talent, but they've been worse than the sum of their parts all season. If Brown suddenly realizes Horford needs to play limited minutes in lieu of more spacing/ another ball handler, that might make a difference. But Simmons has become a Tony Allen-sized square peg on offense. He gums up the works in a rotation (and offensive set) that depends on ball sharing and shooting. (Which makes Embiid, an elite post player, step outside way too often.) Were I Brown, I'd stagger the minutes of Embiid and Simmons and play the Australian as a modern version of 1980 Finals Magic. At center. He'd be less of a liability as the spoke around which the offense could hum. With four shooters (Thybulle, Burks, Horford, Korkmaz?), that team could cook. Embiid could get Richardson, Harris, Robinson, and Melton as the primary ball handler. They could mix and match for just about any team.

That said, Boston is the absolute worst match-up for Philly because they can also play chameleon ball. They have just as much depth. And a better coach. Kanter can actually guard enough at the big to keep him in the game and take advantage of his screens and offensive rebounding. (Stevens' defensive acumen gets consistently undersold. He may be a wizard. He's made Kanter into one of the better statistical defenders on Boston's team and in the league. Part of that is situational, part is Kanter's work ethic, and part is Stevens' understanding of how his team needs to play.)

I'd pick Boston to move to the Finals-- as they have that type of talent-- but they don't match up well with either Toronto or Milwaukee.

Out West, I think it's the Lakers or Clippers.
    My take on the East is there's four coaches who seem a step ahead of the rest - Bud, Nurse, Stevens and Spo. I don't like Philly's chances just because of Brett Brown. Seems like the Sixers are staring at a tough first-round matchup no matter what and I feel like Brown gets outcoached in any of them. The upside for Philly is Embiid will be fresh.

For a sleeper in the East, I'll take Miami. Lots of shooters. Bam's becoming a real star. Dragic and Iguodala are healthy. And we've seen Jimmy Butler elevate his game. I think they're the toughest matchup for Milwaukee. Though, for the record, I do think the East is Milwaukee's to lose.

In the West I'm trying to figure out what skinny Nikola Jokic means. Is that better? Or does he get pushed around? If it unlocks a new level to his game, then Denver could be a sleeper. Though I like Houston to climb into that 4-5 matchup, win it and then give the Lakers hell. I'm not sure anyone can keep Russ away from the rim and this seems like the perfect moment for a James Harden redemption playoffs.

So, I'll got Bucks-Rockets for the final.

The season is over as far as I'm concerned. Is that a legitimate response?

And has Orlando really been the hoopingest place on earth for an entire decade?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    The season is over as far as I'm concerned. Is that a legitimate response?

And has Orlando really been the hoopingest place on earth for an entire decade?
    A rested Harden speaks volumes.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

- - - Updated - - -

Blazers, of course. Lakers already said that the Blazers are the last team they want to face in the 1st Round. Injured Dame's 48 on Kobe Night was just a preview.

Doh! Can't get into the original to edit it. If a mod could change that 0 to 9, would be much appreciative.

They're still hammering out the particulars of how to basketball and how to Orlando, but it seems like they're gonna basketball and they're gonna Orlando.

Might as well start this off with who you think is a serious playoff sleeper team, Who's got a serious shot at winning this thing or going way deeper than anyone expects? Kingspoint doesn't get to pick Portland (sorry, that's the rule).

Sorry, didn't see your post.

OK. I'll play.

Too much dissension in UTA. DEN and PHI do not have the killer instinct. OKC is the most fun pick in the West while IND is the most fun pick in the East.

Have to go with HOU out West and BOS in the East as far as upsets with TOR, MIL, LAL and LAC being the four favorites.

17. Likes:

M2 (06-15-2020)

Sorry, didn't see your post.

OK. I'll play.

Too much dissension in UTA. DEN and PHI do not have the killer instinct. OKC is the most fun pick in the West while IND is the most fun pick in the East.

Have to go with HOU out West and BOS in the East as far as upsets with TOR, MIL, LAL and LAC being the four favorites.
    Because you (M2) didn't let me pick POR, I posted this back in June to the first question of the 1st post. Now that the playoffs are ready to begin this weekend, nothing has changed from my original post. Still looks like HOU to me in the West, BOS in the east as far as upsets winning it all, with the aforementioned TOR, MIL, LAL, and LAC being the favorites still.

Of course, POR is going to win it all.

Turn Off Ads?