Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Michael Porter Jr. went 37-12 in Denver's win over OKC today. If he's for real, that team becomes extremely dangerous.

T.J. Warren posted a 34-11 as the Pacers beat the Wizards.
    OKC absolutely bombed that game. Offence stalled when they went up by 7 with 2 minutes to go.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    All of this just goes to show what little,... people actually know about the NBA. For the umpteenth time, Portland will prove people wrong and advance to play the Lakers in the 1st Rd. That series will be 50/50 tossup and go seven.
    Portland already is proving people wrong...YOU!!!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Portland already is proving people wrong...YOU!!!
    SAS loses. POR controls their own destiny, just as I stated.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Kemba was on a minutes restriction and he's just playing his way back in. Still went 5-6 with a +7 (+3 on the game for Dame). In fact he played exactly half the minutes Dame did. Take him out to Dame's minutes and he scores 28 (Dame got 30) with a +14. Not exactly a flattering comparison for your guy.

Mind you, the point was that a guard (or wing) with a handle seems able to carve up Portland's defenders.
    We knew we'd miss Ariza against All-Star caliber wings. That was a given. A brand new lineup takes more than two games for the Defense to gel. It's because the Defense improved in the 2nd Halves that they were able to overcome 13 and 22 point deficits to take the lead in both games early in the 4th Quarters. There's no defense against the two threes that BOS made at the 55 and 35 second marks of the 4th. You play straight up and make them take tough shots. They hit them. Nothing you can do. We still came back with a chance to tie, but Marcus Smart did what I said when he was a rookie that he was capable of doing and that Ainge would never trade him because he's a rotation player needed to win a Championship.

Nurkic's Defense has been excellent. Collins' has been good. Trent's has been good. Dame injured himslef in the MEM game. Pulled an abdominable muscle. C.J.' has been good. Whiteside has been atrocious (3 boards total in two games, or something like that). Hezonja had a good first game (saved their bacon with his play when all the bigs were being whistled just for being on the floor), and was closer to his bad self in the 2nd game. Melo had a great Offensive game vs MEM, and bad one vs BOS. He's not going to hang with Brown or Tatum. Ain't going to happen.

Next up: HOU on TNT, 9:00 p.m. E.S.T. Let's just say there's some history there, especially with Westbrook. Then the gauntlet continues with DEN and a whole lot of history. Nurk will be looking forward to this one.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

All of this just goes to show what little,... people actually know about the NBA. For the umpteenth time, Portland will prove people wrong and advance to play the Lakers in the 1st Rd. That series will be 50/50 tossup and go seven.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Michael Porter Jr. went 37-12 in Denver's win over OKC today. If he's for real, that team becomes extremely dangerous.
    he is for real, but may need more time to become consistent.....brilliant move by Denver FO. I thin the odds are better than even that Bol Bol ends up being another good decision by the FO.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Trent's interesting. He can shoot, and if you can shoot you've got a job. Seems a willing defender if not necessarily a good one. So he's got at least a 3-and-D future. Doesn't do a lot with the ball other than shoot - doesn't shake defenders or distribute. Doesn't do a lot to fill up the box score, though the space he creates allows others to fill it up. Still trying to figure out if I like him better as a big guard or a small forward.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Yea Michael Porter Jr is officially a thing now. Not like this guy is a flash in the pan. Nugs are gonna get Murray back soonish and probably Harris and Barton too I think. They have that tree lineup with all the giants and Jokic at point, plus all kinds of guards they'll be able to mix in. Love this Nuggets team, they could win it all this year. So many different ways they can play and win.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

SAS loses. POR controls their own destiny, just as I stated.
    LOL...that wasn't the case when you stated it tho!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

NBA's television ratings have been so low since returning, have to wonder if they regret not cancelling the season.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    NBA's television ratings have been so low since returning, have to wonder if they regret not cancelling the season.
    I'm not surprised. People aren't used to following basketball in August. Things should liven up a bit with the playoffs. I don't think there was anyway the NBA was cancelling this season. Way too much money they would've had to return in TV deals. Plus they've done an excellent job with the bubble.

13. Likes:

M2 (08-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    I'm not surprised. People aren't used to following basketball in August. Things should liven up a bit with the playoffs. I don't think there was anyway the NBA was cancelling this season. Way too much money they would've had to return in TV deals. Plus they've done an excellent job with the bubble.
    The article I read suggested there is no way to identify the primary reason this soon. Some suspect it is mostly a result of the social justice infusion to the games, but others point to the clear different environment that comes through the television without 18K fans in the stands. The NBA was hopeful based on some sports related rating successes like the Manning/Woods and Brady/Mickelson golf event, but their ratings have been well below their pre COVID ratings when the consumer should have had more options with less available time. It should also be noted that MLB ratings have been less than projected also to this point.

I expected lower ratings....maybe not the first week, but I expected diminished ratings. People have had a lot of time to find other ways to fill those free time voids that were used on watching sports. I did not expect the guy that has began to take long bike rides in the evenings or the lady that has became more engaged in a community group to immediately cease these new activities the day sports returned. Still, I expect over time, those fans that found new hobbies or entertainment to fill the void will find their way back to seeking sports for entertainment.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I haven't watched because I suspected the Jazz would suck, and they've sucked. I'll probably watch one or two of their playoff games as they're being swept.

There definitely IS something to the environment question, though. The highlights I have watched look a bit like a glorified TBT. And there's nothing inherently wrong with the TBT, and it's nice to have real sports return...it's just not the same as your typical NBA environment. By the way, if lack of environment makes the NBA less appealing to watch, it's likely to make college basketball almost completely unwatchable.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 08-04-2020 at 09:46 AM.

The NBA ratings have been pretty solid, at least for the national prime time games. Most have been between 1.5-4M viewers and easily winning the demo.

The Jazz have no bench with Bojan out and guys that normally make 3's have seen a lot of open looks rim out. They played pretty well last night and against NO, but they have to hit 3's to win and they haven't yet. It's a weird situation to be in because who cares if you are the 3 seed or the 6 seed? The second half of the OKC game, I'm not sure they were even trying to come back and win, they were just trying out stuff on offense and rotations. Which is fine, but isn't super fun to watch.

I've generally liked the environment all things considered. It looks good on TV and they clearly put a lot of thought into how it would look and feel. Obviously it would be better to be playing at home infront of fans, but it's looked the best of all the sports that have come back so far.

17. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-04-2020),M2 (08-04-2020),Revering4Blue (08-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    The NBA ratings have been pretty solid, at least for the national prime time games. Most have been between 1.5-4M viewers and easily winning the demo.
    That makes sense. Weekday afternoon and early evening games aren't going to be ratings blockbusters.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?