Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Or, alternatively, no one gets apoplectic about the term "white boy" so there isn't much to see here.
    Some posters don't seem to grasp the idea that the term "boy" can have negative connotations in one respect and not the other.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Giannis vs. Bam is going to be fascinating. Butler vs. Middleton too.

Agreed about 3-point accuracy, though that's attached to whose depth delivers.
    Bam's going to get eaten alive, I suspect. Giannis on a mission is undeniable.

If I'm Spo, I'm not sure which way to play it:

- Do I play Bam one-on-one with Giannis, knowing he's not yet where he needs to be? At best, Bam ends up with 5 TO's, but a fouled-out and/or exhausted Giannis late is the best scenario possible.
    - Do I double Giannis every possession and make Middleton and company beat me? That hasn't worked for the rest of the NBA. Who doubles? Butler? Seems like a tall order.

I'm playing with the idea of whether it'd be a good idea to let Duncan Robinson play Giannis one-on-one defensively, sic Bam on Middleton and deny everyone else.

One talking head mentioned Luka Doncic in the same breath as Larry Bird this morning.

I laughed.

Then I thought some more about the comparison.

I didn't laugh after thinking on it.

5. Likes:

Chip R (08-25-2020),M2 (08-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    One talking head mentioned Luka Doncic in the same breath as Larry Bird this morning.

I laughed.

Then I thought some more about the comparison.

I didn't laugh after thinking on it.
    Bill Simmons is unironically calling him Luka Legend.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Bill Simmons is unironically calling him Luka Legend.
    Step slow? Check.

Ridiculous vision? Check.

Makes others better? Check.

Rebounds remarkably well? Check.

Tougher than he looks? Check.

Irrational confidence? Yup.

The only thing Doncic doesn't do (yet) is shoot the ball well. Then again, Bird's second season saw him slump to less than 30% shooting from deep. (And he mostly stayed down there until 1984.)

8. Likes:

Chip R (08-25-2020)

Kyle Lowry's ankle sprain could affect the upcoming series with the Celtics. If he's healthy, I think I like the Raptors in that series. If he's not, I think I like the Celtics.

As a Magic fan I just wish they would just call the series. We have no shooting. Fournier is yesterdays trash and Ross has shot 6/22 from outside for the series. Fournier is 14/43 from the field (32.5%) for the series as of right now. He more than likely picks up his PO for next season (17 mil) so i'll have to suffer through another season of them trying to make him a focal point on offense again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Step slow? Check.

Ridiculous vision? Check.

Makes others better? Check.

Rebounds remarkably well? Check.

Tougher than he looks? Check.

Irrational confidence? Yup.

The only thing Doncic doesn't do (yet) is shoot the ball well. Then again, Bird's second season saw him slump to less than 30% shooting from deep. (And he mostly stayed down there until 1984.)
    Luka's combination of skill, confidence, youth, and competitive fire is almost unfathomable. Man, is he fun to watch.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    As a Magic fan I just wish they would just call the series. We have no shooting. Fournier is yesterdays trash and Ross has shot 6/22 from outside for the series. Fournier is 14/43 from the field (32.5%) for the series as of right now. He more than likely picks up his PO for next season (17 mil) so i'll have to suffer through another season of them trying to make him a focal point on offense again.
    That's so weird, because Fournier had been having his best season before the bubble. Had he kept that up he'd be opting out and getting paid. Though I still think the most glaring problem with the Magic is they need someone to run that team and it's never going to be Fultz.

That's so weird, because Fournier had been having his best season before the bubble. Had he kept that up he'd be opting out and getting paid. Though I still think the most glaring problem with the Magic is they need someone to run that team and it's never going to be Fultz.
    If Fultz doesn't significantly improve next season (his shooting) then they should not meet his 15M QO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    If Fultz doesn't significantly improve next season (his shooting) then they should not meet his 15M QO.
    I'd like to see them be more proactive. They were 25th in pace and 27th in eFG% this season.

They've got $122M on the books for next season. They're paying Vuce, Gordon and Fournier to be good now. They're paying Ross and Aminu to be quality bench/rotation players. Seems to me they've got two choices: either figure out how to be legit good next season (as in 50ish wins and advancing in the playoffs) or blow that thing up. Seeing that they were in the wilderness for so long before this, I figure they ought to try to make it work. Move a bigger guy - Gordon or Vuce - and add a full-service PG and a wing who can shoot.

16. Likes:

BillDoran (08-24-2020),Revering4Blue (08-24-2020)

18. Likes:

SteelSD (08-24-2020)

Hey, Brett Brown just got canned. Can't claim all of it was his fault, but a lot of it was his fault.

texasdave beat me to it. I suspect every Sixers fan just got their wish.

20. Likes:

SteelSD (08-24-2020)

I'd like to see them be more proactive. They were 25th in pace and 27th in eFG% this season.

They've got $122M on the books for next season. They're paying Vuce, Gordon and Fournier to be good now. They're paying Ross and Aminu to be quality bench/rotation players. Seems to me they've got two choices: either figure out how to be legit good next season (as in 50ish wins and advancing in the playoffs) or blow that thing up. Seeing that they were in the wilderness for so long before this, I figure they ought to try to make it work. Move a bigger guy - Gordon or Vuce - and add a full-service PG and a wing who can shoot.
    They've got wwaayy too much money wrapped up in mediocre players. Blow it up, and I'm not sure anybody's off limits. I do like Clifford though.

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-24-2020),Rojo Rijo (08-24-2020)

Or, alternatively, no one gets apoplectic about the term "white boy" so there isn't much to see here.
    Or you do not routinely bend yourself into a pretzel to ensure everything fits neatly into your preferred reality....just saying maybe that could be it...
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?